Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ramps!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 02:23 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Matt Olde:
<strong>Ken, I have 225 on my 7" tires in the back I believe. Don't you think 9 would be a bit bigger?

BTW, do you like your SFR short shift? Did it reduce the shift greatly? I've heard the autothority sort of "clicks" into gear - does yours?

Thanks,
Matt</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Hey Matt, I think what you meant was you have 7" wheels in the back. The tire itself is a different size that the wheel.

The wheel is 7" which is 175mm (7 * 25mm).

You're tire size of 225 is 9" (225 / 25mm = 9).

Since they state that the ramp itself only handles 9" wide tires, the 225s are the biggest it can handle. The ramps I looked at had a kind of "dish" at the top that the tire would sit in. It was nice because it seems alot harder to drive off the front of the ramp, or have the wheels slide off the side. However, the dish is only 9" wide, so trying to drive a car with bigger than 225s onto the ramp would result in trouble. I just wanted to put a warning out there to people looking at ramps incase they run oversize tires. Expecially since the one I saw were so close the the maxing out at the regular tire size most people run.

I love the SFR short shift kit. My old shift rod was bad and had alot of side to side motion in it. I could have bought factory but I figured this was a great time to upgrade! The shifter is very well put together and reduced my shift throws pretty significantly. The Momo **** I installed is as far down as it can go, so the top on the shifter is about 2-3" below the stock shifter. Another plus(which I though was negative in the beginning) is the Momo **** I had to buy. I really enjoyed the stock **** and disliked having to get rid of it, but after having the Momo **** on for a few weeks, I can't imagine going back.(If I ever buy a turbo, the **** and shifter are coming with me ) There were no additional noises caused by the shifter. I run without the leather boot though(just the underneath rubber piece) as I haven't gotten around to modifying the boot yet, and this does cause some additional road noise to come through. It's not the shifter's fault though, its me being lazy. Overall, I'd say it's definately worth it.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:07 PM
ringo951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use the yellow metal ramps with the holes also and use the board method to drive onto ramps without rubbing. Works great. My front tires are 235's also.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Der Cupmeister
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our 944 is so low it takes a 2X12 under the front tires to get onto any set of ramps, also have to do this to get a floor jack under the rocker panel. I have the Rhino plastic ramps and the yellow steel ramps(with lowered car kit). The Rhinos get used first unless I need a little more height. The yellow steel ramps are taller, making it possible for me to get to the starter if neccesary.... Ok, so I'm fatter than the average bear

Quick Reply: Ramps!