Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery issues (87 944 NA)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Anaheim944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery issues (87 944 NA)

Ok, I just read a ton of threads regarding battery issues but non of them gave an answer regarding my issue. I've had to get about 1 new battery every year. I never really thought about it though until the last one died incredibly fast. I've come to the conclusion that something is on 24/7. What I think has been happening is that I used to drive the car so much it was just recharging itself and as time would go by the battery had a harder time starting the car and I thought it was other issues (had the starter rebuilt twice)(new wires and plugs). The battery before last I didnt drive it for about 1 week and when I went o take it for a spin the batt was dead. Thats when I thought I coulda swore I just bought this batt. So I went in to get a new 1 and I took my old core. The guy at the store did something and then told me hey this battery is still under warranty and that I had bought it about 1 year ago. So he tested it, said something was wrong with the batt and gave me a new one. I dont think it was the batt though. I stepped back and thought about it and most of the issues I've had with my car since I bought it could have been batt issues. So I go home drive around for about 1 week and park it again for carpooling to work. I know I shouldnt leave it sitting but still when I went to drive her about 3 weeks later and dead. All these times I say dead I mean dead. Not a click. Nothing at all. So my questions are..Are there any common issues with something staying on and draining the battery? Or is there a way I could find out what is staying on? I really appreciate the help guys. FYI the fan stays on for a minute after the car is shut off but turns right off. The windows works when the car is off but only for a minute or 2. The stereo is aftermarket and was installed at Good Guys but does not turn on without the key in the ignition, there is a blinking red light on the stereo that blinks about every 5 seconds all day and all night (kinda like a little alarm light) Weird since the stereo has no sign of life if the keys not in. THANKS AHEAD OF TIME!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:53 PM
hidsolutions
Track Day

How often are you actually driving it now? I have a track car that I drive barely once a week. Regardless of that the battery will die. It is getting older in age and being a european car it has a bunch of electronics that seem to want to drain the battery while sitting.

I would recommend installing this and you should not have a problem anymore. And it is cheap

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1
Old 05-13-2009, 02:11 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

A better solution is a trickle charger. You can get one that plugs into the cigarette lighter or wire one up directly to the battery. Plug it in when you're not driving it and it'll be ready to go whenever you drive the car.
My truck sometimes sits for two weeks at a time, but it's always plugged in. It been over 10 years now on the original battery.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:14 PM
hidsolutions
Track Day

Trickle charger will also work. Some amount of effort to plug it in and/or wire it up. With the quick disconnect you just pop the hood, spin the **** and start the car

If your not parked inside or in a garage or parked at the airport or somewhere else the quick disconnect is a better solution.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Anaheim944
Instructor

Wow both awesome ideas. Thanks for the quick response too. I was actually hoping for one because I am about to take this batt in and get a new one. THANKS ALOT
Old 05-13-2009, 02:18 PM
hidsolutions
Track Day

If your getting a new battery get the quick disconnect and install with new battery. Will be all set. Also will be a cheaper solution and a good theft deterrent.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Anaheim944
Instructor

I bought the disconnect and it didnt fit. Well it did but there is not enough room to disconnect. Anyone have a pic of how its looks in their 944. Thanks (cost $3 at wally world)
Old 05-13-2009, 08:48 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

You can put the disconnect on either terminal of the battery, it doesn't matter. It should be easier to install on the negative since it's not so tight up against the glass.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Refrain from driving your car for a few days and measure and chart your voltage readings over time. If it drops, you have a parasitic drain. If it doesn't, it's probably a bad alternator. To diagnose that, park the car and disconnect the battery. Again keep track of voltage. It should stay the same over time.

Another alternative means to dx the alternator is take it to a battery shop. Most will test it for you before they sell you a new batt.

The reason I bring this up is, if you put in the quick disconnect but it's a bad alternator, you'll still have the same problem.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:34 PM
hidsolutions
Track Day

Originally Posted by Anaheim944
I bought the disconnect and it didnt fit. Well it did but there is not enough room to disconnect. Anyone have a pic of how its looks in their 944. Thanks (cost $3 at wally world)
Wow cheap.

Try the other terminal?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 AM
Anaheim944
Instructor

I'm not a big mechanic so I just want to be sure it is ok to just put it on the negative. On the box it sais to put it on the positive. I think the alternator is good because I can take the batt completely off and the car keeps running. Is that right? Also I am going to monitor the voltage. Thanks again guys
Old 05-14-2009, 09:33 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

A Battery Tender is even a better option than a trickle charger. They come with a pigtail that can be permanently wired to the car, then you just plug it in when you get home. Hide the wire either inside the car or an easily accessible spot outside the car and you won't even have to pop the hood. I have several of these (shop around, you can get them for <$50): http://batterytender.com/product_inf...a394ba6c3d34fc

FWIW, I can park my car for a couple of weeks without issue, but if it sits for about a month, the battery will be dead, or close to it.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:01 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

door switches.

If the door switch does not work the power window relay will remain energized. This will drawn down a good battery in a little over a week. So make sure you interior light comes on when you open the driver's door. This is an easy way to be sure the door switch is working.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Anaheim944
Instructor

Door switch you say... My dome light works in the on position, but does nothing door open or closed in the other two settings. Which position is off and which for when the doors are open. Sorry I dont have another 944 to check. How would I fix that? If I leave it off will that stop the battery from draining? I once changed the bulb on my dome light with the car on and blew a fuse and the clock kept acting funny. The bulb casing would and wouldnt touch the metal and I wasnt sure if it should or shouldnt. The clock work on and off. It would and wouldnt work without a bulb. Even now I get in and the time is random. I was just at a loss. I bet thats going to be it, something with the dome light. Any help anyone can give me with the dome light setup, fuse, anything I would appreciate it.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:44 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get your multimeter out and do the procedure described on Clark's page to check the parasitic drain. It should be around 60-65ma - if it's more than than that with the doors closed and the keys out of the ignition then that's probably your problem.

If there's something else then you'll just have to open the fuse box and start pulling until you find the culprit.

Quick Reply: Battery issues (87 944 NA)