Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S waterpump replacement...tips? tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 944S waterpump replacement...tips? tricks?

Well I'm planning on a maintenance item, the dreaded waterpump.

Anyone have any tips or timesaving steps?

Pics of past projects welcome!

Let's have them!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:38 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm trying hard to think of any timesaving tips....coming up blank.

just make sure u clean off the old gasket if it sticks.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:48 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

righty tighty, lefty loosy
Old 06-30-2009, 06:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

Hey rick did you determine route cause yet ? how did the thermostat check out ? do oyu thinkit could be the temp sensor that turns on the fans ?

when I did mine there were no real time savers .
Old 06-30-2009, 09:41 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've only done one pump, but I found that the bolts were pretty corroded, or the threads filled with scale. Be prepared to replace a couple, and to clean all threads with a wire brush. I used antiseize on them going back to prevent a recurrence.

For sure put the thermostat in BEFORE you mount the pump!
Old 06-30-2009, 10:43 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Clive...I still have to test the t-stat before I dive right into a full tear down. I bought some new spring pliers...but damn...they are still 1/2 inch too short. I'll figure something out.

I did re-wire the switch and heat shrunk the wires, they are all on good now.

I had a guy at Carquest order me a waterpump for the 944S, however the one they sent has the need of a block off plate. I had a look at it, these pumps do have the weeping hole to show signs of bearing and seal failure as any other domestic waterpump. In my 25 years of wrenching on cars I have yet to see a pump that has spun an impeller and not leaked any fluid. In my case, no leaks whatsoever. I'm suspecting the wires may have been the problem all along, but I'm still going to check the t-stat and go from there. I likely will end up switching the waterpump for ease of mind too. If the wires have fixed the temperature spike, I may drive it for a bit and enjoy the car before tearing into the waterpump.

Stay posted!
Old 07-01-2009, 05:18 AM
joonas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/cool-07.htm
Old 07-01-2009, 05:58 AM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

<off topic>
How did you get that magnaflow sticker to work??? I tried and could not for the life of me figure out how to peel it off without destroying it.</off topic>
Old 07-01-2009, 06:08 AM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Ross
For sure put the thermostat in BEFORE you mount the pump!
I wish more people would NOTput the thermostat in before the mounting the pump. There is only one good position that the holes in the clip can be at in order to easily change the thermostat with the pump in the car(between the 7 and 8 o'clock position).

I have had to deal with far too many of these clips put on while the pump was off and these ended up in the wrong position. If you've ever changed one with the pump in the car then you know what I mean.

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
In my 25 years of wrenching on cars I have yet to see a pump that has spun an impeller and not leaked any fluid. In my case, no leaks whatsoever.
It wouldn't happen on our cars with metal impellers however early BMW E36 factory impellers were composite and often broke apart without a single drop of coolant leaking out. This was bad since the pieces often were sent downstream to block off cooling passages in the head. I've changed a few headgaskets on those car because of that.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

Hey Rick glad things are progressing. When I did my thermostst I left the water pump in , and after reading the post by eniac I now know how i was ablle to do it . I din't have any snap ring pliers at the time either but i can't remember how I did it.
When I did end up doing the pump I did in fact have coolant coming out of the weep hole so i knew my pump was shot .
I say if you have fixed the wiring , go and give it a test drive and enjoy your car until you can get the right tools and take your time .
PS i might be bringing another car into my collection. a 2001 A6 so I too will be doing the TB and water pump soon. the car had its first belt at 80,000km and now the car has 300,000 on it .
Old 07-01-2009, 02:28 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Clive..an A6...niiiiizzze. Me likey!

Eniac...I agree with you on this point. The snap ring holes are at 12 and 1 oclock...damn hard to get at, even with my wife's small makeup mirror. (of which I dropped and broke the case-ssshhh)

I think I'll have to use two of my tiny hobby screw drivers like chopsticks.

As far as the Fagnaflow sticker goes, IIRC it was sandwiched between two layers. I pealed off the underside layer, stuck it on, pealed off the top layer, easy peasy.

Its on the outside of the window, so it won't fade since its white anyway.

Quick Reply: 944S waterpump replacement...tips? tricks?