Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get Porsche to pay under their replacement warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:57 PM
pologuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get Porsche to pay under their replacement warranty?

Hi,

Does anyone know how I go about getting Porsche to pay to have done what one of their authorized Porsche dealers wrecked?

Here is what it says in the warranty book...

Parts supplied by Porsche Cars N.A. and purchased from and installed
by an authorized Porsche automobile dealer at time of purchase are
covered for 2 years, unlimited mileage from the date installed.

Porsche Cars N.A. will repair or replace using new or remanufactured
parts distributed by Porsche Cars N.A., at its sole option, any part covered
under this warranty that is defective in material or workmanship under
normal use. Parts that were sold and installed by an authorized Porsche
automobile dealer will be repaired or replaced without charge either for
parts or labor. If installed by anyone else, the cost of the replacement
parts or accessories will be borne by Porsche Cars N.A., (even in the
case of emergency repair), but labor charges will be your responsibility.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um... care to share a few more details?
Old 03-17-2009, 10:24 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pologuy
Hi,

Does anyone know how I go about getting Porsche to pay to have done what one of their authorized Porsche dealers wrecked?

Here is what it says in the warranty book...

Parts supplied by Porsche Cars N.A. and purchased from and installed
by an authorized Porsche automobile dealer at time of purchase are
covered for 2 years, unlimited mileage from the date installed.

Porsche Cars N.A. will repair or replace using new or remanufactured
parts distributed by Porsche Cars N.A., at its sole option, any part covered
under this warranty that is defective in material or workmanship under
normal use. Parts that were sold and installed by an authorized Porsche
automobile dealer will be repaired or replaced without charge either for
parts or labor. If installed by anyone else, the cost of the replacement
parts or accessories will be borne by Porsche Cars N.A., (even in the
case of emergency repair), but labor charges will be your responsibility.
You are likely to get the same answers now as you did in August when you asked the same question, if you elaborate on your problem, more people might be likely to help...

Or you could ask a lawyer to interpret the warranty, and if they think you are right pay them to send a letter to Porsche Cars N.A. discussing your position...
Old 03-18-2009, 12:06 AM
pologuy
Racer

Alright, well, I am trying to make sense out of all of this...

LONG story short...

Brought car into authorized Porsche dealer/service center because of a light "tinging" noise under the hood.

Was told that it was a belt or something hitting - that it was NOT an engine problem.

Got a call the next day saying that it was an engine problem - that the upper balance shaft bearings needed to be replaced.

They replaced the upper balance shaft bearings...

Less than 2 weeks and less than 400 miles later, engine oil light comes on.

I immediately have the car towed to a different service center.

The entire engine is now ruined.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:08 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Alright, well, I am trying to make sense out of all of this...

LONG story short...

Brought car into authorized Porsche dealer/service center because of a light "tinging" noise under the hood.

Was told that it was a belt or something hitting - that it was NOT an engine problem.

Got a call the next day saying that it was an engine problem - that the upper balance shaft bearings needed to be replaced.

They replaced the upper balance shaft bearings...

I immediately have the car towed to a different service center.

The entire engine is now ruined.

Did you take the car back to the dealer to diagnose the point of failure?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:12 AM
pologuy
Racer

Yup, and even though they agreed that the engine was ruined - it was not due to anything that they did, of course....

Never came up with a point of failure ... our course...

They also charged me 16 hours for the upper balance shaft, which is the book time for doing both of the balance shafts...
Old 03-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Alright, the way I read it - which isn't what you want to hear is this: The warranty covers the parts the dealer installed, not any existing parts. So you'll have to prove the installation of the balance shaft bearings caused your problem, and not their inaction of not replacing another part which may have failed. What did the second shop say failed? If a rod bearing went out, they didn't touch the rod bearings, so no coverage. If the balance shaft bearings were improperly installed, which caused low oil pressure, and thus a spun rod or main bearing, possibly, but you should have noticed the low oil pressure.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Porsche's Warranty will cover Parts and Labor (If installed by a Porsche Dealer) (Parts only if installed elsewhere) on the items that have been replaced. Thus, if the Bearings went out, they would replace the bearings again under Warranty.

As to a entire motor failure. That is completely different. If you can prove that something the Dealer did caused your engine to fail, then the Dealer is at Fault, not Porsche Cars. If something else failed on the car, then you are in need of a new engine from your own pocket. The diagnosis should be confirmed by the Dealer. Either way, your issue is with the Dealer themselves.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:20 AM
pologuy
Racer

The other shop stated "what ever work [the other dealer] did was a complete and utter waste of time and money."

I guess there was no oil going to the upper balance shaft - does that sound possible?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:24 AM
pologuy
Racer

Originally Posted by Erzengal
Porsche's Warranty will cover Parts and Labor (If installed by a Porsche Dealer) (Parts only if installed elsewhere) on the items that have been replaced. Thus, if the Bearings went out, they would replace the bearings again under Warranty.

As to a entire motor failure. That is completely different. If you can prove that something the Dealer did caused your engine to fail, then the Dealer is at Fault, not Porsche Cars. If something else failed on the car, then you are in need of a new engine from your own pocket. The diagnosis should be confirmed by the Dealer. Either way, your issue is with the Dealer themselves.
Unless the bearings from Porsche were defective and caused the engine to be ruined?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:40 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The other shop stated "what ever work [the other dealer] did was a complete and utter waste of time and money."

I guess there was no oil going to the upper balance shaft - does that sound possible?
To tell the truth if this was the problem, i highly doubt you need a whole new engine.

There is a huge gap in the story from "having it towed" to "the entire engine is ruined".

How long was it without oil pressure?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:22 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There may be other remedies apart from the warranty to pursue. I'd certainly try to talk to Porsche NA, and see what they think -- even if it falls outside the scope of the warranty, they may be willing to try get the the dealer to be a little more concilatory. There's also consumer protection rights and legislation -- usually varies by state, but worth finding out what the laws cover. Then, there are various consumer advocacy groups that may give advice etc. Finally, you can resort to a lawyer, of course -- let's hope his/her expertise and advice is a little more accurate than the mechanic who diagnosed your car.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, this strikes me as the strongest leg of your claim against the dealer -- regardless of the condition and problems the car had when it went into their workshop, it sounds like it wasn't in a proprer condition to drive when it left the workshop. A car should drive for more than 400 miles without catastrophic engine failure after a diagnosis and engine repairs.

Using this line of argument, you don't have to prove they replaced the thing that failed -- you only have to demonstrate that they failed (perhaps negligently) in their duty of care by delivering the vehicle in a state unfit to drive.

Civil cases are decided on the balance of evidence, rather than the much stricter "beyond reasonable doubt" used in criminal cases. Therefore, a judge will only have to agree that it is more likely than not that they stuffed up (or not), either by commission or omission.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:02 AM
pologuy
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
FWIW, this strikes me as the strongest leg of your claim against the dealer -- regardless of the condition and problems the car had when it went into their workshop, it sounds like it wasn't in a proprer condition to drive when it left the workshop. A car should drive for more than 400 miles without catastrophic engine failure after a diagnosis and engine repairs.

Using this line of argument, you don't have to prove they replaced the thing that failed -- you only have to demonstrate that they failed (perhaps negligently) in their duty of care by delivering the vehicle in a state unfit to drive.
That is an EXCELLENT point....
Old 03-18-2009, 05:42 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what do you mean the entire engine is ruined? did the engine seize, or spin a bearing, rod failure?

you mentioned the oil light came on. did you continue driving it with the oil light on or pull over and get it towed?

find out why you lost oil pressure. possible crank bolt came loose? or oprv stuck open.

I lost oil pressure to zero and had my car idling for 5 minutes and it still seems fine. if you suddenly lost oil pressure at speed under load with rpms up then I guess it might have instantly seized or grenaded?

you paid 16 hours labour at a porsche dealer to replace your balance shaft bearings? that's insane.

Quick Reply: How do I get Porsche to pay under their replacement warranty?