Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get away with spraying the car with BMW calypso red w/o doing the jambs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 12:13 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you are not going to do a proper job spraying it, just spray it the stock color.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
if you are not going to do a proper job spraying it, just spray it the stock color.
Ditto--you failed to mention that your doors are black. This would be very obvious. Factory color or not, you should spray the jambs now.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

are you making your car into a spec racer?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:13 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I had no plans to do that,
just a weekend toy to take around some twisties and maybe some track time.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by halik
I had no plans to do that,
just a weekend toy to take around some twisties and maybe some track time.
Then do it right. a weekend toy is supposed to be something you are proud of.

why would a porsche color cost so much more than a bmw color? if cost is a concern, make it a nice burgandy without the metal. You will probably be happier with the result of a do it yourself job without the metallic headaches.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:28 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Then do it right. a weekend toy is supposed to be something you are proud of.

why would a porsche color cost so much more than a bmw color? if cost is a concern, make it a nice burgandy without the metal. You will probably be happier with the result of a do it yourself job without the metallic headaches.
Well generally anything that says "porsche" on it will be more expensive, but more importantly I like calypso red more than garnet red. It's not as if I'll be able to match the paint to the jambs anyway (since the red pigment is washed out), so I may as well shoot it with something i like.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:39 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Do what you want but the point everyone is trying to make is that you'll be dissapointed. Take the extra couple of hours and pull the doors.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well generally anything that says "porsche" on it will be more expensive, but more importantly I like calypso red more than garnet red. It's not as if I'll be able to match the paint to the jambs anyway (since the red pigment is washed out), so I may as well shoot it with something i like.
There is no such thing as "Porsche" paint. Paint is priced based on color, red pearl will be at the top of the range even if it is a Kia color. As for the jambs, the color there should be more intact due to the fact that jambs are not exposed to uv like the exterior of the car. Regardless of your reasoning, make yourself happy. You have asked for opinions and opinions you have received. Btw, if you don't paint the jambs, you will get less $$ when you sell it eventually. This is true even if it is priced low because even cheap porsche buyers are picky bastards.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:45 PM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Pulling the doors is a pain in the *** (wiring and the power mirrors). Keep the stock color or put the time in to do it right.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:17 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well generally anything that says "porsche" on it will be more expensive,
Ummm...not paint. It doesn't say Porsche on it. Its just a formula.

Red = expensive. Metallic = expensive. But the color isn't the expensive part of paint, so that shouldn't be a real consideration. Yes, black or white might be $60 for a 1/2 gallon, and garnet red metallic will cost 3 times that much. In the end, you still spend $600 or more by the time you get the rest of the materials you need to do a proper base/clear paint job. So color prices shouldn't enter into the equation. If they do, you simply don't have (or don't want to spend) enough money to even cover your sandpaper to do a proper job.

Quick Reply: Can I get away with spraying the car with BMW calypso red w/o doing the jambs?