Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Regulator 944S Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 PM
major
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Window Regulator 944S Question

I have replaced my drivers side window regulator twice with good used parts and the regulators and motors have always worked properly. My question is about the linkage or connections between the glass frame bottom and the small black rollers on the regulators arms. Are the black rollers (wheels) suppose to fit inside the slotted track on the side of the glass at the bottom of the glass frame? It looks like it is suppose to fit there but the track seems to be too short to completely capture (or enclose) the black wheel. The wheels will not stay in the track. The only way I can make the regulator work is to just sit the bottom of the glass on the black wheels which does not seem proper. The glass is original. Could it have been used in other cars and not the proper glass for my 1987 944S?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:15 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The wheels definitely do go inside of the track.

I'm not sure what you mean by the track being too short - if the wheels fall out, you're window isn't in straight or the regulator isn't adjusted properly.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:26 PM
major
Advanced

What I mean is that the wheel goes in the track and when the window is lowered the wheel will travel completely through the track and out the end of the track and become disconnected from the window.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:52 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Can you take a picture? Sounds like something is way off. I know if you don't have them together all the way that this is possible (in fact, it's how I pull the window out when I need to and get it back together).

Is it coming out of the short track (part 8) or out of the track on the metal base that the window glass goes into?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:37 PM
major
Advanced

The roller wheel comes out of the track that is attached to the bottom of the window. The roller that goes in the track on the inside of the door(#8) itself works fine. It is as if the track on the window needs to be longer or removed somehow and repositioned back on the glass in another position. I'll get some pictures and see if I can post them. Thanks so much for your replies.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:11 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Definitely get some pictures. If I recall from the last time I had the door open, it is actually possible to install the window in the track in the wrong spot.

The one time I had to actually fit a window back into the track, I re-installed the track, glued the rubber piece that wraps the bottom of the window, and put the window in, then rolled it up (with all of the side channels in place and the wheels pretty well centered in the track) to make sure. Maybe the window was out at some point and wasn't put back in properly.

Pictures and maybe some measurements would help (like where the track is in relation to the window glass). I've got a junk door around here somewhere that I can measure off of to confirm with yours.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:14 PM
major
Advanced

These are the images I took. #660 is with the window almost all the way up and you can see the wheel is out of the track. # 661 also shows the wheel out of the track and it looks like the track is not long enough. # 662 is of the window all the way down and the roller is out of the track. The center of the track is about 11" measured from the front of the window (horizontal measurement). This is a drivers window. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:16 PM
major
Advanced

The picture order is top picture is 660. Middle picture is 662 and bottom picture is 661
Old 05-31-2009, 10:43 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

It appears that your track is too far forward. Its hard to tell what's going on because of the big black thing in the way (I don't have that in my door). But I just measured a piece of door glass for a driver's side door. From the back edge of the glass, metal track started about 3" in. That put the beginning of the track that the roller goes in at 9.5" from the back of the glass.

Here...I stole a picture from eBay. It's driver's side glass looking at it from the outside:

The track is slightly different than mine....mine has more metal on either sides of the roller track, but the important measurement would seem to be the back of the glass to the beginning of the first roller track, and that's what I marked in red.

I'm not sure how that could possibly happen, but it looks like it has. Have you tried to pull the window glass out of the track? Maybe it's not held in there properly anymore and it slid around.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:04 PM
major
Advanced

Thanks so much for your help. You have been very kind in answering my questions. I have pulled out the glass before but will pull it out now and take another look at it with your measurements in mind. It makes sense that the track has slid on the glass somehow and thrown the roller track out of the proper position. A glass shop ought to be able to reposition it for me. Thanks again for your patients.

Quick Reply: Window Regulator 944S Question