Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those tiny spring pins that hold the brake caliper rods in.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those tiny spring pins that hold the brake caliper rods in.

Is there ANY other source for them other than paying for a ridiculously expensive full set of caliper hardware?

Has anyone noticed that you can buy a fully rebuilt caliper with the hardware included for less than the cost of the hardware kit alone?

McMaster-Carr has them as small as 0.030". Does anyone know what size would work? I could pay $8.00, use eight and distribute 92 of them to the rest of you!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#pins/=11odt0
Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know exactly where to get that cotter pin, but I found the same thing when I looked a year or so ago. I ended up buying two rebuilt calipers from Paragon for $50/each with no core charge. I also thought the pricing compared to just the hardware kit was crazy.

I can hit one with the micrometer when I get home to measure it.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by schwank
I don't know exactly where to get that cotter pin, but I found the same thing when I looked a year or so ago. I ended up buying two rebuilt calipers from Paragon for $50/each with no core charge. I also thought the pricing compared to just the hardware kit was crazy.

I can hit one with the micrometer when I get home to measure it.
Thanks! Let me know. I'll buy 100 and send you a lifetime supply!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 AM
GaryM05
Advanced

Could you go to the corner Ace hardware store (or local equivalent) and find something comparable? Typically things like that run for about 30 cents at a hardware store, if you're ok with running a non-OEM part.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:45 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you do drive a Porsche

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Is there ANY other source for them other than paying for a ridiculously expensive full set of caliper hardware?

Has anyone noticed that you can buy a fully rebuilt caliper with the hardware included for less than the cost of the hardware kit alone?

McMaster-Carr has them as small as 0.030". Does anyone know what size would work? I could pay $8.00, use eight and distribute 92 of them to the rest of you!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#pins/=11odt0
Old 03-18-2009, 07:37 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Psh, I'd just get the best thing I could find at a hardware store. I'd probably buy narrow steel stock and bent it, or even a hefty coat hanger. You could probably even use a couple of key rings, one on each rod!

What does the dealer charge for it? I mean it can't be more than $5, sure that's ridiculous but even steel stock will be at least $2.

Or..... get it at a junkyard for pennies!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:47 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you post the McMaster part number? The link you provided doesn't take you to the actual item.

Personally, I'd probably use a stainless steel cotter key of the appropriate size.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Psh, I'd just get the best thing I could find at a hardware store. I'd probably buy narrow steel stock and bent it, or even a hefty coat hanger. You could probably even use a couple of key rings, one on each rod!

What does the dealer charge for it? I mean it can't be more than $5, sure that's ridiculous but even steel stock will be at least $2.

Or..... get it at a junkyard for pennies!
Have you seen these things? I've checked several hardware stores and their smallest version is several times the size required. I also want to go with stainless steel. Lower quality stuff would rust and fall off, letting your pin slide out, maybe puking your brake pads onto the street, and so on.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by CurtP
Can you post the McMaster part number? The link you provided doesn't take you to the actual item.

Personally, I'd probably use a stainless steel cotter key of the appropriate size.
Part Number: 92391A014 $7.65 per Pack of 100
Material Type
Stainless Steel

Finish
Plain

Stainless Steel Type
18-8 Stainless Steel

Pin Type
Cotter Pins and Rings

Cotter Pin and Retaining Ring Type
Hairpin Cotter Pin

System of Measurement
Inch

Overall Length
19/32"

Eye Diameter (A)
3/16"

Fits Shaft Diameter
1/8"

Wire Diameter
.030"

Specifications Met
Not Rated
Old 03-18-2009, 12:53 PM
GaryM05
Advanced

I believe that my corner Ace hardware store carries stainless steel pins that would work for this. They are not a one-piece solution, like what comes on the car from the factory, but I don’t see any reason why we couldn’t use a separate pin for each sliding rod (the Brembo calipers on my 350Z use this setup, and it seems to work fine.)

I’ll be buying some of these to replace the factory multi-coil clip on my race car in a few weeks (assuming I can find ones of the proper size), and I’d be happy to buy more for anyone here who wants them, and ship them for the cost of shipping and the part cost (which I really think is something like 30 cents each.)

I’ll post pictures once I’ve confirmed that I can find ones that will work, in case there’s any interest from anyone who cannot find the part locally.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:42 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Have you seen these things? I've checked several hardware stores and their smallest version is several times the size required. I also want to go with stainless steel. Lower quality stuff would rust and fall off, letting your pin slide out, maybe puking your brake pads onto the street, and so on.

Like the factory part? I broke a couple. 20+ years in service and some heat cycles on the track did them in. For the ones that broke, I replaced it with a cotter pin and twisted it on in place. It's not going anywhere. If you have that much lateral force on the big pins, you have other problems. I might have a spare for my old car....hit me up next time I'm at the track, it's in the tool box.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:19 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

you could go to a hobby site like tower hobbies and get the hood pins used for RC car bodies.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:23 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

one of mine snapped when my wheel bearings went

I actually made it home fine

I went to Lowe's and found a bolt, a nut, and a couple of washers, and tightened it up - not too tight, just enough so its against the caliper

it works, and held up a couple of Autocross runs just fine, but its funny because I have this "bolt" thats really shiny back there, LOL

I don't remember exact size, but this is definetly the cheapest way out (it was like $2 total)

you could try and see if someone has a used one for sale, maybe

I was thinking of buying that kit, I wonder if it includes both sides or not?

Quick Reply: Those tiny spring pins that hold the brake caliper rods in.