Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saratoga Roof: Glueing Metal to Glass???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:42 PM
thoen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saratoga Roof: Glueing Metal to Glass???

My Saratoga's rear connection became unglued. I want to attach two metal strips with screws jutting out (to connect to body) using glue. I was told by a glass pro that plate glass cannot be drilled. any sugegstions as to what glue can withstand a pressure to adhere the metal to the glass?
i thanks you....
Old 06-15-2009, 03:00 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can try Goop RV. it sticks pretty hard and it still pliable. has quite a bit of give before losing adhesion.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Eastep
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have a winshield installer reglue the glass to the frame after you seperate the two, and properly clean/prep them.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:57 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Eastep
have a winshield installer reglue the glass to the frame after you seperate the two, and properly clean/prep them.

I don't think his glass has separated from the frame; the rear latch post has. I have a Saratoga Top also and I'm always afraid of the posts breaking off. The strip idea with the post attached sounds good. Any good 2-part epoxy for glass should work well. I'm trying figure out a way to use OE hardware on mine.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Eastep
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well that sucks
Old 06-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thoen
I want to attach two metal strips with screws jutting out (to connect to body) using glue.

Not sure exactly what you are doing since I have never seen a Saratoga in person. "Rear View Mirror adhesive" is used to permanenetly mount the metal tab to the glass windshield.

I have seen mirrors ripped off in accidents that have torn the glass before letting that mirror mount loose. Just a thought.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:46 PM
thoen
Racer

i will try mirror adhesive.
yes, steve is right. the frame is fine, it is the connection that needs to be adhered.
any one else that has/had the same predicament?

Trending Topics

Old 06-15-2009, 05:14 PM
thoen
Racer

Default saratoga

steve,
you have the automatic roof?
my saratoga was made for an automatic but i had to convert it to attach to my 83.
the two hard plastic "hinges" on the back fell off within the first year of my ownership. they are impossibe to get back on and therefore, i am trying to make the bolt attachments using bracket material. i hope the window adhesive will work. i tried it with the old plastic parts but not yet with a metal hinge.
ernest
ps thanks to all!
Old 06-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure if mirror adhesive will work. It will probably only work if you have a completely flat surface contacting the glass. The mirror adhesive has no body it is a very thin liquid. I'm not sure what you are working with but that's how it is.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

steve,
you have the automatic roof?
my saratoga was made for an automatic but i had to convert it to attach to my 83.
the two hard plastic "hinges" on the back fell off within the first year of my ownership. they are impossibe to get back on and therefore, i am trying to make the bolt attachments using bracket material. i hope the window adhesive will work. i tried it with the old plastic parts but not yet with a metal hinge.
ernest
ps thanks to all!
Mine is a manual glass Saratoga with frame so I haven't seen an electric frame version. I'm trying to adapt manual OE latches even though mine aren't broken; I miss the tilt function of my other manual sunroof conversions. They sure made quite a few versions of something only manufactured for a few years. I can take some pics of how the Saratoga manual latches attach if that helps. They look pretty simple actually.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:53 AM
thoen
Racer

i would love to see the pictures.
i am going to try to weld some screws/bolts to the regular mirror metal pieces and gluing them to the top. i can't think of too many ways to do it. it's hard because the glass is curved and hard to find a piece that is also curved.
ernest
Old 06-16-2009, 02:41 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

First, let me say I have absolutely no experience in this and am in no way competent to provide a knowledgable opinion, nor do I have any idea what piece y'all are talking about.

That said, the usual glue for resealing hatches might work -3m window weld with the primer

I've neve seen a saratoga up close in person.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:55 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

i would love to see the pictures.
i am going to try to weld some screws/bolts to the regular mirror metal pieces and gluing them to the top. i can't think of too many ways to do it. it's hard because the glass is curved and hard to find a piece that is also curved.
ernest

There's an easy way to match the curve of the glass. Tape one medium and one fine emery paper over the spots where you plan to mount the posts. Take your mirror base or whatever you weld to and run it over the sandpaper always in the same direction. It will end up with the same curve and provide a better contact area for gluing. I think you'll find a mirror base is not strong enough though. You really need to tighten on the connection for a watertight seal and a mirror base just isn't designed for tension loads.

Last edited by KuHL 951; 06-16-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:07 AM
thoen
Racer

jack,
the saratoga is a tinted (mine is silver) glass roof. it has a different way of attaching to the body than the standard oem.

steve,
i will certainly try your method. i tried a very expensive ($60) for one ounce of glue, and it stays wet to the touch.
i am trying others and will probably find the one i need soon. it has been raining here in new york for the last three weeks so i am doing my research for the day the sun comes out.
thanks alll,
ernest

Quick Reply: Saratoga Roof: Glueing Metal to Glass???