Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeek from inside the bellhousing

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009 | 11:09 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Again, rethink that rubber centered clutch disc. An electric motor will shear it in no time given the instant torque unless you baby it. Since everything is already bolted up I realize that you don't want to 'go back in' but being disabled on the side of the road isn't a really great option either. The limp home tabs 'might' get you home but modulating the power of the motor makes it more difficult than with a gas engine. Having a conventional clutch with electric power is a bit odd from the start.

You are good machinist though and I think it's very cool what you are trying to do!
such a thing is available called a 'voltage chopper' that pulses power to a high-torque motor so that overall torque output is lower. electric car guys use them for this type of setup so as not to spin the tires in lower gears, and as the gears go higher the chop pulses get longer until it isnt needed.

otherwise they just use a single tall gear.
Old 07-11-2009 | 01:32 AM
probuild521
Track Day

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Again, rethink that rubber centered clutch disc. An electric motor will shear it in no time given the instant torque unless you baby it. Since everything is already bolted up I realize that you don't want to 'go back in' but being disabled on the side of the road isn't a really great option either. The limp home tabs 'might' get you home but modulating the power of the motor makes it more difficult than with a gas engine. Having a conventional clutch with electric power is a bit odd from the start.

You are good machinist though and I think it's very cool what you are trying to do!
thanks

relooked at it today and noticed that the flywheel is not running true. i can see it wavering front to back not sure if its that the motor isnt straight on with the drivetrain or if when the adapter got mounted to the flywheel it got messed up.

when i first made that adapter i thought it was 9 evenly spaced bolts on the flywheel when really it is 8 evenly spaced aroudn with one off set (which has to be remilled later) im certin with the x-y table that was made to manually mill those holes that the 8 holes are spot on but the 9th concerns me. ill try to post a video and show exactly whats happening

im glad people like it though, wasnt sure if the porsche community would frown upon it or enjoy it
Old 07-11-2009 | 02:03 AM
probuild521
Track Day

if you watch close you can see the wobble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZaxMAuZo4o
Old 07-12-2009 | 10:33 PM
probuild521
Track Day

so i pulled the motor today figured out the bell housing wasnt spaced enough, added a couple washer shims and now its perfect. i just dial indicated the flywheel and it turns out the flywheel is off by able .008" so i need to find where that is coming from, maybe just need to be tightens in a slightly different or a burr who knows quite small=hard to find
Old 07-21-2009 | 03:23 AM
probuild521
Track Day

just an update, got everything to run true with the coupler and fixed the squeek problem. anyways tomorrow the assembly is hopefuly going to get balanced then back in teh car soon and hopefully be out and running by the weekend.

not sure if i mentioned this or not already, but once the car is done it will be for sale, im in the northwest surburbs of chicago if anyone is interested. (the car is clearly not done yet but will be cosmetically and mechanically by the beginning of august)

if interested or just have any questions you can just talk to me here or email me at sean.kleinschmidt@gmail.com
Old 07-21-2009 | 12:09 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

this is going to be so cool

Quick Reply: Squeek from inside the bellhousing