Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want a V8

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 12:42 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Matt, if I'd ever mod a 944 to the full extreme, it would definitely be a 928 conversion, possibly twin turboed..
You go for it and let me know how it turns out, at least it'd still be all Porsche..!

Uhhhm, take some detailed notes on that exhaust setup for the 32 valve twin turbo for would ya..?

Cheers
Old 08-09-2020, 06:05 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt O.
Who dug this post up?
*Filling in for Streck-fu.... 18 years man. 18 years.

Originally Posted by Matt O.
This thread really begs the question that I've seen on here countless times. What makes it a Porsche? The engine? Badge? What?

Think of it this way. If you were to receive a heart transplant because yours didn't work anymore, would you no longer be YOU? Would you be someone else in your body, with your hands, feet, etc.? But still that other person? No. You still have your soul. And in my mind saving a car destined for the junkyard or parts bin by replacing the engine with Audi, VW, LT1, Porsche - WHATEVER - doesn't change that it is a Porsche.
Great analogy! As for the "i want a V8 thing....." Having a (after 5 years) well sorted engine V8 is a fantastic upgrade for the 968. Seeing what they're doing with the VAG I5 superthread on the 944T forum is also amazing. If a 2nd 968 could ever be in my future, i might be in line for an I5 pushing ~400whp

i prefer a V8 engine having less "street rod" characteristics--and i think i've achieved it with the short stroke/over bore. Surprised as i am to be saying it: if i was able to do the V8 swap over again, i might be as happy with something like a short stroke LS3 engine in the 327 range. The 388 is almost at the point of overkill for the car.

Originally Posted by 944Phil
I have a manga flow on the LR 3" and it's pretty loud. I don't know that I would go any louder for fear of getting a ticket.
Getting a large resonator up there will help make it a lot quieter.
The larger the better.

I'm running a 3 1/2 exhaust w/ 2 resonators in series in front of a big Magnaflow. It's a pretty quiet setup (now). But the V8 + huge headers is still preeminent, and the resonators are very minimal around the wide inner pipe. i've reached a point where i'd like to get things quieter.

Recently i discovered these big triangle resonators that should take some of the edge off the V8 (as i desire an even quieter car). They'll fit perfectly in the triangular exhaust tunnel on the 968s. i'm not sure what or late 944s have the triangular tunnel section.

If you want the highest sound deadening possible, while keeping 100% open pipe--
These resonators will probably be ideal in place of highly restrictive stock oem exhausts, and still tame the loud I4's.

I'm sure it'll be even quieter for 2.5/3.0 Turbo's running the full muffler
Does the 944T have the triangular tunnel section like the 968?
*see TR Series Triangle at the bottom of the page.
https://cortekexhaust.com/pages/mufflers

After 30+ years, i'm sure most 944T exhausts are off the cars. But most 968s are still running the oem. In addition to the 968's exhaust being quite heavy (in order to keep the n/a 3.0s w/ worn down motor mounts in check), the resonator is also far from ideal;

Originally Posted by H.F.B.

Opened 968 resonator

The engine has to press the exhaust gas through the perforated tube and those two small oval holes.

968 resonator

Last edited by odurandina; 08-09-2020 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: I want a V8