Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my new car home... now what's THIS about???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 12:38 AM
Random255
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my new car home... now what's THIS about???

Well fellow Rennlisters, I've got my "new" car home. I think I'm in for some work...

The muffler is currently in the trunk. The small oil leak I was told about translates to a ton of white smoke coming out the back end as the oil hits the exhaust manifold and burns. Of course the shift boot contains a giant gaping hole, meaning white smoke also comes up to greet my passenger and I as we joyfully scoot down the road.

That part doesn't bother me too much, however. Here's what bugs me...

When we got the car home, I parked it in the garage and took a good long look under the hood. My buddy Shawn pointed out something odd... it looks like the hood has an unusual gap that should be filled by...something... and we can look down and directly see the fly wheel. Is that normal?

Here a picture of the above issue.

If I zoom out a bit, then you can see the whole engine bay...

Other oddities include a windshield wiper held on by chicken wire, a non working radio/speaker set, no dome light, AC was questionable in general, fuel gauge didn't work but did eventually show a red light (maybe a low fuel indicator?), odometer is stuck as is the trip mileage indicator, standard cracks in the seats and dash, and... well I think that's it. Oh, the battery wasn't strong enough to start the car on its own, but has been replaced already.

Despite all this, I'm still very excited to have a working vehicle at such a nice price point. I'm looking forward to getting started. Any advice you've got on the above issues would be great, especially the fly wheel issue.

-Justin
Old 08-02-2009, 12:41 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well atleast you got it home! LOL
Old 08-02-2009, 12:49 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

It is missing a splash guard covering the bottom of the flywheel...

DC Auto is a decent place to get replacement bits... item number 21 is what you need...
http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/19605961

Also there are peeps on here from time to time with parts for sale at excellent prices... I usualy let parts go for cost of shipping myself... but that is because I am getting rid of a part that otherwise I would be throwing out...

Good Luck, and don't forget your family on here... there are some on here with more experience on these cars than you have time on gods green earth...

Have fun and just keep telling yourself it is all about the journey...
Old 08-02-2009, 12:53 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

AND at least the interior (other than the shift boot) looks to be in decent shape...

The engine bay needs a good hard pressure spray (or lots of engine degreaser and hose time) the entire engine bay is a basket case... but with effort and work it will look great...

PM me your address and I'll get you started with a shiney new throttle response cam... gratis
Old 08-02-2009, 01:06 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the family!

You've got some work ahead of you, but thats what you, and us are here for.

There is a TON of information to help you fix you car, and some very capable people to answer questions you can't find using "Search"

Like John said, keep us posted on your progress.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:34 AM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

all she needs is a good cleaning to make it shiny again !!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:01 AM
Pure Bob Saget
Rennlist Member

at least its got a straight body. welcome and good luck with the new project
Old 08-02-2009, 03:11 AM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

yes.. red light means your almost out of fuel. Engine bay should clean up nicely.

How much you pay?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:27 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of the things you mentioned are simply repairs.

And most A/C on 944's don't work anyway...so ignore that till everything else is done.

I would focus on the oil leak first.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:47 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like the cork gasket on the rear of the cambox is leaking. Three ten mm bolts- they usually get loose when the cork gasket shrinks up. The bolts just get snug or you'll break them off, and do not put any sealer on the gasket if you replace it. Loctite on the bolts is the best bet.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Random255
Advanced

Yeah, the oil leak is priority one, because I went thru 5 quarts of oil in as little as 450 miles. The entire back of my car was soaked.

Also, I owned a Porsche for 1 day, and was pulled over by the highway patrol 1 time. By extrapolating the data, you can tell that by day twelve, I'll be pulled over TONS of time. My car was smoking so bad, he couldn't help but make sure I wasn't on fire. Then he let me go with a warning, considering I'd purchased the car just hours before.

So oil is job one. Job two will be making this thing ready for inspection, because it's from out of state. The muffler MUST be back on. The horn doesn't work (it's got a crappy aftermarket faux wood wheel, could be wiring). Mirrors and wipers all work. Emissions tests are not performed in my state (Kansas). I can get a 30 day tag and then I'll have that much time to get it readied.

WOOT!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:38 PM
persept
Intermediate

Just know that your catalytic converter, and probably your oxygen sensor are already destroyed if there's smoke coming out the exhaust. But overall, seems like good fun trying to get everything working. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:11 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

You're screwed.

...have fun!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:52 PM
krystar
Drifting

man that's ALOT of gunk hehe. i'd prob say go over to local diy car wash and spray that engine down so u can see where it's dripping from
Old 08-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Wow.... like dude Ive never seen a dirtier engine bay. haha. Super high pressure wash maybe? ha.

But good luck!

Quick Reply: Got my new car home... now what's THIS about???