Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power locks and more

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 09:15 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Power locks and more

My friend an I spent the last 6 hours installing power lock motors and running wires, and about 2/3's of that time was trouble shooting the wiring (it was a bad position sensor in one of the lock motors). It came with a huge ford van style lock switch, and I was wondering if a stock porsche power lock switch would work in its place. The switch has 3 wires, one for lock sending, one for unlock sending, and one for power/ground (not sure which...it is a black wire). Does anybody know if the stock switch will work? Where could I find one?
Also, the fact that you can't lock the driver's side door with the lever inside the car or with the power lock switch when the door is open is more of a hinderance than anything else. Is there anything I can do to the lock/release mech on that door to make it so I can lock the door while it is open? Thanks guys,
Old 07-16-2001, 10:57 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

*bump*

anyone?
Old 07-16-2001, 11:36 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I installed a power lock kit not long ago and tried using the oem switch to work it. My kit was similar to yours with one wire outputting a lock signal, and the other an unlock signal, and one power or ground wire. The factory switch is different. It has one output for lock and unlock and I think the factory lock brain figures out what's supposed to happen after that. I've heard of people getting it to work. I'm electrically unskilled and couldn't get it to work.

Got no help on the other question you had either. So all in all...not much help here.
Old 07-16-2001, 12:05 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I'd find a wrecked car somewhere with power locks, take a day and rip it all out, and go that way. I tried the power lock thing on my Talon. (funny, had ever other option but power locks). It was a major pain in the ***, and I had a problem where you had to use the switch or key to unlock the doors. Bad thing if you need to get out in a hurry or you have no juice to activate the locks. I tried every wiring situation possible. I ended up junking the project.

I'd say if you could find a car with it, you could get the system for $250 or so, and it would be a stock setup. Let us know.
Old 07-16-2001, 12:41 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts
Talking

I think it was with my 74 Dasher (talk about POS) that I was able to lock the door by squeezing the outside handle's lever while pushing down the button. I think the handles are the same.

Tell me if it works. I can't do it on my 89 because I think I need the key to activate the alarm.
Old 07-16-2001, 12:54 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Hmmm...I am very satisfied with the way the power locks perform. They lock and unlock with authority, and are kind of "power assisted" if you use the manual lock, it senses you pulling up or pushing down and will lock or unlock both sides. With my key, I barely apply pressure and the power locks take care of the rest. They work well...especially for $30. I am not particularly interested in the stock set up as this works just as well...but I just need to figure out how I can get the stock switch to work, or find a place to mount this huge ugly switch.

Tom, I used to have a VW fox that had the same "you have to lock your car from the outside because otherwise you might lock your keys in" safety feature, and I used to be able to push the outside handle in and push down on the plunger to make it lock without the key. I tried this the first day I had my porsche, and no dice.

Thanks guys,
Old 07-16-2001, 01:07 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Ribs, put the big switch up of you dash and put a label under it that says "Juice" or "Button". Then see if those Civics will mess with you!

You could probably make a factory sunroof switch work without any hassle.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 07-16-2001, 03:35 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Using 5 wire solenoids, any spdt (momentary on-off-momentary on) should work. I don't have a central lock switch to look at to see if it is fo this type, but it should be. A sunroof switch may also fit the bill.
I have to wonder why the switch is needed, from the outside use the key, and from the inside push/pull the nearest plunger.

Quote from Tom R;
I think it was with my 74 Dasher (talk about POS) that I was able to lock the door by squeezing the outside handle's lever while pushing down the button. I think the handles are the same.
I forgot about that trick, AFAIK that only worked on the 74 Dasher (I had the other one) when I replaced it with an 80 Scirocco, Iwas disappointed that it didn't do the same thing.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:40 PM
ziominix
Intermediate

I know this reply is a bit late, but anyway, ribs, where did you buy the aftermarket lock kit? And did you ever figure out how to get a Porsche switch to work, either the sunroof or an actual lock switch? I'd like to add power locks to my car but can't find any info on it.

Thanks
Bryan
Old 10-15-2002, 11:26 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I recently hooked up the keyless entry function that's built into my aftermarket alarm. I can't believe I waited 4 yrs to finally do it! Definitely a must have now.....

In case you wanna try a stock lock button:
There are 4 wires on terminals numbered 1, 3, 4, & 6. #1 is ground. #4 is the + for the red light indicating locked doors on the stock setup. #3 is for the dash lights. #6 is the button and completes the circuit to ground.

Tom
'87 951
'86.5 Supra
Old 10-16-2002, 05:06 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Wow...I forgot about this thread. That was a long time ago. I think I got the kit from JC whitney for my '81 RX-7 when I was 16 years old, and I never installed it until I was 22 in my porsche. It was like $20 or so and took me the better part of an afternoon to install correctly. The only modifications necessary to the car are 2 or 3 holes drilled in each door - 1 or 2 to attach the lock motor to the door, and 1 to attach the lock plunger to the motor. I still have never gotten a porsche switch to work with it (I haven't acquired one yet) but all I have to do is tug on my driver's lock a little bit and both of the locks shoot up. You can't lock the car with the door open anyways so I still just lock it with the key from the outside, but now both sides lock/unlock in unison. The power locks don't have a very "porsche" sound to them, but who cares? For $20 and an afternoon of my time, I was pretty happy. HTH,

Quick Reply: Power locks and more