Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

you sir, are an imbecile.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 05:23 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default you sir, are an imbecile.

to the mechanic who previously wrenched on my car....I have concluded that you sir, are an imbecile.

You told my PO that a fuel dampner leaking fuel into the engine bay was "not a big deal"

You replaced a foglight bulb and managed to lose the plastic trim pieces.

You replaced the interior dome light and managed to lose the metal clip that allows the light to stay in the headliner....then you promptly secured it with black tacky goo.

And worst of all, when my PO brought the car in because it was "running hot" you replaced the radiator, fan switch and thermostat. You started off on the right track, but when you put in a thermostat that opens at 87C and a fan switch that turns on at 75C, the car continued to run hot because you sir, are an imbecile.

sadly i have receipts for all this work. its a crime what my PO was charged. no wonder he was scared of the car.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:16 AM
Porker928
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idd.

Remember, the human race is de-evolving. It won’t be long before were all living in caves banging rocks together trying to make fire.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with an old car like a 944 you really shouldn't buy one unless you want to learn to fix most things yourself. 944s aren't worth buying if you have to take it to a mechanic that charges you 90+ dollars an hour to maintain your 20+ year old car foreign car.

I don't trust any mechanic shop touching my car unless its a place that regularly works on 944s.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
with an old car like a 944 you really shouldn't buy one unless you want to learn to fix most things yourself. 944s aren't worth buying if you have to take it to a mechanic that charges you 90+ dollars an hour to maintain your 20+ year old car foreign car.

I don't trust any mechanic shop touching my car unless its a place that regularly works on 944s.
I don't necasaraly agree with this... It HELPS if you can wrench, but it is necessary to have a competent shop, NOONE touches my cars if their parking lot is full of potholes, their shop is dirty or normaly empty, or I get a bad vibe..

The OP statement is proof that a fool and their money are soon parted, and there is HUGE value in a PPI, unless you can fully sort the car yourself... Im almost willing to bet this discovery came after a document review, and little vehicle work/effort... the PO of Airflites car was a fool, he spent money letting someone mess up his car, and didn't know any beter... And people give/gave Ferrari crap for having a selection process for buying an ENZO... even their selection prcess didn't stop idiots from buying them but I would say it has definately cut down on them...
Old 06-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Porker928
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy who did the work - did he look like this? -

Old 06-04-2009, 08:39 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Airflite40
to the mechanic who previously wrenched on my car....I have concluded that you sir, are an imbecile.
I haven't quite figured out if it was the PO who was a blithering idiot, or if he had help. I can't imagine someone being this stupid, but every time I worked on my car, there it was staring me in the face. Here are some of mine:
  • All the switches in the dash were held in place with JB weld.
  • The main wiring harness had caught on fire at one point, and it looked like they pulled it out, got to a point that they couldn't figure out, then reinstalled. They spliced the original harness back in place. There were crimp butt connections 1" from a half-assed soldered joint on the same wire.
  • The majority of the screws and bolts that hold the car together were missing. The front seats were held down with 3 mismatched bolts. There was only a couple of screws holding the dash trim in place because most of it was burnt on the backside. The HVAC plenum was unbolted from the firewall and left hanging from the studs.
  • The rear passenger side suspension was lowered all the way down while the driver's side was at stock ride height.
  • The engine harness was as hacked as the main harness. There was a LR MAF setup that was improperly wired and the car ran like **** after it reached operating temperature.
  • The low oil sensor wire was pinched in between the block and the waterpump.
  • The oil filter housing was held on with 3 bolts instead of 4. The 4th bolt was found in the anti-swaybar mount.
  • The Blaupunkt amp that was in the passenger side rear cubby was held in place with various pieces of styrofoam, cardboard and plywood - but wasn't actually attached to anything. The 4-gauge positive wire from the battery had over 1" of insulation stripped off where it went into the connector and there wasn't a fuse on it.
  • The shift **** was held in place with JB weld.
  • The replacement windshield had a 1/2" gap down each side that was being sealed by the trim strip that goes around the glass. Every time it rained, the floors would flood.
  • The front door speakers were held in place by strapping and drywall screws.
  • The computers were not attached to the mount, even though the screws were there.

That's all that's coming to mind right now. I'm sure there's plenty more, but I'll need a drink if I have to think about it any more
Old 06-04-2009, 09:24 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

That is some wicked Shadtree redneck engineering there... Damn and I thought poorly of my POs on both P-Cars for the **** they did (951 trim panels inside car had ALL been removed at some point, each only had 1 screw holding them in..car had wicked rattles, new hardware installed ALMOST all teh rattles are gone, M030 swaybars were swapped in at some point...we half way any way, most mounting hardware both front and rear were mismatched hodgepodge or just gone..."why would they put 4 bolts in them if only 2 holds it together?... Why does that bracket flop arround so much?"), nothing near as bad as anything on your list though... Damn...
Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by CurtP
I haven't quite figured out if it was the PO who was a blithering idiot, or if he had help. I can't imagine someone being this stupid, but every time I worked on my car, there it was staring me in the face. Here are some of mine:
  • All the switches in the dash were held in place with JB weld.
  • The main wiring harness had caught on fire at one point, and it looked like they pulled it out, got to a point that they couldn't figure out, then reinstalled. They spliced the original harness back in place. There were crimp butt connections 1" from a half-assed soldered joint on the same wire.
  • The majority of the screws and bolts that hold the car together were missing. The front seats were held down with 3 mismatched bolts. There was only a couple of screws holding the dash trim in place because most of it was burnt on the backside. The HVAC plenum was unbolted from the firewall and left hanging from the studs.
  • The rear passenger side suspension was lowered all the way down while the driver's side was at stock ride height.
  • The engine harness was as hacked as the main harness. There was a LR MAF setup that was improperly wired and the car ran like **** after it reached operating temperature.
  • The low oil sensor wire was pinched in between the block and the waterpump.
  • The oil filter housing was held on with 3 bolts instead of 4. The 4th bolt was found in the anti-swaybar mount.
  • The Blaupunkt amp that was in the passenger side rear cubby was held in place with various pieces of styrofoam, cardboard and plywood - but wasn't actually attached to anything. The 4-gauge positive wire from the battery had over 1" of insulation stripped off where it went into the connector and there wasn't a fuse on it.
  • The shift **** was held in place with JB weld.
  • The replacement windshield had a 1/2" gap down each side that was being sealed by the trim strip that goes around the glass. Every time it rained, the floors would flood.
  • The front door speakers were held in place by strapping and drywall screws.
  • The computers were not attached to the mount, even though the screws were there.

That's all that's coming to mind right now. I'm sure there's plenty more, but I'll need a drink if I have to think about it any more

Sounds like it went down the Trabant new car assembly line in Russia.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Eastep
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you cant duck it,.. F**k it !!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I forgot to add I put in an 80C thermostat and a new 75/82 fan switch and the car runs perfect, barely above the first white line
Old 06-04-2009, 01:26 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Thank an idiot mechanic

Idiot mechanics...

...why there are so many low-cost 944s waiting to be rescued
Old 06-04-2009, 01:51 PM
krystar
Drifting

if u think that's bad, imagine how angry i was when i got my car back from the dealership and the spark plugs were finger loose?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:57 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

....and I thought my PO was a douche

These cars are easy as hell to work on... if they can F up something like this, imagine what they do to a modern car.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:31 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Idiot mechanics...

...why there are so many low-cost 944s waiting to be rescued
-2 (mine, 88 N/A $4200 paid, almost 9K in it now, and 87 951 $3400 paid, almost 10K into it now, but most of that is fun parts and upgrades...)

And I also find it "Easy" to work on my cars, but that is because I am used to working on Jap Traps and newer German cars... you think there is no room to work on a 951? Try a 2000 Audi TT Quatro, everything has a place, and I do mean everything... working on the 951 is a nice relaxer by comparison...
Old 06-04-2009, 07:50 PM
krystar
Drifting

working on a 66 mustang's engine bay is even more so. u got like 2ft of room in very direction between engine block and body. sooo spacious

Quick Reply: you sir, are an imbecile.