Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennbay Rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:23 PM
ejsaenz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rennbay Rocks!

I got home from work today and it was Xmas!!!

I got the parts I ordered from Rennbay.com on Tuesday of last week. Earlier in the day I e-mailed Travis regarding not knowing the status of my order. He tracked it for me and told me it would be delivered by tomorrow, well it's here! I can now get my car running and not marking it's territory with power steering fluid.

The service was prompt and items were well packaged.

I'm still missing one item but it was not available at the time I ordered it so they'll ship it out separately. I'm glad they fulfill the majority of the order and ship the items that are not available later. This way I can get my car almost ready until the final part arrives. I will be using them in the future for my control arm rebuild and have no reservations in recommending them to anyone.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 PM
RedRose
Racer

Agreed, Rennbay has had great service for me in the past! The same goes for Paragon and Pelican, I have had great experiences with them all!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 285 Posts

Travis is definitely one of the best resources we have. Always willing to go the extra step.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, what did you get? Steering rack rebuild kit?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:29 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Travis is a great vendor. I ordered a custom length set of fuel lines from him at the end of last week and they arrived yesterday afternoon.

I've had very good luck with other vendors, but Travis goes the extra mile! We owe him a great deal of gratitude for bringing us new products that would be otherwise unavailable - like the Gates Racing timing belt and stainless steel hatch pins (among others).

Thanks Travis!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:07 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I love that there is a place to buy a kit (steering rack rebuild) that lets you eliminate a huge nagging problem (leaks) that would otherwise be unfixable (ZF can suck it) or unattainable (I won't pay a stealership to "fix" my rack). Rennbay for class prez!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:55 PM
ejsaenz
Pro

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
So, what did you get? Steering rack rebuild kit?
I got my rebuilt rack at Autozone, I don't have the facilities or patience to redo the rack myself, and for $100 difference, I'll let Autozone warranty the thing for life and do the labor.

I ordered the PW steering pump reseal kit, ( I should have researched the video before I took it apart and started to find ALL the seals in the kit!) It did get rebuilt and completely cleaned up of all the old fluid and crud in it.

I ordered new tie rod ends,Steering reservoir, DME relay, cooling system expansion tank, thermoswitch (on backorder) for my fans since mine failed and I now use the air conditioning switch to manually turn it on when it gets warm. My AC is leaking at the compressor so rebuilding that or replacing it is in order. I disconnected the clutch to keep it from coming on. I'm gonna keep it R12, I have some stored that I removed from my old Suburban.

I had planned to redo the suspension this year but I guess steering is kinda important too...

The reason I'm redoing the steering is because the car shut down on me on the way to work. I had it towed home and later in the day I began searching for the problem. That's when it decided to puke PS fluid all over the garage floor. So I gotta fix this problem before I tackle the shut down issue. It did start again when I charged the battery up so I figured the DME relay may be getting weak. I'm doing the work myself because EVERY mechanic I have taken the car to has screwed things up even worse, either by not fixing it right or breaking things and claiming it was that way when it came in...

Time to get off my soapbox now...
Old 05-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ejsaenz
I got my rebuilt rack at Autozone, I don't have the facilities or patience to redo the rack myself, and for $100 difference, I'll let Autozone warranty the thing for life and do the labor.
Good thinking on the surface, but those autozone/discount auto parts "rebuilds" are not exactly meant to last. That's why they give you the warranty. So you spent all that time in labor, and in a year or so it springs a leak or just straight up breaks. Then you spend more time in labor, get your warranty replacement, and do it all over again. I had to swap an alternator for a non-Porsche twice. Fortunately it was under warranty, but the alternator was for an Integra so it was a #$%^& to get to.

Good luck anyway.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys. Thanks for the kind words.

A note on the autozone rebuilds. From what people have told me they are hit and miss with what you get. The price is right and if you don't mind swaping it out if you get a bad one then that is a good solution.
Aribop is doing some rebuilds now and I would recomend one of his if you are not doing the rebuild yourself. They are not a cheap as the autozone ones but he re-zincs EVERYTHING and, from what I have seen, puts out a much higher quality rebuild.
It is getting time to do the rack in my Turbo and I think I might just grab one of his rebuilds rather than do it myself... just because I don't want to take the time to re-zinc everything.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:28 PM
supes6
Racer

+1 I ordered a set of fuel lines on a friday and had them the NEXT DAY on saturday for under $20 bucks shipping. I couldn't believe it!

Compare that to another vendor here who added an extra "0" to my shipping total on a backordered item.. I just wish I could order all my parts through rennbay!
Old 05-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by supes6
+1 I ordered a set of fuel lines on a friday and had them the NEXT DAY on saturday for under $20 bucks shipping. I couldn't believe it!

Compare that to another vendor here who added an extra "0" to my shipping total on a backordered item.. I just wish I could order all my parts through rennbay!
You probably can! Call him he has more crap on his shelf than time to list it on the website to sell it. Just call him.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rennbay is great!! It's Travis I wonder about though!! RENNNNNBAYYYYYYYY
Old 05-10-2009, 01:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by ejsaenz
how much was it?
Old 05-10-2009, 03:44 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
how much was it?
They're around $200, with lifetime warranty. You can go to their website and pull it up. They also offer a reman manual rack, but it costs considerably more.

I ordered a rack at the local VatoZone and didn't end up buying it. The one I saw looked like a half-assed rebuild - the allen sockets in the banjo bolts were completely rounded out, there was evidence of tool marks all over and the whole thing was spray painted black (which was flaking off). It might have been just this particular one and the manager offered to order another one, but I declined. I bought a brand new manual rack setup from another 'lister and went that route instead.

If you were looking for a rebuilt rack, I'd probably go with the 'lister that Travis mentioned. I've seen some pictures of the racks he's done and they always look immaculate.

Quick Reply: Rennbay Rocks!