Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grinding noise when i manual crank......

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:29 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

ouch.

as for the pedal problem check your clutch master and slave cylinders.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:48 PM
pwnmastap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kk. im gonna check for a leak or if one seized up. i have no leaks under the car just to let you guys know
Old 03-28-2009, 02:58 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

well ok, someone else should say something

aparently you shouldn't turn your engine without a belt?
Old 03-28-2009, 03:29 PM
pwnmastap
Racer

lol i drove mine without a balance shaft belt supposedly and look at mine
Old 03-28-2009, 03:52 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

driving without a balance belt is fine for a short period of time. but turning the crank over without the timing belt attached will result in bent valves.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:50 PM
pwnmastap
Racer

gotcha
Old 03-28-2009, 06:40 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

so I guess we just majorly ****ed up ...
Old 03-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roman944
so I guess we just majorly ****ed up ...
If it's any consolation, you are probably not much worse off than before you turned it over, since you almost certainly had bent some valves when the belt broke. If the the camshaft hadn't moved since then, then the valves that would have been in the way when turning over the crank without the timing belt would be the same ones that were damaged when the belt broke.

But it certainly wouldn't have helped. I'd suggest you should read up a bit more on the basics of the engine design before trying to do any more work on it. Certainly, someone who doesn't understand the consequences of turning the crank over without a timing belt attached shouldn't be undertaking something like a belt job.

Oh, and I'd save your money on buying the rennbay $139 timing belt until you've had the head assessed. (The head is the part of the engine with the valves in it.)
Old 03-29-2009, 05:59 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pwnmastap
ok to explain again what happened.......driving it down the street. shifted to 5th gear. the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. i forcefully pulled it back up with my foot. started to grind in high RPM. slowed down and down shifted to 2nd gear and began to climb through the gears again to see if it would continue to grind in high rpm and it did. i stopped. when i put it in first my clutch pedal stuck again. alot of grinding occured and i attempted to put it in neutral and it wouldn't move. it stalls with alot of racket. i pull it out of first and push it to a parking spot. now towed to my house it sits waiting for me to get enough money and answers to questions so that it may get fixed.
The clutch falling to the floor and grinding is the master and/or slave bad. Possibly the line between them.

It has nothing to do with your motor, or how the car is or is not running.

The reason that you aren't getting a lot of good replies is because you haven't even narrowed down your issues yet. You have multiple problems, that are unrelated other than in the fact that they are typical of an unmaintained and abused car.

I hate to see that you have $2500 in it. Its not even worth $1000. If you really want to do something with it, other than part it, you need to forget about paint and interiors until you can make it run properly. The fact that the master and/or slave failed as you started driving it indicates that it's been sitting forever and likely needs every last piece of rubber replaced.

Were you driving it around without a timing belt? Does it have one on it now? Are you sure you have the cam and balance shafts timed properly? If so, it's time to do a compression test.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:35 PM
pwnmastap
Racer

all belts are on besides the balance shaft belt. u can ask costas he has seen the engine many times. the engine looks fine. now i agree with you it probably sat for awhile and i had a gut feeling something was up with my master and slave cylinder.

i already apologized earlier for being vague and un-specific. plz no more comments. and i am only talking about interiors and paint to give me something to do till i have to money saved. if you read the post i said i was planning for the FUTURE. not actually going to do it now.

surprisingly as rubber is concerned. everything is good. no leaks, all hoses and wires under the hood are flexible no cracks or fraying. he said he put a new clutch in(i dont trust him so im not sure if its rubber or spring)

a compression test will be done as soon as i can have it actually running.
i and others have looked over this car and cant find a reason for it not to run fine after these problems are cleared up.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:57 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

a compression test will be done as soon as i can have it actually running.
i and others have looked over this car and cant find a reason for it not to run fine after these problems are cleared up.
I think you're missing some key understanding here - the compression test is done to find out if the car isn't running because it has low or no compression. That is part of the diagnostics to see why it isn't running.

OK, so the balance shafts aren't turning. No big deal short term. Have you checked the cam timing?

The problem with a car that has sat for so long is that things start to fall apart once it starts getting used again. You can end up chasing problem after problem, possibly having multiple points of failure each time the car misbehaves. While I and plenty of other people on here will likely be happy to continue to help you, you may not be equipped to deal with this without some hands on help. Also, if you don't know what something is or why it was suggested (like a compression test) ASK. It was assumed you knew what that was for - none of us know what you do and don't know. Most people in the position of voluntarily putting a car back together are typically a bit more experienced with basic troubleshooting.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:09 AM
pwnmastap
Racer

thanx sorry. i was not fully informed on how to do it. i wasnt sure if the car needed to be running or not and thanx again for the information. well id like to not crank it as much as possible due to a grinding coming from the clutch area.

i plan on getting those belts on tomorrow if the good weather holds up and then move to align the gears then crank my engine and check the flywheel for missing teeth as it spins.

im afraid i may break something if i keep cranking it. i need to try and start the car to do a compression test correct?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:58 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

im afraid i may break something if i keep cranking it. i need to try and start the car to do a compression test correct?
Problem #2 - grinding. Missing teeth on your flywheel WILL NOT MAKE IT GRIND.

Turn over the motor to confirm it is still grinding. Remove the starter. See that it is no longer grinding. If it is still grinding, you' have speed/ref sensors that dropped in there. If not, you're likely pulling the clutch.

Missing teeth on the flywheel has absolutely, positively nothing to do with this. It can't. The LACK of material on a surface doesn't make it grind.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:00 AM
pwnmastap
Racer

ok il pull the starter and see if it grinds
Old 03-30-2009, 02:18 PM
pwnmastap
Racer

no grinding....good?

Quick Reply: grinding noise when i manual crank......