Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hey 944na owners interested in superchargers, read this

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 01:34 PM
daly944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post hey 944na owners interested in superchargers, read this

I, like many of the 944 na owners, I have a 1987 8 valve, am interested in what I can do to make my car faster. From what I can see, supercharging makes the most sense, the problem is as follows: rimmer doesn't make their kits anymore, and supercharging of knoxvill only makes centrifugal kits. I have been in contact with Mark Robinson, he works at www.f-a-s-tonline.com They fabricate supercharging kits for 928's that makes them sickly fast.

Anyway, here is my point: They are giving some consideration to making a supercharger kit for the 944's using a twin screw/roots style design, which seems to be the best. If any of you are interested, you can contact mark at mark-jra@austin.rr.com

the other thing is, they would need a 944 to fabricate the kit on, then they could reproduce that kit and ship it out to other 944 owners. They are located in austin texas, so if anyone lives near there and is interested in this, maybe you could be "the one"
Thanks for your interest.
Brendan.
Old 08-14-2001, 05:53 PM
Craig944
Banned

I talked to him as well, he said he was going to start ASAP. Whenever he gets a 944 in the austin area to do this to...
Old 08-14-2001, 07:01 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Shoot, I'll buy an NA, ship it down from Albuquerque, and sell it to one of you guys. Usually, ahving your car be the model=cheap.

Dave
Old 08-14-2001, 09:28 PM
daly944
Instructor

Ok guys, here is the latest from Mark Robinson at f-a-s-tonline.com

Get a tally of intersted parties, names are not important right now. If we
develop a kit, it will most likely be a full kit, complete bolt-on,
weekend-job (may be a day), over 3k, under 4k most likely. The 928 kits are
pricy becuase we have to update the fans & the plumbing's expensive (not so
on the 944). If we can get out without a custom pulley, it'll be pretty
reasonable in all respects. You're still looking at 26-2800 for just
materials, less brackets, air intake, ingenuity, tuning, oil supply &
return, etc. The blower alone is 1700. But, if interst warrants, we'll do
it.

I'm psyched, if they do decide to go, I'll be in and purchasing within the next month or two, my fundage is a tiny bit low after that manual tranny conversion.
Old 08-14-2001, 09:52 PM
daly944
Instructor

READ THIS EARLY 944 OWNERS:
I am in discussion with them about how to adapt this kit to your cars, cause I know that supercharging of knoxville's kit won't work on your cars, and there are probably more of you out there than us "late modelers"
I will definently keep you posted cause I know that your cars are somewhat harder to upgrade, i.e. you can't chip it, and I know that you would probably some of the biggest sales band.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:06 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by daly944:
<STRONG>READ THIS EARLY 944 OWNERS:
I am in discussion with them about how to adapt this kit to your cars, cause I know that supercharging of knoxville's kit won't work on your cars, and there are probably more of you out there than us "late modelers"
I will definently keep you posted cause I know that your cars are somewhat harder to upgrade, i.e. you can't chip it, and I know that you would probably some of the biggest sales band.</STRONG>
Why can't they chip their cars?
Old 08-14-2001, 10:15 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

early (pre 85.5) don't have a removable eprom in the DME, so in order to "chip it", you must send off the DME to get a socket soldered into where the EPROM is soldered to the board, and then they drop the chip in.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:20 PM
Craig944
Banned

I ordered my clutch kit and bursch exhaust system
-Headers
-Test pipe
-Muffler
...After that and electrical upgrade If I get a flat 7 or HIGH 6's in the 0-60, then supercharging would make my car pretty bad ***.
Old 08-15-2001, 10:15 AM
daly944
Instructor

okay everyone, here is an update

Mark said that the supercharging kit should be compatible with early model 944's too, and he may do an optional intercooler. What I need is a tally of all those interested, I mean somewhat seriously interested. I would like that by the end of this week, so if you are interested, just post "i'm interested", I am just looking for the number of those interested, names don't matter.

ALso, I posted this on the pelican parts board, and I have been accused of working for www.f-a-s-tonline.com Let me just say that I have no affiliation with them, and I really don't give a damn if you buy stuff from them or not. I am only doing this because i know that I want my 944na to be faster, and selling it and buying a turbo is not a solution for me for many reasons.

So, with that said, if you are interested, please say so. And I am not trying to start any big arguments or anything with you turbo people, or anyone for that matter.
Old 08-15-2001, 11:07 AM
my944
Pro

Thumbs up

I am absolutely interested in the entire package. Is this something that a fairly good weekend mechanic could handle installing? How close would a supercharger bring my '86 944NA to the 951's performance?

Old 08-15-2001, 11:27 AM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

I'm kind of interested as well, I would have to use Wilk's conversion to update my early car first. What kind of HP and torque could you expect from this SC??

Thanks
Jason
Old 08-15-2001, 11:27 AM
daly944
Instructor

A fairly good weekend mechanic could install this kit, there are no internal engine mods, and while it mike take up a whole weekend for the un-experienced mechanic, it shouldn't be that difficult. As for the performance aspect, I can't exactly give you any exact performance specs, I can tell you this: These superchargers will provide full torque and power from 2k rpms or so, so there wouldn't be any lag. Also, they will offer a real nice increase in power, at least 60hp, but probably a fair amount more. The kit that this company makes for the 928's adds 100 rear wheel hp. The no lag factor and the fact that our cars are lighter than the turbo's would mean that your car would be as fast if not faster than a stock 217hp 951. Also, our gearing is shorter, which would provide for quicker acceleration.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:26 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

I'm interested. Depending of course on final price and HP numbers.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:30 PM
daly944
Instructor

About the hp increase, if you wanna play it real safe, and only run like 4-5psi, you could still expect to be getting around 180 rear wheel hp. The good thing about a supercharger kit is you can start of mild and then go to wild. You can run low boost at first, then later on when you have some more money, you could get a water cooling system and maybe lower your compression ratio a little bit, then you could crank up the boost for a real sweet hp increase. 180 rear wheel hp in a 944na is pretty sweet. The main thing that you have to keep in mind is that it is making all this hp by 2500 rpms, so there is like no turbo lag. Centrifugal superchargers can make more hp, like supercharging of knoxville's non intercooled kit has like 214 rear wheel hp, but its only making that at really high rpms.

Flywheel hp will be very close to that of the stock 951's, and since our cars are lighter with shorter gears, that would provide for quicker acceleration. Also, once you install a supercharger, your car is now as easy to upgrade as the turbo's. All you have to do is what I mentioned above.

i will of course keep you all updated on the price and hp/torque increases.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:49 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

daly944,

Do you work for f-a-s-t online or what? Just kidding--I read your thread on Pelican, there were some harsh responses for someone trying to help out all n/a owners. Good luck in your endeavor, but why don't you just sell and buy a turbo?(kidding again)

Eric
PS Did you get your car back from the tranny-conversion yet? I'd like to hear your thoughts on the change.

Quick Reply: hey 944na owners interested in superchargers, read this