Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dragon Somethin' Lemons debut- down but not out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:48 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i WOULD like to take a second to thank the entire Dragon Somethin' team. You all did a great job this weekend dispite the outcome. Alan, Ben, Sammy, Tom and Van- all great driving out there- no crashes etc.. we all hustled on the 2 hour headgasket, must be a record. Josh and Fergus, you guys really pitched in a bunch- big thanks Ferg for all the food etc that was really generous- oh and i love your car! My wife and Tom had most the food prep duties and both did great- where was Dan P w/ those pizza's though? Thanks to everyone who donated time and parts and just supported us up till now. We promise not to disappoint in the future- already gathering info on some other races. If anything we can all sit around when we are old- like that track worker- and talk about back in the day when we ran the 24 hours at Nelsons....
Old 10-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

I really had a fun time meeting you guys, too. I couldn't have asked for a nicer group of people to become friends with!

(I never caught the name of either flagger - the guy in the Jaguar jump suit or the guy that looked like Richard Petty.)
Old 10-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
Van and MM951- how close are you guys to each other- can Van check out the parts car motor wise?
Dan, I think you mean Mike951 - who has the black NA for sale in NJ.

I'm about 2.5 hours from him (although he's not very far outside of NYC.)

If you wanted me to just "look" (listen and do a compression test), I could probably get there some evening after work. If you wanted me to pick it up, it would probably have to wait until later in the month.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:15 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
where was Dan P w/ those pizza's though?
I don't get this... maybe I posted some where and forgot? I would have been glad to gopher and get whatever you guys needed, but I'm too poor nowadays to buy Za's for crowds, even though you deserved it.

Did I really say I'd bring you food somewhere? ::sorry::

I tried the search..... /nada/
Old 10-05-2009, 12:19 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Dragons,

Just pulled in safe and sound (even if Friday's rain followed me all the way home) - just under 10 hours including the side trip to Cleveland to drop Van off at the airport.

It was fantastic to have met all of you - thanks for making it a great weekend! I can't think of better group with which to have spent the weekend. I echo Van, it so great to have made a whole bunch of new friendships! I look forward to coming down again when we put the Dragon back on the track! Next time I will be a driver!

I also think the we owe a big thanks to Tom - whose "fully equipped" trailer was a godsend (tools, appliances, stuff that you would never think that we would need, but did, Tom had).

Finally, Dan our Captain, thank you for putting all of this together and making it a rewarding experience for all.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:53 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

A few picture of the Dragon's in action.

Scotch successfully reduces the penalty for being Porsche owners (Thanks JohnKoaWood!). Car is tagged bribed.

Testing in the rain. We were faster than the taxi! (and yes that is an XR4ti)

Last minute adjustments... Car gets more lights and rear brake pads.

In line to start.

The Dragon at speed.

The POS Civic was fast! Seriously - they ran a 1:29...

Showing some tail...

Mechanical geniuses change a 944 headgasket faster than humanly possible.

Nighttime Driver change

Last edited by fbgh2o; 10-05-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:09 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Great pics! Ill upload mine tomorrow.

Thanks to Fergus for coming down and helping out / bringing food!

Same goes to Tom for his awesome rig / setup, so helpful and nice to live out of!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
Last minute adjustments... Car gets more lights and rear brake pads.
IMG]http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr167/fbgh2o/24%20hours%20of%20Lemons/IMG_1928.jpg[/IMG]
Start-tag bracket missing...

Old 10-05-2009, 09:43 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
I really enjoyed meeting you all and hanging out and doing our best to overcome the obstacles that we seemed to get tossed repeatedly. I mean it seemed like we got tossed one hurdle after another until we ultimately got one we could not leap. I mean how the F do you remedy your motor being filled with fast hardening glass? Although, i really think they forgot to add the activator cause it ran out rather continuious while we flushed it a half dozen times.

Fergus, we really appreciate you picking up all that grub and your time at the grill(Dan may need to lay off the bacon for a while, or take up drinking to thin out his blood).

Heck, where else would you find a guy willing to drive 600 miles to get in on the action and another to fly in from two states away to participate. I doubt any corvette club people would be like that to their own. Guess that is why we all have porsche 944's. I'm still awwe'd that we actually found a head gasket(thanks Travis) and replaced it so quickly.

I think we learned some valuable lessons for if we were to try the lemons agenda again.
Pretty car = bad, low key profile = good, lockable oil cap = a must, rope and duck tape to tie up judges = a must, lots of beer = x2, plenty of good friends = the most important part.

Kudos to Dan who pulled out some totally cool dragon shirts for us all.

Dan, if you decide to have a motor pulling day in the future, let me know. Maybe we can make a day of it and everyone local could come down like we did few weeks back. i could bring some wood for the garage heater.

In hind site, we really did get off on an easy note cause a replacement motor can be had for a hundred bucks on craigslist but if they had crushed the car; the roll cage effort would have been gone, the suspension worthless, etc. If only the curse would have been at the end of the race so we all could have gained more seat time. sorry, if i sound like a cry baby now

Definatly lets figure ot something to do next year, was a good time hanging out and meeting all of you guys. Oh, and we need to talk with Travis about where he ordered those chineese hot air ballons from. those were too cool.

tom
Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys, I second everyone's emotions... we got screwed, we made some great new friendships, and long live the Dragon! She will be back, better than ever, terrorizing the field in some other events.

Not that I would ever want to give Lemons my money again, but if I did it again in a 944 I would just do a couple things different... draw less attention by going incognito with the car somehow (maybe covered in cardboard like that Q45?) and name our team something totally random (like Honda Boyz). We were a very easy target for people's curse because we had a really nice looking car (relative to most of the field), and it was a Porsche, and it sounded supercharged with the balance belt whining, and our team name "Dragon Somethin" was very descriptive of the car.

It probably didn't help that we were passing 90% of the cars like they were standing still. If we didn't have the headgasket failure, we could have taken it easy for the first 12 hours and ran mid-pack, then after the curse, release the dragon and drive as fast as we want.

Everyone did an awesome job... we just need to find a more appropriate venue next time!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:19 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

And BTW, "someone" left their trampy videos and magazines in the trailer

Tom
Old 10-05-2009, 10:59 AM
thewerxracing
Banned

Hey guys, good showing-- it just sucks what happened. I've followed the excitement on here as much as I could. Congrats for doing it!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:17 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, that looks like fun. Great effort guys!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just checking in. I am leaving Cleveland in a few so I will be back in FL around 4 ish.

Tough brak guys. The crowd did think you had a turbo or something under the hood.

I will post up my pics and vid when I get home.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Fergus, thanks for everything man. It was great to meet you and see your beautiful 951.

I think this photo might make a good Stuck on You submission for GRM if you zoom in a little bit on a high res version so the GRM sticker is more legible:

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
Testing in the rain. We were faster than the taxi! (and yes that is an XR4ti)

Quick Reply: Dragon Somethin' Lemons debut- down but not out!