Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Big Problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003 | 09:22 PM
Mike951
Drifting

Post Help!! Big Problem!!

I had my '84 944 parked and running while i was in my garage, it was sitting like that for about 10 minutes, and I look over and see smoke pouring out from under the hood. I run over and notice that it is the smell of antifreeze, not smoke. pop the hood, steam poring out of coolant resevour. car is still running, and i shut it off. collant steams out and finally stops. what could this be? please help!
Old 03-01-2003 | 09:34 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Sounds like an overheat? What did the temp gauge read? Where was it on the dial?

Could be several things... was your fans running. Fan relay are a common problem with our cars or could also be the fan thermal switch (the fan relay's evil twin brother).

More info would help! Keep us posted!
Old 03-01-2003 | 09:36 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

dbl post
Old 03-01-2003 | 09:38 PM
Mike951
Drifting

i had peviously added distilled water to my collant before driving the car. would this have any affect on what happened. what is the procedure for adding coolant?
Old 03-01-2003 | 09:52 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Distilling water doesn't lower the boiling point (where's my old chemistry instructor) as far as I can remember so it shouldn't have affect it.

Not sure I understand your question??? For adding coolant, if it's not premixed dilute it 50/50 with water.

What about your gauges and fans?
Old 03-01-2003 | 10:06 PM
Mike951
Drifting

is there some kind of bleeding thing for adding coolant? I will have to find out about fans/temp/guages because my dad was in the car while i was popping the hood when it was steaming. i'll try and get some more details later
Old 03-01-2003 | 10:18 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Venting the Coolant System

Tools

12mm socket and ratchet with extension.
Coolant system pressure tester (Method 1)

The coolant system vents best if it is at ambient temperature.
Turn the ignition key on and turn the heater control to full heat (i.e. fully clockwise).
Crack open the coolant system high point vent. This is a 12mm bolt located on the coolant nozzle at the front of the cylinder head. It will be near the #1 plug. On the Turbo models the bolt is on the side of the nozzle. On NA models it is on the top of the nozzle.
Place some catch rags around the vent.
At this point there are three different methods to initiate the venting. I will only describe two of them here. The third involves performing "mouth-to-mouth" on the coolant reservoir. Due to the toxic nature of anti-freeze, I don't recommend it and will not describe it's use.

Method 1 (Pressure Tester - Preferred)
Fill the coolant reservoir to between the minimum and maximum marks.
Obtain a coolant system pressure tester and attach it to the coolant reservoir. If you don't have a tester, many of the better auto parts stores will loan you one.
Pressurize the coolant system slowly until a steady stream of coolant comes out of the vent. Do not exceed 10 psi pressure.
Close the vent.
Method 2 (Gravity Fill)

Raise the front of the car on jackstands or ramps.
With the high point vent cracked open, slowly fill the coolant reservoir.
When the reservoir level is at or slightly above the maximum mark, coolant should start to come out the high point vent.
Continue to fill until a steady stream of coolant comes out the vent.
Close the high point vent.
The disadvantage to this method is that it is not as effective as Method 1. Also, when venting is complete, there may be more coolant in the reservoir than the system needs. Consequently, the reservoir will overflow due to coolant expansion the first time the car is driven after the vent.

After the venting is complete, start the car and run it until it reaches normal operating temperature. Run the ventilation fan on high speed. If the indicated coolant temperature stabilizes slightly above the first mark and does not fluctuate significantly when you increase the throttle, the system is probably vented. Also, air temperature from the vents should not change significantly between idle and full throttle. If it does, the system may need to be vented again. Remember that the best results are obtained while filling with the system at ambient temperature.
Old 03-01-2003 | 10:20 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

E-mail me if you need more instructions.
myporsche944@juno.com
Old 03-01-2003 | 10:29 PM
IPC
Instructor

More than likely the cooling fans did not come on while the car sat there running. Check the fan switch in the radiator.

Quick Reply: Help!! Big Problem!!