Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Front Speaker Replacement

Alright, I just finished installing my rear speakers, and I think they came out pretty nice.

I used these speakers: <a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-KStWITd0cUU/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=52000&I=108625I&o=m&a=1" target="_blank">Infinity Kappa 62.5i</a>

Here's a picture of the finished installation:

I had a bit of a problem with them pushing out on the trim panel when I was done, but I think they'll be fine.

Anyways, now I'm debating what to use for front speakers. I had bought these:
<a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-KStWITd0cUU/ProdView.asp?a=0&s=0&g=51400&id=essential_info&i=1084625CFP" target="_blank">Infinity Kappa 462.5cfp 4x6" Plate</a>
but when I tried to fit them, the magnet was too big to fit in the opening in the door (and I don't want to cut anything).

Anyways, here are some other options I've looked at to replace them with:
Crutchfield says these will fit:
<a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-KStWITd0cUU/ProdView.asp?a=&s=0&g=51400&id=essential_info&i=500SPS4629" target="_blank">Alpine SPS-4629</a> - Look good, but are they the best speaker I could have there?

Crutchfield says will not fit:
<a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-KStWITd0cUU/ProdView.asp?s=0&g=51400&id=morephotos&pi=2&i=500SPS46P&display=XL" target="_blank">Alpine SPS-4629P</a> - These are listed as being 1/8th" too thick, so I will probably have to put some spacers under them, no big deal. Where they could be a big deal is if they have the same problem with the magnet being too big (like on the kappa's I've already tried). They way this was a problem was that being a plate speaker the big magnet was off-center in the opening, so it didn't fit. I have to wonder if these would fit though, because of this image:
(<a href="http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=252156&make_type_query=make%3DPorsche&model_brand_q uery=model%3D944&tree=Porsche%20944" target="_blank">Link - CarDomain</a>)

<a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-KStWITd0cUU/ProdView.asp?a=&s=0&g=51400&id=essential_info&i=500SPS460A" target="_blank">Alpine SPS-460A</a> - These will fit in the hole, but don't have metric sizing. All other alpine speakers include apaptors, so I imagine these will as well, but won't be available until 1/27/03.

<a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-KStWITd0cUU/ProdView.asp?a=&s=0&g=51400&id=essential_info&i=113KFCX468" target="_blank">Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X468C</a> - These are 3/16th's too thick, so I will probably just use a spacer to move the grill out 3/16ths. No big problem.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Just checking if this works....I've been having problems with my replies showing up in other threads.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:55 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, i just installed some Blaupunkts up front. I believe that they are 4x6. They need to be THIN to fit in the cut out. Go to <a href="http://www.crutchfield.com" target="_blank">Crutchfield</a> and see what they recomend. They have never failed me!
Old 01-04-2003, 07:19 PM
phantom309
Racer

I got the Kappa 462's for the front - I have no problem doing a little cutting down there. If/when I install them I'll post how I did it, and whether it's worth the trouble.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:53 PM
MadMax
Pro

Scootin,
Pretty good job getting the speakers in mounted. I only have one suggestion...you left an opening to the rear of the speaker. For best sound reproduction and minimum distortion the front and rear of speakers should be sealed off from each other. You will get sound waves from the rear of the speaker coming through the hole you left and causing interference with the 'good' sound coming from the front of the speaker. All you would need to do to fix this would be to take a piece of sheet metal, cut it to fill the remaining hole and then coat the sheet metal piece with dynamat or acoustic spray, then bolt in in place. If you properly drive those speakers with them installed they way they are you will shorten their useful life. Just a suggestion.

Max
Old 01-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

[quote]Originally posted by MadMax:
<strong>Scootin,
Pretty good job getting the speakers in mounted. I only have one suggestion...you left an opening to the rear of the speaker. For best sound reproduction and minimum distortion the front and rear of speakers should be sealed off from each other. You will get sound waves from the rear of the speaker coming through the hole you left and causing interference with the 'good' sound coming from the front of the speaker. All you would need to do to fix this would be to take a piece of sheet metal, cut it to fill the remaining hole and then coat the sheet metal piece with dynamat or acoustic spray, then bolt in in place. If you properly drive those speakers with them installed they way they are you will shorten their useful life. Just a suggestion.

Max</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm...I see the reasoning of your point & never thought of it. Just two things that it would have to be worth overcoming to be worth it.

#1, I already put the panel & rear window back in. It's not that hard to take it back out, but I'm kinda lazy & seems like a lot of work for such a fine tuning thing, plus...

#2, I have no scrap sheet metal lying around, nor real good skills in working with it (never tried). I imagine I could do it pretty easily, but still don't have scrap lying around (or any tools to use anyways). Maybe I could use part of an old computer case & a dremel tool?
Old 01-04-2003, 10:26 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

[quote]Originally posted by jabbadeznuts:
<strong>Well, i just installed some Blaupunkts up front. I believe that they are 4x6. They need to be THIN to fit in the cut out. Go to <a href="http://www.crutchfield.com" target="_blank">Crutchfield</a> and see what they recomend. They have never failed me!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually I have been working pretty closely with crutchfield's website (as you see in my first post what they reccomend). Anyways you're saying that the problem typically is getting them to fit horizontally? I always thought the problem was depth with the window track being right there. I have a pretty good solution for the depth problem (spacers & then I have some foam gasket material to fill in the gap on the sides & then just put the factory grill back in spaced out a little), but I have no real solution for fitting them horizontally if there's a problem (short of cutting, which I would prefer not to do).

[quote]Originally posted by phantom309:
<strong>I got the Kappa 462's for the front - I have no problem doing a little cutting down there. If/when I install them I'll post how I did it, and whether it's worth the trouble.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm...maybe I should just go ahead & do some cutting & put my kappa's in the front.

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2003, 12:12 AM
Highway T
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Scootin159:
<strong>

Hmm...I see the reasoning of your point & never thought of it. Just two things that it would have to be worth overcoming to be worth it.

#1, I already put the panel & rear window back in. It's not that hard to take it back out, but I'm kinda lazy & seems like a lot of work for such a fine tuning thing, plus...

#2, I have no scrap sheet metal lying around, nor real good skills in working with it (never tried). I imagine I could do it pretty easily, but still don't have scrap lying around (or any tools to use anyways). Maybe I could use part of an old computer case & a dremel tool?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just did the same job with Blaupunkt PCxt652's. First tried to get some scrap from the car body shop with no luck but then found that my local Home Base stocked suitable sized pieces.
I don't have a Dremel so used an electric jig saw with metal cutting blade and finished with a file. Just wear ear protection!
Old 01-05-2003, 01:33 AM
rcldesign
Racer

Smile

I put Infinity Kappa 60.5cs seperates up front... took a lot of work with some air tools to get the metal shaved out, plus some vinyl work and the like (I also layed 2 layers of dynamat Xtreme in them doors... and I think I'm going to replace the map pockets with new uncut ones, but I really don't care (I'd rather re-do the door in leather with the proper cutout).

Quick Reply: Front Speaker Replacement