Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autothority chip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:01 AM
GGe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autothority chip?

Does anyone know about these chips...? Good or bad?

I bought a chip from Lindseyracing for my 944S2 but saw that this chip is not for '91 so I returned it. But I know that this chip from Lindsey works great.

Just wondering... I haven't heard much about products from Autothority.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They used to be a big player in the aftermarket chips for these cars. I'm not sure now but their web site should give you a clue. I have one installed in my 85 (early DME) with a switch that allows me to choose between stock and the mod chip. It did give a little seat-of-pants bump in acceleration but required octane booster and premium gas to prevent detonation (a hard and expensive lesson was learned there). I don't know if you will get more benefit from the S2 or what grade of gas you normally run but if you use thew car as a daily driver you may want to consider the above.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike C.
It did give a little seat-of-pants bump in acceleration but required octane booster and premium gas to prevent detonation (a hard and expensive lesson was learned there). I don't know if you will get more benefit from the S2 or what grade of gas you normally run but if you use thew car as a daily driver you may want to consider the above.
Why would you NOT use premium unleaded in a Porsche? Isn't 98 RON available almost everywhere over there? Here in Australia, standard unleaded is 91RON, Premium is 95RON (which is specified for the S and S2 engines) and Hi-octante unleaded is 98RON (about 10-15c more per litre than 91). I run all of my cars on 98RON (because they all require it - my S2 included as it is chipped - 95RON standard from the factory). Also premium and hi-octane do not use ethanol specifically here either (we have E10 for that - it's cheaper than 91RON) but I think you guys have higher ethanol blends over there (which are not recommended by Porsche here - 5% max is allowable). You guys also have the cheapest vehicles and (almost the cheapest) petrol in the world.

Also, the ROW impression of the US is that the majority of the population drive inefficient 3 tonne SUVs and don't particularly care about fuel consumption.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:49 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I have one of their chips in my '87 and I've switched back and forth between it and stock. The car seems to run smoother and rev more freely with it but I couldn't say if it was actually any faster with it.

BB.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Red_Envy
Instructor

I have one...good for the low revs. I noticed the difference but no big HP gains so depends what you are looking for
Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over here, 87 octane is 'regular' unleaded, 89 is medium grade and hi-test is usually 92 but a few places sell 93. I know there is a conversion formula to let us compare apples and apples but I'm too lazy to look it up. I can only speak for early U.S. spec 944's in that they run fine on the lower grade of fuel. Why would anyone spend the extra money for octane they don't need?
Old 05-25-2009, 09:54 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say that Autothority is the gold standard in Porsche chips. I have never seen a chip do anything positive for a Porsche with the exception of a 951. And evan then there are huge trade offs.
I would'nt waste my time on a chip.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:15 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd disagree - I've tried them all and the Vitesse AFM chip, at least IMHO, is the 'gold standard'. My 87 951 runs like a top with that chip - the autoauthorty wasn't too bad for me but the 951MAX chip beat my car to hell (detonation = head gasket replacement).

BTW, you don't just 'get horsepower' from a chip. A chip changes the fuel map to supply more fuel at higher boost which then brings more HP. So, in order to get more HP you'd need to upgrade your WG, add a boost enhancer or boost controller, etc...
Old 05-25-2009, 12:20 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

thats a lie. chips also up the boost to a certain extent as well as change the fuel map. more boost=more powar. But thats prittty much it if you want anything more then you need too do what your saying. bigger injectors bigger turbo... bla bla bla

Originally Posted by choinga
I'd disagree - I've tried them all and the Vitesse AFM chip, at least IMHO, is the 'gold standard'. My 87 951 runs like a top with that chip - the autoauthorty wasn't too bad for me but the 951MAX chip beat my car to hell (detonation = head gasket replacement).

BTW, you don't just 'get horsepower' from a chip. A chip changes the fuel map to supply more fuel at higher boost which then brings more HP. So, in order to get more HP you'd need to upgrade your WG, add a boost enhancer or boost controller, etc...
Old 05-25-2009, 03:06 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not a lie. The chip itself doesn't GIVE you HP. It changes stock charactersics...ie; boost which gives you more HP. All things equal - you don't put a chip in and stay at stock 10PSI boost and get an extra 40HP from 'the chip'.

Typically, when people change chips they are also making other changes to their engine - ie; MAF, new turbo, LBE, manual or electronic boost control, etc...
Old 05-25-2009, 08:53 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
I would say that Autothority is the gold standard in Porsche chips. I have never seen a chip do anything positive for a Porsche with the exception of a 951. And evan then there are huge trade offs.
I would'nt waste my time on a chip.
My car came with a Autothority chip and I switched to the 944Max chip. The 944Max chip is definitely better in cold start drivability and mid-range throttle response. I didn't notice any difference WOT. And its smoother on drop throttle as well (the old chip would almost stumble for a second). For me it was a worthwhile upgrade with no tradeoffs. (I've never tried the stock chip).

Quick Reply: Autothority chip?