Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Farewell 88' 951 project car.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:49 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by potent951turbo
More pictures!
Coming along......Will be painting without the front bumper, possibly the back. And of course, I have to find the right size pin extractor for the mirrors.
Attached Images   
Old 05-19-2009, 04:55 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude. Did your dog bite off a squirrel's head? If he did: "Gooood Puppy!"
Old 05-23-2009, 12:34 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
Coming along......Will be painting without the front bumper, possibly the back. And of course, I have to find the right size pin extractor for the mirrors.
Harry, do a mirror topic search under my user name and you will find a post I made about the proper tool to buy in order to remove the pins from the mirror connector. Pop those side windows out for painting, its SO easy.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:58 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by potent951turbo
Harry, do a mirror topic search under my user name and you will find a post I made about the proper tool to buy in order to remove the pins from the mirror connector. Pop those side windows out for painting, its SO easy.

I ended up cutting the wires, and buying some wire connectors so that in the future, I'll be able to do it without worrying about tearing up the pins. I looked through various places, and the only thing I could find was on I think Pelican's website, which recommended doing exactly what I did. A search here suggested cutting and resoldering, but I didn't search for your name, specifically.

I was actually going to post a question today, but you just brought up the meat of it. Either I'm illiterare when it comes to the service manual (quite possible!), or I can't find out how to remove any of the window molding. I dont' want to mask any crisp lines, I'd rather remove stuff. How do you get the rear window out? And do you know if you can remove the molding around teh front windows? Everything else at this point that would otherwise need to be masked (handles, mirrors, weatherstripping, lenses, windshield molding, etc.) has been removed. If I can get the window molding off, I'll be in really good shape.

Thanks for the follow-up, BTW!
Old 05-24-2009, 12:59 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
I ended up cutting the wires, and buying some wire connectors so that in the future, I'll be able to do it without worrying about tearing up the pins. I looked through various places, and the only thing I could find was on I think Pelican's website, which recommended doing exactly what I did. A search here suggested cutting and resoldering, but I didn't search for your name, specifically.

I was actually going to post a question today, but you just brought up the meat of it. Either I'm illiterare when it comes to the service manual (quite possible!), or I can't find out how to remove any of the window molding. I dont' want to mask any crisp lines, I'd rather remove stuff. How do you get the rear window out? And do you know if you can remove the molding around teh front windows? Everything else at this point that would otherwise need to be masked (handles, mirrors, weatherstripping, lenses, windshield molding, etc.) has been removed. If I can get the window molding off, I'll be in really good shape.

Thanks for the follow-up, BTW!
Nooooo you didn't have to cut the wires lol

If you have the pin removal tool it takes about 15 seconds to remove all the pins from the connector. Here was the link to the thread I made......

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ght=mirror+pin

The side windows just require that you push from the inside and help the rubber out. Once you get a corner started you can basically just pull them from the outside and they pop right out. The rubber is the only thing that holds it in. The front windshield rubber trim also just slips into a plastic channel that is connected to the glass. Just pull up on the extra bit that comes off the glass in the engine bay and you can pull it out very easily, its not glued in either.

Try www.clarks-garage.com for any other bits your wondering about, its a VERY helpful site.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:10 PM
67King
Race Car

Well, crud. I didn't realize there were as many sizes. Neither of the two sizes Radio Shack carried were right. The .093" one was too big, the other one was too small.

Thanks for teh clarification of the rear glass. Already got the windshield molding off, that one's in the shop manual. Got the window weather stripping out, too. Will check out Clark's for teh fronts. All the flat black metal may end up getting shot with DP-90, anyway. The door handles got painted by the guy from whom you bought it, and I scratched them trying to get the paint off.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:38 AM
67King
Race Car

Moving along. Epoxy primed, then some nice heavy high build primer. Will start blocking in a couple of weeks, hope to apply paint over July 4th weekend. Leaning more towards just doing it, myself.
Attached Images     
Old 06-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

looking good always nice to see a transformation take place!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:02 AM
JD 85 944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool project you have going there! I would love to try to do bodywork and paint on a car by myself one day.

-Jeff.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 AM
67King
Race Car

Default More updates.....

Finished painting about a week and a half ago. Still doing a little detail work, but here it is right after I finished. This past weekend, I started working on the suspension. While I was removing the torsion bars, I put in solid mounts and Delrin bushings. That was a lot of work, FWIW.
Attached Images      
Old 07-20-2009, 11:36 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice work!!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

67King, I noticed that you are using some HVAC filters at the top of the plastic sheeting in your paint enclosure. Do you have a fan behind them, and, if so, what kind?

Just yesterday, I started painting parts in a similar set up, and the fog of Alpineweiss single stage was everywhere! Can you explain how you built in ventilation, if that is, in fact, what you did?

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2009, 12:00 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by pontifex4
67King, I noticed that you are using some HVAC filters at the top of the plastic sheeting in your paint enclosure. Do you have a fan behind them, and, if so, what kind?

Just yesterday, I started painting parts in a similar set up, and the fog of Alpineweiss single stage was everywhere! Can you explain how you built in ventilation, if that is, in fact, what you did?

Thanks!
I rented a carpet dryer fan from Home Depot, and ran a negative pressure system. Worked well for eliminating that unholy fog. Unfortunately, I should have built a completely boxed in system, rather than thinking I could use my ceiling as part of the booth. I had a lot of crap get in the booth, including three bugs, which made a mess of things.

If you still have a bit of painting to do, and are doing the whole car, I found that mixing the color with clear made a big difference in the sheen. I was using PPG Concept paint. Mix the color, then mix the clear, then combine at about 50/50. The color does come out just slightly different, as the creaminess/yellow in the Alpine White is toned down a bit.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:09 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you put the fan behind the filters, and drew air OUT right?

I have an even more slap-dash set up, pictured below. So far, bugs are the biggest problem (dust doesn't seem to be, amazingly). Also, all the bugs die after the first coat of paint, so I have to remember to paint something inconsequential first, before doing something which would show the bugs it traps!

(Yes, this is a temporary outdoor shed).
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2009, 12:18 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by pontifex4
So you put the fan behind the filters, and drew air OUT right?

I have an even more slap-dash set up, pictured below. So far, bugs are the biggest problem (dust doesn't seem to be, amazingly). Also, all the bugs die after the first coat of paint, so I have to remember to paint something inconsequential first, before doing something which would show the bugs it traps!

(Yes, this is a temporary outdoor shed).

Yes, I drew air out. HOwever, those were my fresh air inlet filters. I used a piece of ducting (left over from installing an external fan vent hood in my kitchen) with another filter in front of it that led to the intake on that blower fan. The biggest problem with that is that it will pull the sides of the booth in. So you may want to add some PVC pipes or something to make sure you don't have an issue with that.

The bugs that I had did not die. Two of the bugs were moths, one of which got in the paint while it was still tacky, and was alive when I found it, stuck to the surface. Another moth brushed up against the paint and left powder in it.

Be sure you have plenty of space around you, and do not do what I did with the bumpers (i.e. try to paint them in the booth at the same time). The most egregous thing I did was brush up against the wet paint while trying to paint the things.

Quick Reply: Farewell 88' 951 project car.....