Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

little bit of an update

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009 | 11:37 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

From: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Just wondering, but is it necessary to have some sort of protection on the firewall for the engine heat? Is that even necessary? I'm bookmarking this thread... I can see myself doing this very soon...
Old 10-07-2009 | 12:11 AM
Cass944
Drifting

well... this car kind of has 2 firewalls... so im sure people will argue back and forth about that question.

the wall that most people would call the firewall that has the black rubber seal that sits on top of it is actually a rain tray. Im sure it serves slightly as a heat barrier and possibly an exhaust/gas fume barrier if you have leaks... but im sure if you wanted to you could delete that whole wall. it would be a LOT of work. it would require lots of cutting and welding. it would also get tricky around the brake booster/master cylinder area because they are mounted to that wall.

if you look closely at some of the pictures of the VW engine bays i posted on the last page, you can see that a lot of people do delete that rain tray wall and it really opens up the engine bay quite a bit. the layout of our engine bays is different so i really dont know how much you could get away with deleting but i would be very interested to find out
Old 10-07-2009 | 12:19 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

From: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Originally Posted by Cass944
well... this car kind of has 2 firewalls... so im sure people will argue back and forth about that question.

the wall that most people would call the firewall that has the black rubber seal that sits on top of it is actually a rain tray. Im sure it serves slightly as a heat barrier and possibly an exhaust/gas fume barrier if you have leaks... but im sure if you wanted to you could delete that whole wall. it would be a LOT of work. it would require lots of cutting and welding. it would also get tricky around the brake booster/master cylinder area because they are mounted to that wall.

if you look closely at some of the pictures of the VW engine bays i posted on the last page, you can see that a lot of people do delete that rain tray wall and it really opens up the engine bay quite a bit. the layout of our engine bays is different so i really dont know how much you could get away with deleting but i would be very interested to find out
Thanks for the reply. Would you mind telling me your plans as far as heat protection goes? Maybe sound deadening? Maybe you'll leave all of that off for a really clean look? If I'm not mistaken, I think Dynamat actually makes some sort of firewall material for the heat and noise which is also paintable.
Old 10-07-2009 | 12:25 AM
Cass944
Drifting

im leaving the heat shield that is inside the tunnel near the clutch housing area. other than that everything is gone.

oh the heat shield that wraps around the passenger side motor mount will still be there too... its like right next to the headers though so you pretty much need that one.
Old 10-07-2009 | 12:25 AM
Cass944
Drifting

im leaving the heat shield that is inside the tunnel near the clutch housing area. other than that everything is gone.

oh the heat shield that wraps around the passenger side motor mount will still be there too... its like right next to the headers though so you pretty much need that one.
Old 10-07-2009 | 12:58 AM
Cass944
Drifting

im thinking im going to put a remote coolant res and the ignition coil along with an MSD unit where the battery was located. i can use those holes already in the firewall to run the lines for coolant. should be pretty simple.
Old 10-07-2009 | 11:27 PM
Cass944
Drifting

i think its ready

Old 10-07-2009 | 11:29 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Clean dude. Nice job

Quick Reply: little bit of an update