Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get Porsche to pay under their replacement warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pologuy
That is an EXCELLENT point....
If you have tried speaking to the dealer, and they are not offering any remedy, you CAN approach Porsche N.A., my approach would be to put an attorney on retainer, and ask him to send a letter to BOTH the Dealer that did the work (addressed to the general manager, and the owner and the same letter to Porsche N.A., corporate HQ Customer Service)..

Be aware it most likely will not be quick, nor easy, and chances are the attorney will not be cheap, but if they are at fault the cost of the attorney will be recoverable as well as the cost of a replacement engine and other reasonable expenses... Don't let them screw you, but also don't expect them to fix something that isn't their fault...

I would set up an appointment with an attorney and talk to them, if they think you have a case they will start working to get it made right... AND remember that just because the first attorney says "No Thanks" you can always ask a second one, find one that fells right for you and your instance and go from there...

A happy customer does nothing for business, because they don't tell anyone about their experience, but an unhappy customer can kill your business, they tell everyone... Be prepared for a long fight, but make sure they fix their mistake...
Old 03-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to wait for the actual cause of failure before giving any opinions.
"the entire engine is ruined" is not the cause of the failure, nor is it in assessment of the damage by anybody even remotely qualified to make this judgment. Let's hear what is actually damaged, how long did it run without oil pressure, why did it have no oil pressure, etc.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I am a mechanic and somebody brings a 20 year old car in and I put in an upper balance shaft, and it turns out that the oil pickup tube cracked 400 miles later and the engine lost oil pressure, is it somehow my fault? We need to know why the engine lost oil pressure for sure, but these are 20 year old cars that can lose oil pressure for many reasons. Reminds me of when I was a general mechanic and we would fix an exhaust leak on a car and the next day the car comes back because we must have broken that transmission that is now making all that noise (that they can hear now because the exhaust is quiet).
Old 03-18-2009, 02:52 PM
pologuy
Racer

Originally Posted by Jay W
So if I am a mechanic and somebody brings a 20 year old car in and I put in an upper balance shaft, and it turns out that the oil pickup tube cracked 400 miles later and the engine lost oil pressure, is it somehow my fault? We need to know why the engine lost oil pressure for sure, but these are 20 year old cars that can lose oil pressure for many reasons. Reminds me of when I was a general mechanic and we would fix an exhaust leak on a car and the next day the car comes back because we must have broken that transmission that is now making all that noise (that they can hear now because the exhaust is quiet).
Well...

Not that it is of a particular point, but this 20 year old car has 60,000 miles on it, in near mint condition, etc...

And it is my understanding that the number one reason for a cracked pickup tube is a balance shaft not being done properly...
Old 03-18-2009, 02:58 PM
krystar
Drifting

what is the state of the engine right now? did it split in half or something? or can u still confirm that the balance shafts are not in time?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pologuy
Well...

Not that it is of a particular point, but this 20 year old car has 60,000 miles on it, in near mint condition, etc...

And it is my understanding that the number one reason for a cracked pickup tube is a balance shaft not being done properly...
60,000 miles, near mint, all irrelevant
Come back with the cause of failure and actual damage and somebody might be able to help you.

Oil pickup tubes crack for all sorts of reasons, is that what happened on your engine? When they crack it is very rare that a running engine will lose oil pressure, typically you will have trouble making oil pressure when it first starts, but that is the only real side effect unless it falls off altogether.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

This happened a year and a half ago? (Yeah - search is working again)
You had the bearings replaced, saw low oil pressure, and continued to drive the car. You should have taken it right back to the shop or taken it to another shop.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-oil-pump.html
Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 PM
tinklybear
Advanced

Pologuy, it seems like you a) still don't actually know what went wrong or b) Know but don't want to admit it because it will hurt this case.

You, pologuy, are lucky people here are nice and still trying to help you even as you are being extremely difficult to work with. I assure you an attorney would not act in the same manner. Start answering some of the questions people have asked or accept the responsibility and move on.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:08 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tinklybear
Pologuy, it seems like you a) still don't actually know what went wrong or b) Know but don't want to admit it because it will hurt this case.

You, pologuy, are lucky people here are nice and still trying to help you even as you are being extremely difficult to work with. I assure you an attorney would not act in the same manner. Start answering some of the questions people have asked or accept the responsibility and move on.
Pologuy should probably know that Tinklybear a) painted his car with a rustoleum and a roller, and b) _then_ discovered that he'd been driving it around since he bought it with only 3 quarts of oil in it.

So if I was being put straight by someone who paints their car with a roller _before_ checking the dipstick (or knowing how to read one), well...
Old 03-19-2009, 02:31 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

WELL..... what where you doing or should I say how were you driving in those 400 miles you could have been raising complete hell with it then it just went south.

So how was your style of driving for those 400 miles???????
Old 03-19-2009, 02:32 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Oh yeah can I see a bigger picture of the roller painted 944 with half the amount of oil that it actually should have in it plz??
Old 03-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Pologuy should probably know that Tinklybear a) painted his car with a rustoleum and a roller, and b) _then_ discovered that he'd been driving it around since he bought it with only 3 quarts of oil in it.

So if I was being put straight by someone who paints their car with a roller _before_ checking the dipstick (or knowing how to read one), well...
Just because Tinklybear is a nutter doesn't mean he doesn't have a valiid point in this case.

And, here you go Costas: Linky for Roller Paint Car
Old 03-19-2009, 02:58 AM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

I'm confused, it would be alot of help to everyone if you could scan a copy of the invoice and post it up. From what I gathered from previous threads and this one is:

1. You apparently took it to one shop who put in an a/c compressor but did not fill it. (no time frame from one shop to the other)
2. You then went to the Porsche shop and and they
a: Ran the a/c dry and burned up the compressor
b: Replaced three B/S bearings
c: charged over double the usual labor
- anything else while it was in there?

3. You noticed the low oil 2 days(one thread) OR 2weeks/ 400 miles (this thread) after you picked up he car.
4. The engine was "ruined".

Let's start with...

1. Post the invoice so we can see exactly what was done since you seem a little unsure. It may be 16 hours labor for ALL of your services performed.

2. please list what the 3rd shop said as to what damage there was.

3. Did you continue to drive the car with the oil light on?

I'm sure everyone will be willing to help you out but they/we need a tad more info to do so. All of your threads have been very vague on information.

Thanks and good luck!
Old 03-19-2009, 03:26 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

WOW Erzengal thanks for the link that was a thing and a half to read I do my own painting and could do it the proper way for just a few more dollars but I think tinks car looks pretty good but an "in person " would be a better judge...
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 AM
tinklybear
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark944na86

Yes, I painted my car with a roller, it was two different colors of blue when I bought it, and I am happier with my new paint job than my old one.t (thanks for know everything about me though) About the oil level, I naively thought these cars displayed differently (than the only other car I have had, a 97 camry) and the car seemed to be running fine so I was oblivious. I was actually so inept that I stripped the oil pan drain bolt to the point it had to be removed with a bolt extractor because I was turning it the wrong way.
before:
after

Even though I painted my car in a unique way and F-d up the oil, I don't see how that affects my argument against pologuy, when I was arguing not against his knowledge of cars, but against his ability/desire to communicate well..

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
WOW Erzengal thanks for the link that was a thing and a half to read I do my own painting and could do it the proper way for just a few more dollars but I think tinks car looks pretty good but an "in person " would be a better judge...
Many of the pictures that I had I lost because flickr cancelled my premium account. I am interested in doing it again. I drove it too soon afte painting so there is an appreciable amount of road grime permanently baked into the paint. I would love to learn the spray way to do it too, especially if the price is similar. This time I would like to completely strip the interior and take out the engine to I can get the interior and engine bay done too. Do you have a link to the paint/technique/equipment you used?

Quick Reply: How do I get Porsche to pay under their replacement warranty?