Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: '84 944 Black

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009 | 08:57 AM
RedRose
Racer

Default FS: '84 944 Black

My CL Ad:

Asking price is $5,000

Important edit! I forgot to put the most important thing! This car has just over 103k miles! Apologies to anyone who thought that I was misleading them! And another note, although it does not have carpet in at the moment, I can put in the carpet kit that I have for it, at least part way for the buyer! It doesn't look great because it's not a finished project, but if having carpet, even if it looks terrible, is more important than having it done completely finished, I can get it partway done for you

This car is a fantastically fun 1984 Porsche 944, and on the cheap! This 4-cylinder NA car is quick in any turn, and reasonably fast off the line due to its superior engineering and weight reduction by the previous owner. He removed all sound deadening, trimming weight off the car and making it feel even racier. He also installed a K&N air filter, and a racing exhaust, to eek out what little horsepower Porsche left hanging when this car left the factory in Zuffenhausen, Germany! He also attached a smaller Momo race steering wheel, covered in black leather, which just makes you want to take the beast through a lap around the parking lot!

The previous owner was President of the Eastern Iowa Porsche Club of America, of which I am a current member as well. He cared for and babied this car for 15 years, and I've carried that through to this year. The reason that I am selling it is that it is not fully finished out, in terms of interior and bodywork, and I do not have the time to manage a project car at the moment. I removed the original, beige carpet when I first got the car because after 25 years, carpet just needs replacing. I began the replacement project but just ran out of time, and removed the carpet again carefully because having the job half done was not as good as having no carpet at all. That said, I have a whole carpet kit in my garage that will go with the car, as will the extra set of wheels, fitted with Blizzak snow tires, only used for a few Iowa winters and in great shape!

This car is fantastic, beautiful, turns heads with both its curves, fender flares, and the exhaust note only a street prepared Porsche can!

As I mentioned, this car does have some things that need finishing, such as the sunroof lift motor (tilt does not work, should just be a cable replacement (cheap)), the carpet and sound deadening, depending on what you want the car for; the driver's seat bolster has typical 25 year old wear but is in decent condition; the dash has typical cracks near the vents, but is better than most. Shifting is good, handling is great! This car was made for windy roads, with its 50-50 balance and smooth, quick handling! This car could also use a paintjob, but certainly does not need one! It has road rash from being driven for so long on the front nose section, and the rear view mirrors. There is also one small ding in the windshield, but it is just a chip, not a scratch or crack. There are a few bumperettes missing (both front removed because they're ugly and right rear fell off at some point) which cost about $15 each. The front bumper has a shock which was pushed in by previous owner pushing against a garage wall at under 5mph a few times, and it can be found on ebay for $10, and the repair should be under one hour. The rear speakers do not work, and you can see my fix for this in the pictures. The large speaker is not set, which is why there was a blanket around it. It is a temporary fix and worked just fine for me. This car also has a water leak which I have found is from the battery tray corroding. The fix for a battery tray corrosion is to remove the battery, clean up any rust around the holes, and to weld in a new piece of metal. Many metal shops can do this cheaply, and they can be found just about anywhere. The sunroof seal also has a very small drip. After a high pressure car wash, two or three droplets will come out around one of the screws.

Lots of little things to fix, and I just don't have time to do them all. Someone with time could dedicate themselves to this car and have it in cherry condition in under a year easily!

Just washed and waxed it by hand, again, and here are some pictures, including a few of the blemishes. I do not want to be dishonest and hide anything on this car. Anything that doesn't work is cosmetic, all mechanicals are completely sound, and very strong! My mechanic also drives a Porsche 944, and he knows this car inside and out, and he is extremely honest, and has never damaged a thing while working on it.

This car is due for an oil change, which I will tackle within two weeks unless someone wants this car before then! Just needs to get some summer oil in there, it is set for winter at the moment.

I love this car dearly, and want to see it go to a good home, so please, serious inquiries only! More information, pictures, and detail can be provided through email or phone if requested.

This is a great car, and I'm sure the new owner will love it too!

One other thing... Did I mention it had a removable sunroof???? Takes less than thirty seconds for me to take it out and put it in the hatch myself, and the windflow is just perfect for summer!

If you have any questions or wish to contact me, use the email at the top of the post or call me at (319) 270-2066, my cell phone. I am reachable almost all the time except for school or if I am real busy.

Old 04-23-2009 | 10:46 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Best of luck to you, but $5k for an early car that is rock chipped down to the primer, with visible "questionable" wiring in the engine compartment, no carpets, and "lots of little things to fix" is going to be a hard sell in this market.
Old 04-23-2009 | 10:51 AM
Headhunter
Advanced

Dude, you're on drugs.
Old 04-23-2009 | 11:14 AM
gricec
Pro

Dont knock him,

I would love to sell my 84 for 5k. Mine even has carpet and a new clutch and various other things.

Even the electric wing mirrors work. Which supriises me everyday.
Old 04-23-2009 | 01:33 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gricec
I would love to sell my 84 for 5k. Mine even has carpet and a new clutch and various other things.
Everyone would love to sell something they own that is worth $1200 for $5000. Everyone here would love to see that their cars are worth 3 or 4 times more than they are.

Wish in one hand, **** in the other. Tell me which one fills up first.
Old 04-23-2009 | 01:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

944 wasnt built in zuffenhausen but glws
Old 04-23-2009 | 02:19 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

You can get a turbo in better condition for that kind of money....I did for $1300 less
Old 04-23-2009 | 03:20 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I saw this post during my morning viewing session and decided not to say anything...Something about "if you don't have anything nice to say..."

In any case, the price is pretty optimistic and it would be best to try to present the car in it's best light when photographing it. That means cleaning out gym bags and vaccuuming the interior.

Good luck with the sale!
Old 04-23-2009 | 04:15 PM
gricec
Pro

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Everyone would love to sell something they own that is worth $1200 for $5000. Everyone here would love to see that their cars are worth 3 or 4 times more than they are.

Wish in one hand, **** in the other. Tell me which one fills up first.
I think 1200 is pushing it a bit much the other way.

Id say that 5k is about 1-1.5k too much where I am, andd you neevr know someone might give you it.
Old 04-23-2009 | 05:58 PM
RedRose
Racer

I figure, in Iowa, I could sell it to someone who either doesn't know better or is willing to dole out the cash and could care less. There's plenty of both around here, with either dumb idiots or Rockwell moguls... I have it up here and on Pelican just in case anyone is in the latter category and doesn't have the patience to look further.

So $4,000 is a more reasonable price? I picked it up from the PCA president for $2,200, and had CVs redone, and tore out the carpet he had in, it was coming up at the doors and just looked bad. I have the new carpet kit (after the fiasco with Puffin04), just haven't had it put in all the way, got tired of it getting wet, etc...

Car's going into the shop as soon as I can find a driver's side mirror to replace the broken one, and he's going to do a buyer's inspection and see what he can do about all the 'little' problems. I'm considering finding someone to put in carpet, but there's only one place around here I can think of that'd know what they're doing with it, and I figure they'll overcharge me for it.
Old 04-24-2009 | 12:18 AM
WHAMspeed
Instructor

"Did I mention it had a removable sunroof???? Takes less than thirty seconds for me to take it out and put it in the hatch myself, and the windflow is just perfect for summer!"

Did I seriously just read that, this is a 944/951 forum.

You paid $2200 and will be lucky to get that out of it. I wouldn't waste any money doing the things you are planning they will not raise the value of the car. Put the carpet in yourself, hopefully you'll find someone in Iowa without a brain and you can get your 5k.
Old 04-24-2009 | 01:25 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

wow i paid $5500 for my turbo! I figure the money you spent on CV's will equal out the absence of carpet- the kit you have should be able to be installed by anyone that can work a can of spray glue. $2500 is a better price if you can get it.
Old 04-24-2009 | 07:59 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

i would like to point out that your all doing exactly what i did in another for sale thread. Your all terrible people. this car is beautiful, if i had the money to spend i would spend it on this car
Old 04-24-2009 | 08:41 AM
RedRose
Racer

I doubt it, Voodoo. However, I did note that this isn't for the sake of Rennlist. I'd love if a Rennlister *made an offer*, but it's just up here because now that I have a membership, it may as well be. If my classmates at school can sell an 80s Honda for 2 grand around here, then I'm sure I can get someone to take this off my hands for a bit more. It's really not that far off from being the 6,000 "normal", sorted 944, it just needs the little things done. I'll take more pictures and update information once I've got things done.
Old 04-24-2009 | 09:45 AM
gricec
Pro

This is definately the wrong place to sell this car. everybody knows too much and what you can get.

I live in a military town, and you would be suprised what people will pay for stuff

Quick Reply: FS: '84 944 Black