Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'89 Turbo...low mileage with Salvage Title??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

So if a 951S with a salvage title is worth close to 17k, and a car with a clean title is worth more, then why has mike had his white one for sale for months, and my phone not been ringing off the hook at 15?

could it be that one with a clean title is not worth 17?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:22 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ANY car is worth what someone will pay for it. I'm Captian Obvious, and I'm outta this thread.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
ANY car is worth what someone will pay for it. I'm Captian Obvious, and I'm outta this thread.
But CarNack here needs to know what will someone pay? it is obvious that somwone will pay what somoene will pay is the question. for the answer we must focus grashopper, focus.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom R.
But CarNack here needs to know what will someone pay? it is obvious that somwone will pay what somoene will pay is the question. for the answer we must focus grashopper, focus.

Tom, I agree with you, value wise. If a car is properly fixed, I have no problem personally with a salvage title car...I also realize that the value is less than a clean titled car, plus not as easy to sell later on. Both factors don't scare me, as I have two sons that I would pass down the car to.

In the thread starter's case, a rare 951 S purchase for $17K with a salvage title is too much, especially in today's market. The seller chiming in on this thread is bad form in my opinion, and could be seen as desperate or a seller that is trying to hide something. Of course, these are just my opinions as asked by the OP.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The funny thing about this whole thread is that many serious classic collector cars were restored from rust buckets, fires, wrecks, etc.

Some of the most expensive cars on earth were found in barns after sitting for decades due to an accident of some sort.

They just did not have the modern title system to lable them "salvage".

Just kinda funny.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cole
The funny thing about this whole thread is that many serious classic collector cars were restored from rust buckets, fires, wrecks, etc.

Some of the most expensive cars on earth were found in barns after sitting for decades due to an accident of some sort.

They just did not have the modern title system to lable them "salvage".

Just kinda funny.
yes but - there is still a premium for an all original numbers matching car with provenance. rarity also is a factor. 951S production is too high to make one no matter how rare the color that valuable. my velvet red is probably as rare as baltic blue, and there isnt a 50% premium for that color over say rareguardsred.

Modern titles let the buyer know the car had at least 8k in damage at one point in its life. and lets the insurance company know it may or may not have been rebuilt to spec. if i bought that rebuilt M3 and it was stolen or T boned by a mack truck when parked, would i get full fmv, or 50/60%? why would i pay 100% of fmv with such a big potential downside?

the travelers adjuster for my roof was spending a long while admiring/looking at my 951 according to my wife (and the leak was on the other side of the house), and his name was cole, hence my question.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:00 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I will start by saying good luck on selling this car if it's a good one( there's a sucker born every min) and you say you don't need the money why part it ?? I guess I like these cars more then most to keep them alive!!

One more thing there was NO 1989 TURBO S 951 the turbo s was only for 88. 89 they all was JUST turbo again.

ONCE AGAIN GOOD LUCK can you put up picks of it here to see???
Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
OK I will start by saying good luck on selling this car if it's a good one( there's a sucker born every min) and you say you don't need the money why part it ?? I guess I like these cars more then most to keep them alive!!

One more thing there was NO 1989 TURBO S 951 the turbo s was only for 88. 89 they all was JUST turbo again.

ONCE AGAIN GOOD LUCK can you put up picks of it here to see???
I cannot believe I missed that tidbit. This is correct. They dropped the S designation after 1988, but the 1989 951 kept the same hp/options, etc.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
Yikes! You said "unmolested" and then on the next page it takes a big paragraph to describe all the damage and what you did to fix it. That my friend, is BS.

We can agree it is a fabulous, spectacular, rare 951 with a small glitch in the history books. You made your profit on this car when the insurance company "indemnified" you. Don't expect to make out twice. You seem to be pissed that your pennies on a dollar swap only bought you .75. There are a LOT of TS bargains out there. You unfortunately have one with an invisible blemish. I'm sure that it is a fantastic car for the right guy. If you get your 17K, I'll say I'm sorry. But if the offers come in around 12 and 13k, are you going to tell us we were right?

In this market, the only sane thing to do is to just drive it. Surely on some days it is preferable to a stroker?
Well said. Unmolested doesn't mean "sort of" unmolested and 'mostly' one owner is a good one too. Truthfully, nobody should be trying to sell a 951 right now if they don't have to. Funny, I put a for sale sign in mine and actually started enjoying it again. My car has a rebuilt title and it is definitely worth less than it would be with a clean title. That said, with clean title cars going for less than 10k, I think I'll just keep enjoying mine w/ a f.s. sign in the window.I made money when I settled, now I'm riding for free.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by harrisonrick

Tom, I agree with you, value wise. If a car is properly fixed, I have no problem personally with a salvage title car...I also realize that the value is less than a clean titled car, plus not as easy to sell later on. Both factors don't scare me, as I have two sons that I would pass down the car to.

In the thread starter's case, a rare 951 S purchase for $17K with a salvage title is too much, especially in today's market. The seller chiming in on this thread is bad form in my opinion, and could be seen as desperate or a seller that is trying to hide something. Of course, these are just my opinions as asked by the OP.
Seller has not done much for his reputation by posting here the way he has.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by damiza318
chimed in? I answered questions about my car.

Let's talk about your car HarrisonRick without you ever chiming in

Not like any of you are going to ever buy it anyways even if it was cheaper-priced

Just alot of nosy opinions here. Talk is cheap

This whole post is bashing me and my car

You're right car is a complete total p.o.s.

The frame is totally bent and the engine doesn't even run right.

And also my dog threw up on the carpet and I had diarhea on the the driver's seat one day after I got McDonalds drive through.

Are you all happy now that the cat's out of the bag.

You finally broke me down and got what you needed to all hear so shut up about it already.

The car is officially sold to me an off the market so you can stop being suspiscous about it now
Well since yours is off the market, let me chime in with my car. It is a two owner car before me, and i hardly drove it so it is a two owner car. The title is clean. It is an 89 951 so it is not an S but has all the S goodies. it is a rare and desireable color - velvet red with an excellent interior - just a few small dash cracks by the airbags.

My asking price is 15,200, it has 51,000 miles, and I never threw up in it, or ate mcdonalds in it. however, i think I did drive past a holiday inn in it.

now you guys can proceed to bash my car.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:12 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I never threw up in it, or ate mcdonalds in it.
What about Arbys?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I love a train wreck, and this is just about the biggest one we've had in a while.
Originally Posted by DLarsen
I am in the market for a 1989 Turbo and came across a low mileage (56,223) one in Baltic Blue on Autotrader....Shelton, CT area. The description reads:

"Rare 1989 Turbo-S model. Only 56k original miles. Gem-mint and Rare. 2nd owner car. All Receipts since new. All original. Dealer maintained, garage-kept, and only Summer driven its whole entire lifetime since new. Rare Baltic Blue on Linen interior. I am the second owner. I had bought this car from the original owner a few years ago and only put a couple thousand miles on it. Selling it because I don't drive it enough to keep. Always garage-kept. Never seen snow. Only summer driven on nice sunny days. Cleanest interior I've ever seen. Toally spotless and immaculate, mint interior. Showroom quality rare original Baltic Blue Paint. Well-maintained. Have all receipts. Car servied its whole entire lifetime at the Porsche dealership. Recent 40k and 50k mile service check-ups performed at the dealer. New clutch, new timing belt, new water pump, new rotors, new Continental Sport Contact tires, new koni double-adjustable mo30 suspension. Recent compression and leakdown tests yielded perfect compression numbers and likewise optimal leakdown results with less than under 5% leakdown on the cylinders. Totally stock unmolested, never tracked. One small dent on the passenger-side above the rear wheel that is hardly noticable and the car also has a salvage title because the rear axle got bent and needed replacing and is now fixed. "

My concern is the last sentence mentions a salvage title for a "bent rear axle". I thought salvage titles where issued to vehicles where the damage to the vehicle represented a certain percentage of the vehicles total value. A bent CV axle is not that much to replace; although the amount of FORCE to bend a CV axle may of done other damage to the car (transmission, etc). What's your take on this??? Stay away?? Yesterday, I sent an email to the seller asking for more information; but no response yet.

I've owned a 1986 944 na since new and always think someday of replacing it (upgrade) with an 89 Turbo or 968.
Run a carfax.... the VIN is right there in the autotrader ad. And good luck ever finding a turbo-S in that color combination with that type of mileage, basically from an original-owner too that already has had a PPI within the past month that was thorough enough to include both the leakdown and compression numbers along with all receipts from new which are all from the dealer and the timing belt, water pump, clutch all done within the past couple thousand miles. The price is negotiable. Another nice thing, I don't need the money and I like the car enough that I really don't care or need to sell it, just had the free ad space that I kept alive all this time from another car that I had sold years ago, thus the reason for the '87 in the title of the autotrader ad. The car is not eating anything so it's not costing me anything to keep it. Or I could always just part it out and easily make $15k to $20k for a couple weeks work.

And I'm not a smart owner, that's why I bought the car back for a dime on the dollar from the insurance company after they had fully paid out on the comprehensive claim, leaving me with both their money and a car that will part out for upwards of $20 grand.

The only goofy thing is jumping to accusations before knowing anything about anything. And I have nothing to hide between providing the VIN # and the name of the shop and mechanic that fixed it along w/ having all of the receipts.

And that car in the bay area has exactly twice the mileage; not really a fair, accurate "apples-to-apples" comparison
the car has that dent above the passenger-side rear wheel well which is mentioned in the ad description so of course it needed some body work, (just a little) and they also had wanted to paint and blend it. It needed a new wheel, tire, rotor, even caliper I think, spindle + hub, rear trailing arm, bearings, torsion bar, and rear axle / cv joint / half shaft replacement all on the rear-passenger-side. So basically we're talking about the whole entire complete suspension, what-ever comprises it on that side including the tire and wheel plus what-ever labor went into it along with the paint and plus the fact that they could not use many at all used, or recycled parts, the majority of which was required to be purchased brand new which all costs about a grand each for every little tiny part that goes into everything. I think a brand new trailing arm alone they had quoted out as being something crazy and ridiculous as a couple thousand and at least another couple things each were another grand or so plus the labor and they were worried of what-ever else they might find once they got more involved digging deaper into the car. Also there was an alignment and brake fluid flush and I'm sure some other minor stuff that I'm forgetting and leaving out.

And I wasn't swinging before, just doing alot of blocking

Plus the fact that insurance companies really don't know much at all about these cars and are really at a loss when attempting to value them. All of that's just being plain truthful and honest with you based upon my experiences in dealing with them. All of their reps that I've ever dealt with are totally out of their element since it's not American, Japnanese or within 10 years old. They are totally blind, uninformed and basically really clueless when dealing with them so it is easy to have the upper-hand with them or in any situation when you have more knowledge and insight than the person at the other end of the table that you're dealing with. They only had it valued at something like $10k since they told me the range for them was in the $9-$12k range which is exactly what they had it valued at during the time of their decision to total it. It wasn't until afterwards that I had to prove to them and basically fight with them in order to convince them that the car was worth more when it was time to be reimbursed and collect for my loss at the check-writing phase of the game.
You're right. I was going on personal experience, but I guess just because it hasn't happened to me yet, doesn't mean that it never will or can't

and you'd be surprised if I ever showed you some pictures of the cars that I've turned over for some nice profit by parting them out. They were a total mess and completely annihilated

(professional parter by trade)
of course, don't just go by my opinion alone.

Everyone else on here seems to know (or at least think they know) pricing alot better than me so wait to hear from some of their responses first before jumping into anything.

I would rather have a turbo-S with a salvage title and that only has 70k original miles than some of the '86 or '87 turbos that I see go for $6-$8k regularly and that have a ****-load full of miles. So I'm basing it upon that. More desirable car (to me at least) than those even if repaired and also alot less fewer miles than most out there. So I figure that it has to be worth at least a couple more thousand than those I've seen sell on the regular that have alot more miles and that are earlier models w/ less-desirable suspensions and trannies
Editorial: I WOULD RATHER HAVE A TURBO S WITHOUT A SALVAGE TITLE. Oh, silly me, I have one, and a rather nice one at that.

bad form? chimed in? I answered questions about my car.

Let's try talking about your car Harrisondick without you ever chiming in about it.

Hey ***** Shave I never said it was a one-owner car. What is wrong with you people repeatedly putting words in mouth?

I said that I was the second owner, bought it from the original.

***** Shave I also said that it was unmolested in the fact that it is totally stock, no aftermarket performance bull**** on it.

Why must I repeat myself a million times? Unmolested is usually always refered to the fact of whether or not the car is stock vs. being modified

Not like any of you are going to ever buy it anyways even if it was cheaper-priced

Just alot of nosy opinions here. Talk is cheap

This whole post is bashing both me and my car

You know something though....

You're all right, the car is a complete total p.o.s.

The frame is totally bent and the engine doesn't even run right.

There is bondo hidden all under the paint and it suffered flood damage from Katrina.

And also my dog threw up on the carpet and I had diarrhea one day on the driver's seat after I had eaten McDonalds drive through. And the battery area tray is all rusted out, and the power steering leaks and it burns alot of oil.

Are you all happy now that the cat's out of the bag?

You finally broke me and got what you all needed to all hear

The cars off the market. I don't need the money and would rather keep it than read anymore of your annoying, nosy opinions and assumptions

Just now sold to me. Wouldn't give any of you the satisfaction of ever driving such a nice car. So how many owners now does that make if I just sold it back to myself?

Now I know exactly what alot of people mean when I hear them complaining to me all the time about the kind people that are on here.
And no **** about the S-designation being dropped in '89. I just got served by all of you

I put it there because some people aren't such well-versed Porsche experts like you all obviously are and don't know that the specs are the same as the turbo-S

Part it because I don't drive it. Bad investment. The money is idle. Be better off invested elsewhere where it can grow and at least pay off some kind of dividend / interest. Must I teach you everything urgrlsugly

People are so predictable and miserable and that is exactly why I had known beforehand what it was going to be like advertising this car.

Thank you all for proving me right

And btw great detective work guys. None of you even bothered to look into the car at all and came back with any type of facts or evidence to support any of your accusations about it being shady and suspicious. I had given you all more than enough to go on between contact info. for the repair work and leakdown tests / VIN #, etc. But I guess it's easier to just sit at a keyboard and type anything that pops into your heads even if it's not supported or backed by anything what-so-ever.

Just a bunch of mindless accusations. You all must be superstars in real life when you're not too busy being cyber critics.
Now I have a question: How many owners were there? Basically a one owner car is not a one owner car.

My 951 was titled in my wife's name when we got it. Then she added my name. Add the person we bought it from and is it a two or three owner car?
do my wife and i count as one or two? my wife has not bothered to drive the car yet, is she the same as an insurance company?

dmaiza
Old 05-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

what's this mean quote boy?

I like how you try to distort the facts and take little excerpts and bites out of whatever I say and then piece it all together to paint your own distorted picture but then conveniently you leave out the most important parts of what I've had to say.

I love how you're completely honest with someone and then they try ****ing you for it.

I said it all. And I meant it all otherwise I wouldn't have said any of it.

I was so completely honest to put any info. out there which I did and I put alot and then I am questioned as to somehow "hiding" something about the car. When I didn't even have to say anything in the first place...... strange

hahahahah

I don't want to say it, but you're such a .... off
As to the first highlighted part - I included the full quote, just highlighted the funny part.

As for the second part. Cmon, now you are out and out lying when you say you "don't want to say it". You know you want to say it, and I bet you enjoyed it too.

So who smacked up the car you or the first owner?
Old 05-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you're so interested, run a carfax. That's what the VIN # is for

I'll soon enough someday be buying and parting out your car for a dime on a dollar when you smack it up and can't afford to fix it.

I'll remember to take some photos of it to send to you when I've finished with it.

And as far your little highlighter, again like I said before, wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it.

You must really like fish sticks, don't you?
you can buy it now and part it. Once it is paid for i dont care what you do with it. You can part it, take it to a carnival and let people pay to hit it with a sledge hammer, burn it, eat in it, puke in it, i dont care as long as teh check clears.

you can make a pretty penny on my 51k mile 951S if you part it. you know that better than any of us. make me an offer.

And yes I am a holy roller. I am minister of the church of the holy macrel, formerly deacon of the church of the holy moly and founder of the church you probably go to - the church of the holy shyt! and i am also a vegetarian - no baloney for me, fortunately my wife is not, she enjoys a good steak every once in a while.

Quick Reply: '89 Turbo...low mileage with Salvage Title??