Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on some bodywork.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:33 PM
StickShift
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on some bodywork.

It is time to take a look at fixing some of the PO modifications to my car. What is the best was to go about fixing these dents?
I have zero experience with bodywork, other than what I have done on my truck with a sledge. I have a feeling this is not an option here. I can't afford a body shop to do the work, and I do feel with some direction I can do this myself. I am thinking I will need to weld pins and pull it? Or should I look into replacing the whole rear panel?

And how in the world does someone dent the car in that location? The rest of the panel is fine.

Name:  RearSmall.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  65.1 KB

Name:  RearClose.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  RearAngle.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  71.2 KB

It is a bit difficult to see the extent of the damage, but I am not sure how to get a better picture.

And here is the beauty. Not really sure why the PO felt the need to install an antenna.

Name:  Love.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  72.9 KB
Old 05-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember correctly, only way to fix that rear panel is to weld a replacement in.

Is that the rear fender that has the antenna hole?

You appear to be local - if you need any rear panels, I have a chassis that's going for scrap soon...
Old 05-12-2009, 05:13 PM
StickShift
Instructor

The hole is in the drivers rear quarter. Right above the sunroof motor, so everytime it rains it get soaked. You can see what is left of a duct tape patch, which did work pretty good until I replaced it with a rubber plug.

I am local to you, I am in SE. Thanks for the offer on parts, I really want to avoid replacing the panel if I can. I have a feeling it would be a royal pain to remove all those spot welds.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

...typically it's cut off the offending part, weld in the new one.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:06 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone had any problems welding the metal of a 944?
my friends and father have tried welding up my battery tray, and they all seem to keep blowing holes right through the steel, but with even thinner metal, there is no problem.

o.p. might consider that if you have the same problem...my welds and blowthroughs are concealed more than what your body panels would be.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:42 PM
944J
Banned

i think the paintless dent repair can fix those dents or really improve them for under $1000, maybe under $500...
Old 05-12-2009, 11:29 PM
RedRose
Racer

I saw something at the store the other day, a do it yourself paintless dent removal. Basically it was an arch that you put on both sides of the dent, and it had a suction cup to put on the dent, and you twisted a screw to pull it out. Thoughts?

Trending Topics

Old 05-13-2009, 02:30 AM
944J
Banned

i wouldnt try doing it yourself, even my expert ding master worries about cracking the paint on difficult jobs... go get an estimate at a professional paintless dent repair and see what it is...
Old 05-13-2009, 03:05 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Originally Posted by kennycoulter
has anyone had any problems welding the metal of a 944?
my friends and father have tried welding up my battery tray, and they all seem to keep blowing holes right through the steel, but with even thinner metal, there is no problem.

o.p. might consider that if you have the same problem...my welds and blowthroughs are concealed more than what your body panels would be.
Try 'soldering' with brass for the battery tray. It melts before the steel and creates a very strong bond.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:42 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you weld? If not, then you'll need to seek the help of a professional.

The hole in the fender is pretty straight forward - cut a plug, weld it in place using small spot welds opposite sides of the circle until it's welded all the way around. If you try to weld it all at once, you'll warp the panel. Once welded in, grind it down until smooth. You will probably have to skim the area with some filler, but if the repair was done correctly, it won't take much. Don't forget to apply rust preventative on the back of the repair.

That rear panel is a different story. It looks like someone has already tried to pop the dent out. That's beyond the realm of paintless dent repair. That's either a body shop or DIY panel replacement. Again, if you can weld, it won't be too big of an issue. The spot welds aren't difficult with the proper spot weld cutter.

Of course, there's other ways too. If you can't weld, then you can bond a plug in by bonding a backer on the inside of the panel, then bonding the plug to the backer using something like Lord Fusor 111B. A replacement rear panel can be bonded in too.

There's also the half-assed way of doing it...
Old 05-13-2009, 10:00 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have zero body experience, get it done by a shop. The hole is easy, weld in a patch as stated. The rear panel cannot be fixed by a dent guy...not a chance. There's two options...1. cut and weld in a new panel = best option, 2. get jiggy with the bondo.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:30 PM
StickShift
Instructor

So the general concensus is to cut and replace the damaged panel. Like I said, I have zero bodywork experience, and even less welding experience. But I do have a few friend who are excellent welders with great bodywork experience, but I didn't want to bug them just yet.

I think I am going to attempt to work the metal in the rear with some hammers and dollies to see if I can get it to move. Worst case I will go begging for some favors to weld in the new panel. Does anyone know of a writeup on the r&r of that panel?

Any issues with welding galvenized metal?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:11 PM
redmund
Racer

Grind down to bare metal, past the galvanised surface. If you don't, you'll end up with far more defects in the weld and a whole lot of awful (worse than just normal mild steel welding) fumes and some funky white fluffy crap. Clean maybe a half inch along the edge of the seam you're going to weld. Other than that, it's just like welding regular steel.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:10 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick shift, if you need body or paint the place to go to is East Portland Auto Body on Stark near 205. They were going to do Wipeout's car before it got totaled out by insurance. I would take my car there in a heartbeat.

Might not be a bad idea to go cut that panel out of Wipeout's car before we trash it... I will be amazed if that can be fixed in the back panel.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schwank
Stick shift, if you need body or paint the place to go to is East Portland Auto Body on Stark near 205. They were going to do Wipeout's car before it got totaled out by insurance. I would take my car there in a heartbeat.

Might not be a bad idea to go cut that panel out of Wipeout's car before we trash it... I will be amazed if that can be fixed in the back panel.
+944. Even if you don't need it, come slice the panel out. You can always take it to scrap later.

Quick Reply: Question on some bodywork.