Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Wideband O2 System for Under $100

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb DIY: Wideband O2 System for Under $100

Hi guys,
Im starting this thread to show my future progress with the JAW Wideband O2 kit. This kit supports realtime datalogging through a serial port, has two voltage outputs that can be configured for use as a narrowband emulator, 0-5 volt output (can be interfaced with standalone or gauges). The controller also has the capabilities for a EGT and MAP sensors. I really have no idea what to expect, but for $80 how could i go wrong?

The kit is i ordered called JAW 1.041 (Just Another Wideband). Here is the site where you buy it from 14point7.com. It is a DIY kit meaning you must assemble the board and components, so some soldering experience is needed. But the board really isnt to complex so i guess this could be a good project to learn on.

Ok well heres the specs.

Wideband Oxygen Sensor Controller
* Uses the inexpensive Bosch LSU Wideband Sensor.
* Accuracy to 0.01 Lambda
* 1 programmable 0-5v output channel
* 1 programmable 0-1v simulated narrowband output
* Free Air Calibration
* Reads from 0.69 [Lambda] to 2.33 [Lambda]
* Reads from 10.18 [AFR] - 34.28 [AFR]
* Built in RPM pickup
* Three 5mm LEDs on board to show power and sensor temp

Real time Datalogging via serial port
* AFR/Lambda
* RPM
* One 0-10v input channel

Digital LED display Gauge
* 4 digit LED
* Selectable refresh rate
* Brightness adjustment via variable resistor

Multiple Digital LED display Gauge Support
*JAW 1.041 Supports daisy chaining of up to 4 LED display Gauges to show; AFR/Lambda, EGT, Boost, RPM

The controller uses the inexpensive Bosch 4.2 LSU wideband sensor. The sensor must be purchased separately, but it can be found for around $50 on the internet.
Heres one i found on Amazon

So for $75 (plus $5 shipping), you get:
1x Preprogrammed Microcontroller
1x JAW 1.041 PCB
1x Display 1.01 PCB
6 female contacts (no pun) for making a low cost sensor cable
Plus all components

Seems pretty promising doesnt it? I ordered the kit a couple days ago, so ill update when i receive my kit... Stay tuned!

Last edited by Andy1212; 05-06-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:44 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

no ****

lol

very cool, keep us posted
Old 05-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Tech Edge diy wb02. I took one look at the kit when it arrived and called an E.E. buddy of mine. Waaay over my head--at least over the limits of my patience. He said it was fun to assemble and even put all the assembly documentation in a binder for me.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy, are you trying to turbo your NA?

Sounds like a cool project.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:45 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

how does it pick up RPM?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wipeout
Andy, are you trying to turbo your NA?

Sounds like a cool project.
Ha we will see!
Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
how does it pick up RPM?
Same signal the tach gets. so you could tap directly from the tach, or from the low side of the coil.

So after all things have been bought, the total cost will be around $140. Seeing as you can buy an Innovate LC1 system for around $200, this kit really is more of a fun little project, rather then the best way to get a wideband controller.

Last edited by Andy1212; 05-06-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet. I just ordered the AEM UEGO Wideband kit for $180 new in the box, which is great considering they are priced at $270 on the website, but had I known about this kit earlier I probably would have gone with it due to my project's budget.

Hope it all comes together well!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:12 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drift i got the same thing. Havent had the car running yet tho too see how good it is.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:27 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Andy,

How big is the display? If the right size it would be a great replacement for the dead clock.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
Andy,

How big is the display? If the right size it would be a great replacement for the dead clock.
I dont know the exact dimensions, but i think it is pretty close to the clock size. It might be a little bigger, but im sure you could do some modifications to make it fit. Ill let you know the exact dimensions as soon as i get the kit!

But another cool feature is you can choose the type of voltage output, so you could get a nice gauge that reads 0-5V. I might buy a Innovate DB gauge if i want to keep the unit in my car permanatly. Anyone have any AFR gauges they want to get rid of?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Just got it in the mail. All components are bagged very nicely. I just finished soldering up the display. ill update later tonight.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:16 AM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Alright my pos point and shoot is being funky so pictures will have to wait until tomorrow. But i completely built the controller board and display. I dont have a computer with a serial port, so im waiting on the serial-usb cable i ordered to hook it up to the computer and upload the settings. But i did plug in a 9v battery to the board and the correct LED's lit up, so far so good!

Well back to the board assembly. It was very easy. This was my first "major" board assembly. It took me about 1.5 hours, and i took my sweet time. I do have some previous soldering skills from wire splicing and things like that, but not small components. All my solder joints turned out great though, all shiny and clean, makes me feel pretty good! Lol. But yea, all the components were separated in plastic bags, and all bags were labeled (hand written so it took some deciphering).

Things i have left to do are:
Source enclosures for controller and display (im gonna try to find them local so i dont have to wait for shipping)
Order and install Bosch 4.2 LSU O2 sensor
Make up a sensor harness (I have to buy a VW connector to attach the sensor)
Upload voltage specs to the controller

In conclusion, i am very impressed with the quality for the cost. So far its turning out pretty well. However as i said earlier, for the money i think a Innovate LC1 is a better way to go. In the end i will have spent very close to what an LC1 costs. The LC1 is more reliable, has better support, better software, and a more attractive display. But come on , were 944 guys, we dont like the easy solution!

Stay tuned! After this im thinking a DIY maf/map project. Im looking for some sort of digital piggyback fuel control system for cheap, anyone got any ideas? If someone has a Power Perfect, SMT6, etc. they want to sell cheap, let me know!

Also does anyone have any experience with EPProm emulation? Im thinking that would be a fantastic way for us NA guys to some more tuning control. Im looking into the Ostrich emulator. Its like $200, but there really isnt much supported software for motronic that im aware of.

Alright well im done with my ramble. Sorry if its a little incoherent ive had a long day.

Quick Reply: DIY: Wideband O2 System for Under $100