Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starts!, but dies seconds later:-(

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:06 AM
thekidd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts!, but dies seconds later:-(

Ill start the story like this. January 5th? my car died. Tried jumping the battery, swapped in a new DME relay, nothing. Checked the ignition system, was good I think. I was told that if I didnt have tach. bounce, get new speed/reference sensors. I replaced them, and she started, sometimes. The first time she started, it took many times of cranking to fire up, she ran for about 1 second. Every time I got her started after that she ran for a little more. About 3 days later, she would run for about 10-15 tops, and cut out. She then, didnt start at all untill today when I put in a Fuel Pressure Regulater and Damper. It took about 3 tries of cranking, and she started, but shut off about 5 seconds later. If I wait a few minuets, she starts, and when she cuts off, I try to start her and she may/ or may not start.
Just went out side in the middle of typing this to she what she did. She started first try and shut down right away. Started second time, and ran for about 20-30 seconds, and sputtered off. When she was running, I stepped on the gas pretty good, and the RPMs didnt go up right away, liek she was shutting off, then she sounded good once she stoped sputtering. When she cut out, I waited, waited, and when I tried to start her,she cranked. But it was a weird crank. It sounded like the crank we all know, but a quicker crank? I had started again, but she cut off with my foot slightly on the cas. Sounded liek she wanted to run, but not enough fuel? I went around the back of the car, and there was a lot of water from the tail pipe, about 5 Ft. I think it is water, clear when I touched it. Smelled like gas at the rear of the car, smealed the tailpipe, and that smelled like gas. The tail pipe had white smoke coming from it, almost like a smoking gun. My brother said it was smoking a little when It was running, Looked like exaust on a cold day, but it wasnt cold here. I did hear the fuel pump running/ buzzing when she was running. Any thoughts or comments? Sorry if it is confusing and long to read.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:32 AM
El Commandante
Pro

I'm no expert, but could be head gasket troubles. Check your oil for milkshake, I had an 95 Nissan that did this when its HG went out. Plus the white smoke means that you are burning coolant.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:36 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I wouldn't jump right to the head gasket based on water from the exhaust on something that hasn't been running lately. Especially since we've had enough rain in the last week to completely fill up a wheelbarrow I inadvertently left sitting outside.

Let's start with things that are the most likely......did you remove or loosen the bracket that hold the speed/ref sensors when you replaced them? If so, you will likely need to adjust their height.

Also, how long has this car not been running? You could have plenty of things going on, like a stuck barn door on the AFM (take off the J-boot coming from the air box and stick your hand in the AFM....see if the door moves and returns smoothly). I'm thinking down this line because you mentioned that it stopped running when you put your foot on the gas.

Really, this could be so many things....standard "car resurrection" stuff. You really could not have enough gas for it to run. It could be bad fuel. It could have turned into varnish inside your injectors and you need to clean them out. You could have electrical or ground issues. I think we need a refreshed on the history of the car to give you better suggestions (how long since it has run, why did it get parked, etc.).
Old 05-07-2009, 11:04 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Replace the fuel pressure regulator it would cause these symptoms.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the failure mode of the FPR is open, which increases pressure. With the increased pressure the injectors can not properly function and causes the motor to essentially choke itself short of fuel. This is why the car will start initially as the pressure in the rail decreases after being shut off, so there is a resevoir of fuel at a slightly lowered pressure. Once the pressure builds again it will die.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:39 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would check the FPR and the injectors

If you know someone with another car you can swap the whole rail pretty quick
Old 05-07-2009, 03:37 PM
thekidd
Instructor

First off, I wanna just says thanks guys for the opinions. Yesterday, I did put in a newer FPR and fuel damper. I did replace the speed/ reference sensers, but did not touch the bracket, at least I dont think so, didnt mess with that bolt. When I did replace the sensors, I put about 10 or so gallons of new gas in the car. She did run for afew days after that, but not for too long, 10-15 at best. When I replaced the FPR and damper, I looked at my injecters, they looked really clean, and O-rings were in good shape. I tried to take a look at the AFM, but theblack plastic protection cover is glued on, couldnt razor blade it off in the one minuet I tried.
When she does choke out, it may be on her own, or sometimes when I try and gas her. A mind of her own, I guess. But, when I replaced the Speed/ ref. sensers, she did the same thing, chocking out, but she didnt start untill I replaced these. I think I am finding the issue, but in small steps, one thing at a time. Oh, and a little history on the car. Bought about a year ago for $1K, no PPI, but I knew what I was getting into from what people have said about 944's under 2K. Got it inspected, just needed a blower motor- fixed. September, starter went, replaced, couple weeks later, Master cyl went- fixed along with pipe line, hose and slave. Ran fine untill January, and thats the last time it ran on the road, really. I have replaced my battery, checked alternater, starter, ignition switch, coil (I think thats OK), I get spark becaeuse I have heard her run for a little bit.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:55 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were mine, AFM would be at the top of my suspect list. Starts and immediately dies is what happens when AFM is unplugged. I would check the AFM connector (clean it w/ contact cleaner...). Then I'd check that the voltage vs door angle doesn't have any irrational angles.
Good luck.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:43 PM
thekidd
Instructor

I did the check from Clarks Garage with the AFM still in the car.
Terminals 6-9 I got 10.5 DCVs unconnected. Then I connected the plug and got 9.7 DCVs. Both OK according to Clarks I think.
Terminals 7-Ground I got 0.2
I stuck a screwdriver in and pushed the "barn door" and it rose to 8.2. Clarks says it should rise with the door opening more, and it did, it rose about .2 everytime i moved it. Didnt seem to get stuck at any point.
Terminals 6-22 air flow sensor w/ plug removed I got nothing "OL" on my meter.
I just put the meter on 6-7 and I got 62.1 ohms. Clarks didnt say to do this, just wanted to check things out. This was with the plug remover on the AFM and was on the male ends. Did this to all the other and they got 0.00
I will go to a parts car tommorw and get the AFM from that (hopefully) and I will see if local parts store has a fuel filter. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Starts!, but dies seconds later:-(