Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone do their own wheel alignments?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 03:04 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone do their own wheel alignments?

Are there tools suitable for DIY wheel alignment? I'm getting a bit leery of the "pros" -- one shop just told me that caster isn't adjustable on the 944! Couldn't be told.

Experiences like this make me think "how can I do this job myself?"

So: Any advice?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:38 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Are there tools suitable for DIY wheel alignment? I'm getting a bit leery of the "pros" -- one shop just told me that caster isn't adjustable on the 944! Couldn't be told.

Experiences like this make me think "how can I do this job myself?"

So: Any advice?
I have been thinking about picking up this longacre gauge from Paragon...

http://www.paragon-products.com/Digi...p/lr_78295.htm

Adapters can be added to allow for easy toe measurement and adjustment...I too have had bad experiences with alignment shops... When I get everything back together on my 951 I am trying another local shop, and considering taking them my factory service manual and all teh special tools to properly align the car.... We will see...
Old 03-13-2009, 10:40 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I do all my own alignments... Does this count for DIY???
Name:  DSC02014.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  94.6 KB

And John, i know its a bit of a hike, but i have done plenty of alignments on this series all the way through the new cars, If you cant find anyone out there i would be more than happy to help you out.
Mark
Old 03-13-2009, 10:59 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by marky522
Attachment 343521

And John, i know its a bit of a hike, but i have done plenty of alignments on this series all the way through the new cars, If you cant find anyone out there i would be more than happy to help you out.
Mark
is is a bit of a hike when I am in the process of installing new caster monoball blocks, new monoball front bushings, new tie rod ends, new monoball strut mounts, new ball joints, new struts....

I am betting it wouldn't be comfortable to drive to Cary, even though it isn't all that far.. I am giving one more local shop a try, and if they do a good job I might stick with them, or I will be buying my own stuff, making some toe plates and start doing it myself, thanks for the offer though
Old 03-13-2009, 11:42 AM
krystar
Drifting

quoting myself from another thread

Originally Posted by krystar
the alignment in a few words:

camber. drop a plumbline close to the wheel. measure the distance from top of the wheel lip to plumbline. measure distance from bottom of the wheel to plumbline. take the difference divided by the diameter of the wheel, inverse tangent that, and you have your camber angle. it's better to use a metric ruler since the units are more precise.

the quick and simple way i've done zero rear toe is to simply do line of sight. position yourself at the middle height of the rear tire and look forward at the front tire. it's important to do the middle of the tire because the tire deforms at ground level. at the very edge where the front of the rear tire and the back of the rear tire line up, you should be able to see the same front and back of the front tire. if your rear toe is OUT, then you won't be able to see the front tire at all. if your rear toe is IN, then you'll be looking at the tread of the front tire. if your rear toe is zero AND the your front is also zero, then you should be seeing the 4 edges of tire, front and rear of the rear tire, and front and rear of the front tire. it helps to mark the tires with white chalk or some other visible color. assuming your front toe isn't actually zero, you will have to turn the steering wheel so the front tire edges line up to the rear tire edges.

now front toe. same idea as rear toe, just looking from front instead of rear. turn the steering wheel until it's centered. position yourself in front of the front tire and look edgeward at the rear tire. adjust the tie rod until the u can see all 4 edges lined up. repeat the process on the other front tire. now you have zero toe in front.

the front toe is simple to do. but the rear toe is PITA cause unless you have magical hands or 4 wheel drive-on lift, you have to remove the wheel to get to the toe adjustment. which means jack up, remove wheel, adjustment, reinstall wheel, jack down, take measurement, repeat lather rinse until complete.
to which was replied
Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
The plumb line camber trick assumes that you have a level floor (which you may have). It's actually easier (IMHO) to use a carpenter's square held against the wheel, and measure the gap between the top lip of the wheel and the vertical, and the bottom lip of the wheel and the vertical, and use the wheel diameter (between the two points) to calculate the angle. It's trigonometry.

In the end, it won't be perfect, but good enough to get you on the road. I did camber plates and used the carpenter's square method targeting -3 degrees. A few months later, I had it professionally aligned and found out that I was at -2.8 and -3.0. Pretty close. I'm now at -2.7 on both sides.

Eccentric bolts don't have a lot of subtlety, and I think you need to yank the wheel to move it(?). It'll probably be much harder to set that with camber plates.
the method is good enough to get you straight. custom alignments you'll need to do some more trig to get the correct angles
Old 03-13-2009, 11:47 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I use a SPC Performance 91000 caster/camber gauge and wax paper.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:57 AM
paulmezz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I borrowed a neat tool from a soloII friend once for doing toe. It was basically a piece of electrical conduit / pipe with an arm on each end ending in a sharp point. Think of a big bracket " [ " as wide as the car with arms that are long enough to reach the center point of the tire

-Put a piece of tape on the wheel across the front tread where the sharp point touches the tires.
-Poke the sharp point right through the tape so there is no doubt where the point is.
-Remove the tool and roll the car forward so the tape is now on the back of the tire at the same height
-put the tool back and see how far off the pins are from the holes. That distance is what you need to fix.
-adjust toe and don't forget to move the car a bunch to make sure the suspension is settled etc
-wash-rinse-repeat until front and rear measure is the same.

Now that just aims for zero degrees. With some of that fancy math stuff you can figure out any measure you want
Old 03-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Do a youtube search for the Fastrax in Curt's picture. It looks easy to use.

Curt, how does the wax paper work? I've been thinking about that model, but unsure what to use for turnplates.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:23 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Van
Do a youtube search for the Fastrax in Curt's picture. It looks easy to use.

Curt, how does the wax paper work? I've been thinking about that model, but unsure what to use for turnplates.
Wax Paper on tile floor...
Old 03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Wax Paper on tile floor...
LOL. I mean, how WELL does it work!

I've also heard of using table salt between a stack of vinyl floor tiles.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:47 PM
krystar
Drifting

why not just put a bit of lithium grease between ceramic tiles? heh
Old 03-13-2009, 12:50 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Van

We used to use wax paper to move cars in and out of the showroom at the dealership I worked at years ago, much easier than removing the tire marks from the floor, makes it very easy to turn the wheels...
Old 03-13-2009, 01:12 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by marky522
Attachment 343521

Mark
is this at your house ??
Old 03-13-2009, 01:26 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

I do home alignments all the time, including on the racecar - only trust myself to get it right, these days... I use a bubble-style camber gauge and a set of Longacre toe plates (style with two tape measures). Works great. Level floor sure helps, and repeatibility is where it's at. Practice helps; you get faster with experience.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:12 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Van

LOL - I knew what you meant. It works well if your surface area is smooth, like in the garage. If the concrete is rough, like what's out on my driveway, then it doesn't work - it just shreds the wax paper. The way around it is to put down a piece of tile, then put the wax paper on top of it. Sand or an absorbent (kitty litter) will work too, but not exceptionally well.

I've been thinking about getting two sets of the cheap turnplates from Harbor Freight, but even with those, it doesn't fix a problem of an uneven surface.

Quick Reply: Anyone do their own wheel alignments?