Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearing removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing removal

I'm sure it's been discussed here, but it'll be impossible to find without a useful search utility.

Anyways, how do you guys suggest removing the outer bearing races from the hub? I've tried everything I have at my disposal from a flat-head screwdriver & hammer to a gear puller. The hammer did effectivly nothing. The gear puller isn't working right without a center shaft to pry off of (note: a 3/4" wrench is NOT strong enough to 'span the gap' and give the puller something to pry from). I tried a pilot bearing puller from the local advanced auto, but it doesn't grab the bearing race strong enough.

I know I can use the hot/cold trick to install the new ones, but I imagine any heat won't help remove the old ones much due to the heat transfer.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:16 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scootin159
I'm sure it's been discussed here, but it'll be impossible to find without a useful search utility.

Anyways, how do you guys suggest removing the outer bearing races from the hub? I've tried everything I have at my disposal from a flat-head screwdriver & hammer to a gear puller. The hammer did effectivly nothing. The gear puller isn't working right without a center shaft to pry off of (note: a 3/4" wrench is NOT strong enough to 'span the gap' and give the puller something to pry from). I tried a pilot bearing puller from the local advanced auto, but it doesn't grab the bearing race strong enough.

I know I can use the hot/cold trick to install the new ones, but I imagine any heat won't help remove the old ones much due to the heat transfer.
Try asking a man to hit a center punch with a hammer for you, I have done both my cars bearing races using this method substituting myself for the real man...... Try a bigger hammer...
Old 03-18-2009, 12:57 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

I'll try the hammer a bit more, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious before I wasted a bunch of time on the hammer.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:29 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you look the center of the hub-between the races- should have a groove on each side. If you use a nice round punch in these grooves- i used an old clutch fork pin- and work side to side w/ a big hammer on the ground you can walk it out- use the old race to help "press" the new ones in.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:39 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Funny to see this as my front hubs are on the bench right now. I seriously hammered on that frickin race for an hour side to side and I have moved the thing maybe 1mm. I still have a ways to go to get it off and I just don't seem to be making much progress. Then again, my monstrous biceps might just not be man enough to do it right

It's sad when you look at the Racer's Edge hubs and can actually beging to justify the expense as it would avoid me having to do this job.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:39 AM
heavy fuel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're talking about the rear wheel bearing with the aluminum hub, the heating method worked great for me. Since the aluminum expands due to heat more than the steel, the fit becomes looser when heated. i was able to heat with a propane torch and after some 10 min or so the outer races were much easier to remove. YMMV, but bets are off with steel hub.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:47 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

front or rear? I'll assume you mean front. Take it to a machine shop - $20 later, you're ready to resume and nothing is fugged up. 'least that's what I do - I tried many things and gave up. I'm big on diy and saving cash but I was happy to have that nightmare out of my face.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:54 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have the right tools (as in VW specific, detailed in the FSM), they pop right out with the "pusher" using a press. Otherwise, it's the neverending "rocking race" nightmare Arash is talking about. I ended up leaving mine in on the 83. They were smooth anyway, so I just replaced the bearings.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:02 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
If you have the right tools (as in VW specific, detailed in the FSM), they pop right out with the "pusher" using a press. Otherwise, it's the neverending "rocking race" nightmare Arash is talking about. I ended up leaving mine in on the 83. They were smooth anyway, so I just replaced the bearings.
I guess I just have a lot of frustration, or experience doing this, but the hammer meathod has always worked for me (that is also how to remove the bearing races from a CH-47 helicopter wheel halves)... usually takes me 10 minutes or so for all 4 races... OH and I use a 46 ounce hammer
Old 03-18-2009, 11:39 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Go get a long round punch with a flat end. A screwdriver isn't going to cut it. Couple HARD hits, and out they come. Just make sure not to dig into the walls of the hubs as you push it out.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:24 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
(that is also how to remove the bearing races from a CH-47 helicopter wheel halves)
I think your success at this is definitely due to experience
Old 03-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Go get a long round punch with a flat end. A screwdriver isn't going to cut it. Couple HARD hits, and out they come. Just make sure not to dig into the walls of the hubs as you push it out.
I'm going to try this tonight...
Old 03-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Smoker324
Rennlist Member

PorscheDoc, as usual, is correct.

I used a steel punch with a narrow round and flat tip and a regular ball peen hammer. Whacked it around the circumference of the bearing. They came out. Try to push it out straight -- I would think that pushing only 1 side out at a time would cause it to bind.

I replaced them with a similar brass punch.

-Dan C.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Funn944
Pro

+1 on Porsche Doc, flat tipped punch, BIG hammer = races out
Old 03-18-2009, 04:29 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

What happens if you ding the inside of the hub?

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing removal