Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ahh craigslist...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Teeson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile ahh craigslist...

so being new here (ya first post) i dont actually have a 944 yet
I've been looking for one and may be a little picky (red 951 newer) and came across this...

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1288548167.html

correct me if im wrong but that is a toyota supra body kit on its nose. i giggled
(yes this is in canada)
Old 07-30-2009, 06:38 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just died a little inside, looking at that...

Old 07-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Equilibria
Advanced

Welcome from another Vancouverite :-)

Haven't seen a nice red 951 for sale locally anytime in the past year, at least not thru the regular channels (craigslist, buysell, autotrader). There is a red 86 951 that you may have seen (comes up every couple weeks) for like 12k thats pretty heavily modified, I've never gone to take a look as it doesn't interest me at all. Other than that, finding a nice 951 (for sale) in this city is like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...

Lots of S and S2's though, or at least it seems that way.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:50 PM
sj340
Advanced

Good luck on the search.The problem seems to be that the 944's have dropped in price so that a lot of kids can afford them.
They get modified and torn up at an alarming rate.Who in their right mind would have put that bumper on a nice car.
Maintenance also gets neglected and you end up with a lot of POS on the market.
Don't be in a hurry and you can still find a nice unmolested car.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:29 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

That bumper is HIDEOUS! Looks more like an RX-7 unit to me. Either way looks like it doesn't line up and he forced it to...ew...
Old 07-31-2009, 12:08 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

AWESOME gas mileage: 300 miles per tank (60L)
That's pretty sucky... 20 mpg.

Maybe that hideous thing stuck on the front has something to do with it
Old 07-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Take you time looking for the right car and do not get frustrated sometimes it takes a while to find the one that is right for you. DO not just buy something to buy it and then find out you go the wrong car. And don't be afraid to travel. I had to drive about 3 hours to get mine.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:44 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

KUSTOM YO!!!!!

Yeah man sorry. If it's your first 944 I would consider an NA or an S or S2. Lots of stuff to go wrong with a cheaper turbo.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:32 AM
Teeson
Intermediate

lol ya this guys been trying to sell that heap for quite a while.

so a 951 might not be a good choice if im unfamiliar with the car... hmm.
can i get your opinions on these two then?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1298938900.html

both appear to be babied and in good condition and both have little info posted in these ads.

oh and does anyone know what the stock specs were for the N/A? or what their unmodified N/A has now? im thinking more torque and HP.

btw i hope im not one of those young punks you were describing that wreck these cars. i may be 17, but i would never do that to a car, any car.

thnx again, man im loving this site

t
y
s
Old 08-01-2009, 03:15 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same link posted twice...

Any way, look into having a PPI on any car you are thinking about buying..might be the best hundred dollars or so you could spend... a good PPI (Pre-Purchase-Inspection) will tell you what is wrong, what needs immediate attention, and how much any needed repairs will cost for them to fix...

I bought both of my cars sigh unseen, but for decent prices... and have put substantial money into both, but then they are my cars, and I have a certain need to make them right...

Good luck, and be careful, there are a lot of nice cars out there, but a lot of dogs too...
Old 08-01-2009, 03:51 AM
Pure Bob Saget
Rennlist Member

i would also recommend having it checked out before buying. unless you have plenty of mechanic know how and money to go with it. i got excited about picking up my new 944 for such a good deal and i thought i could get her going again easy like many other projects i've done in the past, but now i kinda feel a$$ raped by the POS PO who lied literally about everything. my car went from 70k original miles that (quote) was running until he got his twin turbo 300zx, it Was supposed to have been non op'd at the DMV, and also had cold A/C. A car that sat for about 3 years and must have had bad gas due to it not starting. now 2 months later my $750 weekend toy has had the joy of recieving a new fuel pump, fuel filter, DME relay, 2 fuel injectors, near full ignition, $550 in back registration, oh and 70k original miles proved by carfax...right, the speedometer works but the odometer doesnt. also bad shimmy up front so either wheel bearings, lower ball joints, or tie rod ends next..
Old 08-01-2009, 04:02 AM
Teeson
Intermediate

my bad

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1287893023.html
(note CDN $$)

ya my dad is a mechanic but also a cynic.
the first time i saw one, i knew i wanted one. the next time i saw one it hydroplaned into a pole. however he doesn't want to end up doing the labour on an old foreign car he knows little about. he also says the electrics on these things are often sketchy. I may some help....

how much on average do you put into one you've just bought? is there any obvious signs to look for specific to the 944?

thnx again

t
y
s
Old 08-01-2009, 04:06 AM
Equilibria
Advanced

Originally Posted by Teeson
lol ya this guys been trying to sell that heap for quite a while.

so a 951 might not be a good choice if im unfamiliar with the car... hmm.
can i get your opinions on these two then?

both appear to be babied and in good condition and both have little info posted in these ads.

oh and does anyone know what the stock specs were for the N/A? or what their unmodified N/A has now? im thinking more torque and HP.

btw i hope im not one of those young punks you were describing that wreck these cars. i may be 17, but i would never do that to a car, any car.

thnx again, man im loving this site

t
y
s
I think I spoke to the owner of that car once, and I'm sure I have the option codes for it somewhere on my computer... If I remember correctly, it does have a LSD tranny. Of all the listings in Vancouver, I'd go take a look at that one and the early red one out in Cloverdale, both are your best bet for good clean examples of a 944.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Pure Bob Saget
Rennlist Member

well if its been sitting or not taken good care of plan on at least 500 to a grand to get it going good. everything is a little more costly than your basic american sports car. example: new spark plugs range from about 119.99 to 279.99 and thats just 4 wires. for 119.99 i can do hiperformance wire, plugs, cap rotor, and an oil change on a 5.0 mustang and smoke the shznit out of my 944, but everyone on here knows that when you own a Porsche, you instantly become slightly better than any one else who doesn't. so you gotta way your options

Quick Reply: ahh craigslist...