Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Recover Kit Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:58 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Rob, thanks for putting this kit together. Using your vast experience in these matters, what is the best way to repair and prep the old dash? I have heard of people using epoxy, plastic dip, expanding foam to repair the cracks, but what would you recommend?

The last thing I want to do is cover the dash with this wonderful leather and have it "bubble-up" from underneath due to bad prep materials. I only want to do this once, and the FL sun is very unforgiving on dashes. I suppose what I am trying to say is:

Do you have a write-up on the correct way to repair and prep the dash before fitting the recovering kit?

Thanks, Mike
Old 04-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 273 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by badcoupe
I just bought a spare dash saturday to do this with, how difficult is the install? It's probably easy for you but what kinda of skill set does one need also do you sell kits for the console and bottom of the dash if I wanted to it myself? How do you go about repairing the existing damage? Thanks!
It's somewhat difficult.
Skill sets required are working with, sculpting, and finishing 2 part fillers and/or epoxies, finishing polyethylene foam, fitting and trimming leather or vinyl material.
Covers are available for the lower dash, glove box lid and console, on my web site here

Repairs are done by removing the damaged vinyl and/or foam, filling the cracks with 2 part fillers, sculpting the filler to original contours, and finishing it to a smooth surface. Then adding and finishing a new layer of foam to help prevent future damage.
Finally a new leather or vinyl cover is fitted and trimmed.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 273 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Rob, thanks for putting this kit together. Using your vast experience in these matters, what is the best way to repair and prep the old dash? I have heard of people using epoxy, plastic dip, expanding foam to repair the cracks, but what would you recommend?

The last thing I want to do is cover the dash with this wonderful leather and have it "bubble-up" from underneath due to bad prep materials. I only want to do this once, and the FL sun is very unforgiving on dashes. I suppose what I am trying to say is:

Do you have a write-up on the correct way to repair and prep the dash before fitting the recovering kit?

Thanks, Mike

Mike,

I haven't taken the time to do a write up for the 944 dash.

The way I do it is by removing the vinyl to expose the bare foam. Fill the cracks with a flexible filler. I use one made by Evercoat. Its two part similar to body filler. Sand and finish it just like any other body panel. Feather the edges where the repair meets the undamaged area.
Then I cut away the foam surrounding the defroster vents to fit the trim piece and drill the holes for mounting.
Then I add a layer of one eighth inch polyethylene foam over the entire surface and sand it to meet the original contours. This will cover any imperfections left from the refinishing and give the new material a smooth surface on which to "ride" as it expands and contracts with temperature changes.
This is the same material and process now used by many OEMs including Porsche.
I use Weldwood HHR professional grade contact cement that holds up to heat and temperature changes. Despite this, the sun will always take its toll on a leather dash. All it takes is a few days sitting in the sun unprotected with the windows up.
I'd recommend vinyl in warm climates.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great price for the kit. I'd still rather pay extra for Rob here to do it.

Quick Reply: Dash Recover Kit Now Available