Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness with stock seats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:09 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Harness with stock seats?

I finally got the roll bar installed in my cab (pictures to come). I would like to have a harness to hold me in better but don't want to spend the extra $$ for seats right now. Has anyone used a 4 point harness with stock seats? All I need is something to hold me in better when autocrosssing, I may just use a CG lock if it can't be done with stock seats.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:11 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i saw pics of one of the challengers they used in 2fast 2furious, they cut straight through the back rest and slid harnesses through... incase you wanted to go ghetto fabulous
Old 04-22-2009, 03:21 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to autocross my GTI with a 4 point Schroth "street" harness, 2 shoulder straps reduce back to one strap and bolts to a rear belt location. Works a LOT better than the stock 3 point. Not legal for PCA DE's though, you need the matched race seats for tech.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

For autocross, the "street" harness should be fine. PCA DE rules say that ONLY 5 or 6 point harnesses are kosher, and ONLY if they are routed through an OEM sub-belt hole designed into the seat (not cut).

<sarcasm>Keep in mind that if you roll over, your harness will keep you upright and your helmet/head will be rubbed along the pavement like a pencil eraser on sandpaper; whereas a three point belt will magically allow you to defy all laws of physics and gently lay over in your passenger seat.></sarcasm>
Old 04-22-2009, 03:46 PM
krystar
Drifting

stock seats are not legal for any harnesses. u need a proper seat that has either holes in the back, or a proper ledge at the shoulder level.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by krystar
stock seats are not legal for any harnesses. u need a proper seat that has either holes in the back, or a proper ledge at the shoulder level.
That is DE. AutoX may be different. we gotta

The shoulder harness has to go through the top of the seats from the factory. the sub hole is supposed to be factory, but that definition is a little foggy. Speedware sells recaros with the sub hole, and i think they cut it in so it is ok. but if you do it yourself you have a ham sandwich in a kosher deli.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:28 PM
krystar
Drifting

well the thing is...the stock seats would not meet the harness manufacturer's requirements for a safe installation. Schrothe install manual has 944 seats as not allowed.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:40 PM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

OMP has some seats on clearance for $200 that would be good for a 4 point AX installation.

https://www.shopatron.com/product/pa...54.27757.0.0.0
Old 04-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by nkgosselin
OMP has some seats on clearance for $200 that would be good for a 4 point AX installation.

https://www.shopatron.com/product/pa...54.27757.0.0.0
if those are bottom mounts, and the holes on the bottom are not the same as either recaro or sparco prepare to spend a lot of $$ on adapters. also need to buy tracks. that $200 seat will be $400 in no time. better off with a used recaro because the bolts on the recaro track match the 944 mounting holes.

BTDT and paid dearly for it.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 AM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys. I didn't think it would work and I don't want to sacrifice safety. Those OMP seats are nice...I have been looking at a similar Sparco seat. The only problem is like Tom said, all of the add ons. Maybe I will find someyhing nice at Hershey. Has anyone used a CG Lock on stock belts?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:50 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jsaindc
Thanks guys. I didn't think it would work and I don't want to sacrifice safety. Those OMP seats are nice...I have been looking at a similar Sparco seat. The only problem is like Tom said, all of the add ons. Maybe I will find someyhing nice at Hershey. Has anyone used a CG Lock on stock belts?
Before you spend the money for that, have you tried the old twist trick? Buckle your belt like normal, hold belt in position at the end and release the lock. Twist the end about 4-6 times and re-buckle. Simple, but really tightens up the stock feel.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 AM
jpk
Burning Brakes

I just put Corbeu TRS seats and harnesses in my 968. Prior to that I was using the CG lock. The CG lock is better than nothing, but the harnesses are far and away better than the CG lock. By the time it was all said and done, the seats, tracks, and harnesses set me back nearly $1400.

I had seen some pics where someone cut shoulder belt holes into a 944 or 993 seat. The key was getting some kind of trim to line the hole; this looked like what Corbeu used on the sub belt hole in my new seats; just a plastic trim that snaps together from either side.

If you are doing this as a temporary measure, and really only plan to use this for autocross, I don't see much harm in cutting holes in the seats, except of course, that the seats have been cut.

Another option I saw was a 1" nylon belt holding the soulder straps along side of the upper part of the seat.

Yes, I know these methods are not allowed in any PCA DE, and it might not be a good idea to be strapped in that way if you smack a wall at 120 mph, but for sanctioned autocross events where the courses are designed to limit speeds and not have obstructions to hit, I think you'd be OK.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:23 AM
krystar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jonh
Before you spend the money for that, have you tried the old twist trick? Buckle your belt like normal, hold belt in position at the end and release the lock. Twist the end about 4-6 times and re-buckle. Simple, but really tightens up the stock feel.
or even the old move the seat back trick. move the seat back a good 4-5 clicks from your normal driving position. put on your seat belt and yank it hard to lock it and hold it. then move seat forward to normal driving position while holding the lock.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by jpk
I had seen some pics where someone cut shoulder belt holes into a 944 or 993 seat. The key was getting some kind of trim to line the hole; this looked like what Corbeu used on the sub belt hole in my new seats; just a plastic trim that snaps together from either side.

Another option I saw was a 1" nylon belt holding the soulder straps along side of the upper part of the seat.
The 944 seat is too narrow at the shoulders to cut shoulder holes. And the seat structure probably wouldn't support the belts enough to make them safe. The solution is an "H" strap that keeps the harnesses together behind the seat.

PS: I used a CGLock. It gets you about 1/2 of the stability of harnesses. Not bad for the price. But of course they do not offer any safety benefits. I've only done two track days with harnesses and race seats, and I am still gripping the wheel too hard -- old habits die hard.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:11 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
<sarcasm>Keep in mind that if you roll over, your harness will keep you upright and your helmet/head will be rubbed along the pavement like a pencil eraser on sandpaper; whereas a three point belt will magically allow you to defy all laws of physics and gently lay over in your passenger seat.></sarcasm>
Oh no not this again

Quick Reply: Harness with stock seats?