Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blaupunkt Tokyo install advice wanted...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 08:43 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Blaupunkt Tokyo install advice wanted...

Hey guys - I just got a Blaupunkt Tokyo to put in my 951 - can any of you give me any sort of oadvice on this particular radio? I've put stereos in car before, but never ones with this many gizmos!

Any one else running one? Anyone using the IR remote?

Any advice on speaker sizing (not physically, but power-wise)? This Blaupubkt is 4x40...
Old 06-27-2002, 09:14 AM
keith
Drifting

Ok, I got problems. After I drive the car a while, I hop in, crank it, and about 15-20 seconds later, the CD PLayer starts POPPING throught the speakers! If it is on Radio, it is more of an "interference" type sound...

What the hell? Am I having voltage spikes or something? The seller wants me to have it bench-tested. I have a 90 day warranty on this thing, but how do I diagnose whether or not this is a car or radio problem??!!
Old 06-29-2002, 05:31 AM
keith
Drifting

Anybody?
Old 07-06-2002, 09:47 PM
keith
Drifting

Ok, resoldered all my connections, and added a supplemental ground from the battery to the factory ground in the Porsche harness.

Also ran new, sheilded speaker wires.

STILL POPS!

I guess that leaves
a: some sort of interference of spike from the power wires?
b: some sort of problem with the speakers, or their bass-blockers (although they weren't problematic with the old head unit, the Pioneer)
or c: a problem with the Blaupunkt.

Am I leaving anything out?

I have a 90-day warranty on this Blau. I'm going to use it, I think!

Somebody give me some advice before I box this thing up!
Old 07-06-2002, 10:09 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you had no problems with the Pioneer you had in there then I would say you have a proble with the new head unit. What I would do is test the unit out of the car. Hook the unit up to a battery and speaker on your workbench. If you have no problems then hook just the power wires up to the car and just have a speaker in your hand to test with don't let the speaker touch any of the metal of the car. If you do this connecting different parts of the radio to the car you should be able to narrow down what is causing your problem. Also when you are playing with the raido make sure the ends of the unused wires are taped off so they don't touch anything.
Old 07-06-2002, 11:18 PM
Jay's 44
Advanced

your speakers are popping?? sounds like your clipping them, your making the the amp inside the blua work to hard, try not listening to it so loud!
If you had no problem with the previous deck that is what i would say is the problem, otherwise if you had the same problem with the previous deck, it would point to blown speakers! let us know what you find out!
Old 07-07-2002, 06:06 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Try a supplimental ground to the chassis from the radio. I have had problems with running audio to a seperate amp and then to speakers and experiencing popping...I believe I ran a stereo static supressor I bought at radio shack inline from the head unit to the amp and it solved my problems, but I don't know how this could be done since you are running your speakers directly off of the head unit. I would try hooking your head unit up to a 12V DC power source outside your car (a car battery? AC/DC converter?) and running speakers to it out of the car as well. You might have a bad head unit (I have had 2 bad brand new head units out of 5 I have ever bought), you might have two of the speaker wires touching, etc. HTH,
Old 07-12-2002, 09:56 AM
keith
Drifting

Thought you guys might want to SEE what the Tokyo looks like, installed:

And when lit up:

And at night:

Sorry about the pics, I'm just learning this digital camera, and the night shots are sucky...
Old 07-12-2002, 10:00 AM
keith
Drifting

Ok, I ran a supplemental ground, rewired the speakers, and triple checked all my soldered connections on the main harness, and the popping/dropping out STILL OCCURS!!!

Running out of ideas here...

This weekend, I'm slapping this thing into another 944 that is running a Blau to see if it behaves the same in the other car.

Then, I'm sending it back for servicing!

Quick Reply: Blaupunkt Tokyo install advice wanted...