Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinda new guy...Quick introduction.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009 | 09:55 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

im VOoDOoGTX on both forums haha
Old 05-01-2009 | 10:54 AM
Cole
Drifting

Sweet.

I'm 3-4 bolts from removing the head on this car. Then I will know what I am really dealing with.
Old 05-01-2009 | 11:24 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cole
I'm 3-4 bolts from removing the head on this car. Then I will know what I am really dealing with.
Ooof. Hoping for the best for you. Does it look like the timing belt has been broken previously? I found pieces of a shredded one on my car when I tore the front end down. Kind of a dead give away.
Old 05-01-2009 | 01:12 PM
Cole
Drifting

Timing belt itself looked fine. (needs replaced, but looked fine).

I bought the car knowing it "ran rough" and needed work, but the price reflected it too.

I did a compression test on it and found the back cyl at 0 psi, but the car actually started and ran.

There is a Ghetto Fab manual boost controller on the car. So I am hoping for just a severly blown head gasket. (coolant bottle was also empty). We will see what the true damage is when I get the head off later today.

The PO was not much of a car guy and you can see it was mostly neglect. Time to treat it like a Porsche again. Just have some catch up work to do.

Other things I have noticed so far.

-Power steering is super loud, full of really dirty fluid, no big leaks, but maybe a pump?!
-Passenger side lower ball joint is toast. Littlerally an inch of play. (Do people seriously not notice this when driving?)

Should there be a cat somewhere in the exhaust other than right off the header? This has some form of a Magna flow cat back system on the car.

Koni rear shocks, unknown front. K&N fliter (cone), no stock air box.
Old 05-01-2009 | 08:35 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

mmm...i think you need to take a serious look at that car....

and then put a v8 in it...

muhuhahahahaha! It will be fun whatever you do with it!

Ethan
Old 05-01-2009 | 08:47 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Cole,

Welcome to Rennlist, I'm an EX- B5 S4 owner as well, great cars!! Enjoy the 951!
Old 05-01-2009 | 09:01 PM
Cole
Drifting

Okay, got the head off and found the problem. Looks like it had one slightly bent valve.

You can see here where the valve on the right is not seated.

You can see here where it contacted the back cyl.

Just a shot of the others.

Not the best shot, but can anyone identify this wastgate?

Old 05-03-2009 | 11:28 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cole
Okay, got the head off and found the problem. Looks like it had one slightly bent valve.
Yep, that will do it. Which leads me to the next question, which you likely don't have the answer to - did this car break a timing belt, bend that valve, and then have some ghetto mechanic just slap another belt on and say "It runs. Good enough."?

Sometimes the level to which cars get neglected is just amazing to me. Love the 1" play in the ball joint too. How do you NOT notice that, and how does it not scare the crap out of you when you're driving?
Old 05-03-2009 | 11:46 AM
Cole
Drifting

Looks to me like the belt is pretty old. Probably stretched a touch and let the valve hit.

Seems like the guy I bought it from simply had no clue. The guy before him must have done all the work on it. The guy I got it from kept saying "I have no idea what the guy before me did to the car but it's FAST"

I shrugged off the comments because you never know what someone's basis for "fast" is.

So far this is what I have found in the car.

-Tial 38mm waste gate
-4" exhaust from wastgate back, magnaflow muffler, no cat
-MBC
-K&N cone filter and what may be a MAF conversion. (not sure since I don't know what the stock one should look like)
-"Huntley Racing" Chips.
-Boost gauge
-Headers have flex pipe in the, header studs, and looks like a newer cross pipe. (has joints in it).
-Head was ported/polished/o-ringed with wide fire gasket.
-Koni shocks on the rear, can't see the fronts yet.
-Momo steering wheel, but wooden and ugly, needs replaced.
-Drilled rotors.

Some of the stuff I am not sure about yet. I am trying to get up to speed on these cars and what is normal and what is upgraded.
Old 05-03-2009 | 12:32 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Well, I doubt the belt stretched enough to take out valves, particularly just ONE valve. So it might have dropped. In any case, I assume your head is going to a good machine shop so they'll sort that all out.

Quick Reply: Kinda new guy...Quick introduction.