Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble getting oil pressure on new motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 01:59 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is my next attack method for this evening.

Since I am not getting any oil at all, and I have tried and tried to pump it, this is the only thing different from my old motors.

Thanks Bruce.... FWIW your tools have been getting heavy use lately on my car and others. Thanks for the quality stuff!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:33 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

any resolution on this?i have the same situation and im looking for a solution.tia
Old 05-18-2010, 08:57 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya know, I saw (on one of the cheezy hotrod shows over the weekend) a guy load up his oil pump with vaseline during assembly. I've never heard of doing that but maybe it helps guarantee the pump will suck up oil and make quick pressure. Anybody ever try that? Bruce
Old 05-18-2010, 10:02 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

just to be clear here you have the filter fitted but its dry ? is the top hole you are using to fill ,before or after the 'dry' filter?
Don't some filters have a valve in them ? maybe the filter should be pre -primed and fitted before this test ?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:02 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by F18Rep
Ya know, I saw (on one of the cheezy hotrod shows over the weekend) a guy load up his oil pump with vaseline during assembly. I've never heard of doing that but maybe it helps guarantee the pump will suck up oil and make quick pressure. Anybody ever try that? Bruce
It's a common procedure when there will be a long time between assembly and running (like during a restoration). You can use assembly lube (Lubriplate) or even light grease.

Not clear on the details of the remote oil filter setup being used here, but there are many of these that do NOT like the filter pre-filled before installation. Kind of counter-intuitive, but it's something to do with the oil pump getting the air out of itself. Some setups also require use of a different filter element.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:47 PM
jdgunn
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hey, not that there aren't already a hundred threads on this subject. I had a hell of a time getting oil pressure on a new engine on Sunday using their advice so I might have a new(ish) trick. use an old shop vac to get pressure on the side oil filter hole (not the center one!) while cranking the engine. FWIW, here's what I had to do to get pressure:

1. remove oil filler cap, spark plugs, and make sure fuel is not getting to engine (pull the fuse, relay, whatever)

2. make sure you have 6 quarts of oil in the crank case (double check because, yes, you're an idiot just like the rest of us...)

3. jam a 2' ~3/4" clear hose into the side oil filter hole (again, not the center one!) pour some oil into it.

4. hand crank the engine backwards a few times (that's CCW to you and me, Clark.) oil may or may not get sucked into the oil pump (it didn't for me)

5. get an old shop vac and apply a good vacuum to the clear hose.

6. keep vacuuming, cross your fingers, toes, etc. and crank the engine until oil pumps into the clear hose.

7. immediately install a new, empty oil filter and crank the engine until you get pressure on the gauge.

I did all this with the engine on the ground and hacked up wiring for the starter and oil gauge. I imagine it would take 2 people to do it with the engine in the car.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:16 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Ross
It's a common procedure when there will be a long time between assembly and running (like during a restoration). You can use assembly lube (Lubriplate) or even light grease.
928motorsports has a break-in procedure pdf that mentions packing the oil pump with lubriplate. I wonder what the factory procedure was...
Old 05-18-2010, 01:18 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F18Rep
yeah i saw that show also. I think that was specific to the engine that they were restoring although might work
Old 05-18-2010, 01:24 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by jdgunn
hey, not that there aren't already a hundred threads on this subject. I had a hell of a time getting oil pressure on a new engine on Sunday using their advice so I might have a new(ish) trick. use an old shop vac to get pressure on the side oil filter hole (not the center one!) while cranking the engine. FWIW, here's what I had to do to get pressure:

1. remove oil filler cap, spark plugs, and make sure fuel is not getting to engine (pull the fuse, relay, whatever)

2. make sure you have 6 quarts of oil in the crank case (double check because, yes, you're an idiot just like the rest of us...)

3. jam a 2' ~3/4" clear hose into the side oil filter hole (again, not the center one!) pour some oil into it.

4. hand crank the engine backwards a few times (that's CCW to you and me, Clark.) oil may or may not get sucked into the oil pump (it didn't for me)

5. get an old shop vac and apply a good vacuum to the clear hose.

6. keep vacuuming, cross your fingers, toes, etc. and crank the engine until oil pumps into the clear hose.

7. immediately install a new, empty oil filter and crank the engine until you get pressure on the gauge.

I did all this with the engine on the ground and hacked up wiring for the starter and oil gauge. I imagine it would take 2 people to do it with the engine in the car.
Isnt it suppose to be 7 quarts or are you pouring a quart down the oil filter tube?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:06 PM
jdgunn
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I run all my cars at least a quart low. Saves a ton of money.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:00 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by jdgunn
I run all my cars at least a quart low. Saves a ton of money.
$4.50 to be exact 4 times a year? Not sure i would cut a corner like that
Old 05-18-2010, 04:44 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going out on a limb here, but assemble everything and start the motor. I have installed several OPRV(both styles) w/out the tool - its not hard with the motor on a stand. However, more importantly, I have not seen a discernable reading on the pressure gauge at starter speed.
I would give it a quick start to see what happens.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:34 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

When I did a head gasket job I tried to build oil pressure with the starter but never got the needle to move. When I started the engine I had pressure within 1-3 seconds, the starter probably doesn't spin the crank fast enough to build pressure.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:46 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

thanx everyone..will try each method and report back with results..btw,i have a thread in the 951 specific forums as well.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did mine, I did the oil into the filter housing and cranked the motor ccw, but was still having trouble building pressure. I took someones advice and applied ~10psi of compressed air to the dipstick tube while cranking and got oil pressure pretty quick.

Quick Reply: Trouble getting oil pressure on new motor