Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting tips/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Painting tips/suggestions

I'm planning on repainting the car this September. I know a couple of you have recently(Perry, Ellssuu, OZ) done paint so I thought I would throw out my plans and see what you have to say or cover what I might miss.

1. I have all the weather stripping, seals, felt, gaskets, stone guards - all sourced and priced.
2. Spare nose panel vented, LR headlight duct, and AIR front splitter on the table.
3. Plan on removing rear hatch - may source a 968 hatch and 968 mirrors, depends on time.
4. Thought I would remove rear valance(of course) and front bumper assy, front header panel, headlight covers; build a jig to set them on just in front of the car and spray all seperate.
5. Haven't decided on new windshield, depends on $$ left over.
6. Dupont paint will be at cost(family member) and labor is free as long as I get major grunt work done of sand the whole car and spot seal. He will then seal the whole car, help me sand, clean, tac, and finish coat; good friends hobby now.
7. Car will go back black. Leaning toward Dupont Epoxy Sealer 2570S grey, finish Dupont Imron 5000 - 99U(cross to L041) and can clear it if needed with Dupont 500S but I don't think after 4 -5 coats it will need it or House of Kolor "German Black", blackest of blacks, single stage Urethane that can also be cleared for ultra high gloss. Please bring suggestions here.
8. The painter is excellent, very meticulous, it's his hobby on the side. Two of his cars have won best of shows - 69 Shelby and 63 Split Window.

What have I missed? Body side molding - glued or rivet on?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2003, 06:01 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Just a thought... if the primer / sealer is the same color (or close) as the finish color, it won't show stone chips nearly as bad. Maybe harder for the painter to work with, tho'?

Jim, front Bilsteins on the van, rears tomorrow... huge difference already!!!
Old 03-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

That was a thought with the sealer/primer being medium grey.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:29 PM
Danno
Race Director

6. Dupont paint will be at cost(family member)"

Ski is a DuPont? wow.... Hey, I'm down to my last gallon of Imron and California's VOC laws means I can't buy any more. Wanna send me some?
Old 03-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Danno:
<strong>6. Dupont paint will be at cost(family member)"
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Like the Hertz commercial says..."not exactly" but I do have a cousin in the automotive paint industry business..email me. I think I still owe a favor or two....
Old 03-02-2003, 11:55 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Ski:
<strong>I'm planning on repainting the car this September. I know a couple of you have recently(Perry, Ellssuu, OZ) done paint so I thought I would throw out my plans and see what you have to say or cover what I might miss.

1. I have all the weather stripping, seals, felt, gaskets, stone guards - all sourced and priced.
2. Spare nose panel vented, LR headlight duct, and AIR front splitter on the table.
3. Plan on removing rear hatch - may source a 968 hatch and 968 mirrors, depends on time.
4. Thought I would remove rear valance(of course) and front bumper assy, front header panel, headlight covers; build a jig to set them on just in front of the car and spray all seperate.
5. Haven't decided on new windshield, depends on $$ left over.
6. Dupont paint will be at cost(family member) and labor is free as long as I get major grunt work done of sand the whole car and spot seal. He will then seal the whole car, help me sand, clean, tac, and finish coat; good friends hobby now.
7. Car will go back black. Leaning toward Dupont Epoxy Sealer 2570S grey, finish Dupont Imron 5000 - 99U(cross to L041) and can clear it if needed with Dupont 500S but I don't think after 4 -5 coats it will need it or House of Kolor "German Black", blackest of blacks, single stage Urethane that can also be cleared for ultra high gloss. Please bring suggestions here.
8. The painter is excellent, very meticulous, it's his hobby on the side. Two of his cars have won best of shows - 69 Shelby and 63 Split Window.

What have I missed? Body side molding - glued or rivet on?

Thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Ski, sorry you missed a couple of weekends ago.

Couple of things, and Terry may chime in a few others, remove the rear side windows to make it much easier to get good coverage and no transitional lines. Need new rear speakers do it now. Remove the rr bumpers, pads and valence. The PO on my car didn't remove the rr bumper and I got severe peeling under the tail lights. It was more due to the job they did but with removing the bumper you'll get better coverage and less problems. It's easy to remove and you'll get the side bumperettes off and accessible for painting at the same time. Get the splitter early and expect to have to do some small work to it to make it look right. Mine had a few small rough spots that Terry worked on. Take the mirrors off of the car and possibly apart (as we had to do on mine) to paint. Door side mouldings should come off also. Other things taken off of my car were doors, hood, handles, washer nozzles (windsheild and headlight), all door plastic pieces, roof rain gutters, all lights, etc.

The 968 tail can be bought for about $500 somewhere on the net. Try 944online.com.

I know you said that you've sourced all of the gasket/seals but I'll list the ones I bought just to make sure you've checked into everything. It will help you evaluate your current gaskets/seals and make sure that they've all been at least considered.

-Roof Raingutter gaskets (long thin rubber pieces) Let me know if you need the part number as these were hard to find.
-big and small door handle gaskets
-mirror gaskets (note they're different on each side)
-gaskets for around the side marker lights (I've yet to order those and all they do is keep water from swishing around the lights and making your car dirty/I'll find them soon)
-door rubber gaskets (may or may not be bad, mine were)
-hatch gasket
-sunroof gasket felt and trim (2 pieces)
-rear hatch keyhole plastic trim
-alarm keyhole plastic trim
-new Porsche insignia and gasket
-new 944 or turbo insignia for back (may or may not need, I changed from black insignia to silver) This is a chance to go to the 3.2 911 turbo insignia if you want. It's more expensive and more stylized and made in aluminum instead of plastic. I didn't do this but it was under consideration.
-new rubber gaskets that recess under the rear deck feet (cheap, different shape on each side and only put in with white lithium grease)
-dum dum for the rear taillights (Terry bought from hardware store)
-new gasket for the gas nozzle. Again only apply with the help of a little bit of white lithium grease.
-triangular gaskets for the door striker plates
-door accordian rubber bellows that hide the wires
-rubber hood bumpers (4 on body of car/fender lips and 2 on the hood) They're on the hood lip and fender lips. If you're like me you never noticed them.
-hatch hinge gaskets (definitly change these if you take the hatch off, mine were very brital and they will also relieve hatch rattles)
-front bumper towing eye cover. Again, I didn't even know that my car was supposed to have one until I saw Terry's car. It's a hard part to find, not listed in the PET, so if you want me to call Crescent for one just let me know.
-plus probably some that I haven't thought about.

The smaller stuff I found to be pretty cheap from the Porsche Dealer (Crescent City ask for Earl). If you want to order them from Crescent I can pick them up and mail to you. The larger gaskets (sunroof, doors, hatch) I found to be much cheaper at Vertex and found them to be packaged in Porsche wrappers leading me to beleive that they are OEM and good quality.

Again, you may or may not need all of these things. My car needed them all. This list was just to give you some food for thought and the ability to pre-plan a little better.

This is also the opportunity to colorkey your wheels if you want to. I'm not but it's a possiblity.

If you take the headlights out make sure that you lable the hinge parts as they can be tricky to figure out which goes on which side. They are bairly different but definitly different. Ask me how I know.

Sorry about the long response. I hope it helps. Also, feel free to email me anytime about the job. I may or may not know the answer but can find out for you.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:23 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was hoping you would chime in. Sorry about missing the gathering but if I head down to another meeting it will be sans wife and child.

Thanks for all the tips, noted and printed. I've sourced most gaskets/seals between; Paragon, Vertex, partwerks, and believe it or not Tweeks had a better price on a couple of items - probably an error!!!

If you have a list with part numbers or what all you purchased, I'd really like a copy as a check list. I'll email you address to send or number to fax to - whatever is easiest.

Not sure about taking the doors off since it is the same color respray but to do it right we probably will.

I will email you if I need anything from Cresent that way you can call him and tell him I'll call.

Got any recent pics of the car?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2003, 12:47 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

I do have some recent pics but I'm currently in Mechanicsville, VA. I'll post some when I get back.

I mean't to do a purchase list but never did. When I get back I'll see if I can gather that info. up.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:52 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Ski:
<strong>What have I missed? Body side molding - glued or rivet on?

Thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">i think the side moulding is actually attached with double sided tape. i replaced the "16-ventiler" molding on my car and it appeared to have been attached with double sided tape. i bought some 3M double sided tape and it worked fine.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:18 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't ever see myself repainting a car, but I'm sure there are some people that would love some pictures. If you have a digital camera, it nevers hurts to take a thousand pictures of the project...
Old 03-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

It will get documented but it will be this fall. I'm just starting the prep work(order stuff)early. I took pics doing rod bearings, head, turbo, clutch, exhaust, etc.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:03 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ski-----

You've got mail....
Old 05-18-2003, 06:26 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Bump again for Robwsup