Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the true cost of those $1500 944s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009 | 06:10 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnyC
There are deals out there. For example here is this super clean, low mileage early 944 that has had recent timing belt and Water pump that I would sell for $2500 right now.
Wow. Why are you only charging $2500?

Shame i'm in Seattle...
Old 03-03-2009 | 07:02 PM
trailpimp33
Instructor

I would say the 6k rule is in effect.
Car (83') 1500.00
Misc. bunch of repairs 2k
new interior 1k
minor body work 500
paint cost (havent painted yet)500
misc. 500
Old 03-03-2009 | 07:03 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol omg trailpimp, yer avatar is what my car used to look like. ewww gray
Old 03-03-2009 | 07:20 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
It also depends on what level of repair you want to achieve. To fully restore one of these cars to almost "as new" condition (or even better) costs a fortune if the car has not already been heavily invested in over the years by previous owners. OTOH, if you just want it to sort of go until something expensive breaks, don't care what the neighbours think about the oil stains in your driveway, etc. then you can drive for cheap -- at least for a while.

Not with much class, though.

If you want class, it's probably cheaper to buy class up front. In any case, it's always wise to get a thorough PPI by someone who knows what to look for in these cars -- in any price range, variations in actual mechanical condition can be huge.
Well said. These cars are deceptive. Unlike many other vehicles, which can be judged as "nice" or "classy" (or not), based on make/model/year, these range all the way from "beat-up old trash heap that shallow people like because it has a Porsche badge" (badly maintained n/a) to "combination of a restored classic and an inexpensive supercar that can kick sand in the face of a late model Carrera" (pampered turbo, or deep-pockets LS engine swap).

It all depends how {money|time|expertise} you pour in. But there *is* a certain minimum baseline of money, no matter how good a wrench you are, because you're going to need parts.

As for what is, lots of people have already thrown out ballpark numbers, but it's hard to be more specific without discussing each individual car, case by case.
Old 03-03-2009 | 07:34 PM
Ecos
Advanced

6k rule sounds about right for my situation too. I bought an 87 944s for $2,500. Excluding adding boost and a complete engine rebuild, which I plan to do in the next year, it will cost me about 6k total to get me where I want to be...maybe only 5k total. That's doing all of the mechanical work myself. ( next week I'm fabbing up 3" stainless exhaust, rear wiper delete and ac delete, yay)
Old 03-03-2009 | 11:17 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

It was said at the beginning and is worth repeating at this end: get a pre-purchase inspection and know what you're getting into. If you go in eyes wide open, you'll probably be able to keep a bargain a bargain.
Old 03-03-2009 | 11:35 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I've always joked that EVERY 944 is a $6,000 car to the buyer and always will be. Anything less in the purchase price is going to be made up in repairs.

It's not too far from the truth. The starting point is the timing belt and the clutch. Those are two big ticket issues that are beyond the capabilities of most DIY'ers.

It helps to be somewhat mechanically inclined. Little stuff like brakes and fluids can cost a ton if you pay a pro to do it.
I consider myself a pretty average wrench, and have done both a clutch and TB..

Can never disagree with a recommendation of a PPI, but then I didn't get one on either of my cars, I knew what I was getting into when I was buying a PORSCHE for 3K...There has to be sacrifice somewhere...But there are always those deals... You know those once in a lifetime, cannot say no, sell a kidney from each member of your household to get enough money for deals...I just have yet to find one...
Old 03-04-2009 | 08:25 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What is the true cost of those $1500 944s?

A millllllllllllllllllllion dollars?

Last edited by tifosiman; 08-03-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2009 | 10:16 AM
Ecos
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood

Can never disagree with a recommendation of a PPI, but then I didn't get one on either of my cars, I knew what I was getting into when I was buying a PORSCHE for 3K...
Exactly.When I bought mine I expected the worst...counted on the engine and tranny blowing up within the first week. Plan on the worst and you won't get nasty surprises.

I figure even if I have to put another 10k into the car it's still only at the cost of a low-end new car and it would be a Porsche in fairly decent condition.
Old 03-04-2009 | 11:30 AM
trailpimp33
Instructor

In the end what do you want?
A 6k Honda Accord/Toyota Corolla, that yeah will probably still run after a nuclear holocost, but you have not an ounce of curb appeal.
or
What in the end may (likely) cost you more in both time, $$, and knuckle skin but will reward you not only in the driving fun factor of taking the twisty long way home (or entering and exiting on ramps at high speed for those not blessed with good mountain roads)but also with the gaze of envy from other drivers in minivans, and lesser autos who wish THEY had a Porsche. ( doesn't hurt that the ladies seem to like just the mere mention of such a car, well until they see mine. HA HA)
Oh yeah, and for those that may say that other new "economy" cars may have more power, while it may be true you just can't beat the feel of our 944 or that sweet exhaust note that we get once the foot drops.
Old 03-04-2009 | 11:36 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

So from what I can read in these several posts here, is that many here actually did buy the car because of the badge on the hood. Which seems to be a totally different sentiment than what was being spouted in the whole "I painted my 944 with a paint roller" thread. Not hatin', just statin'.
Old 03-04-2009 | 12:44 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tifosiman
So from what I can read in these several posts here, is that many here actually did buy the car because of the badge on the hood. Which seems to be a totally different sentiment than what was being spouted in the whole "I painted my 944 with a paint roller" thread. Not hatin', just statin'.
Actually, I have come to the conclusion that there are 3 camps on here..

Purists, "I drive a Porsche because it is a Porsche, and I spend more on Maintenance than you do on Rent" They would drop 8K+ for a paint job in a second.

Users, "I drive the F out of my car, fix it as economically (read cheaply) as possible and post to rennlist for help when I blow it up so I can get parts for next to nothing, granted half the parts should be sent to the scrap yard years ago, but they are still better than what was on my car to begin with...and Hey babe, I drive a Porsche" They Roller paint because they have to more than they want to.

Entusiasts, "I drive my P-Car because it out performs most other cars I see on a daily basis, Buy OEM and Tasteful aftermarket parts, do all my own work because I don't trust anyone else to work on it, and keep it in good condition because I like seeing the look on peoples faces when I tell them how old it is" They either paint their own car in a makeshift garage paint booth, or take it to the middle of the road paint shop for a decent job, that they can wait for it to cure, wet sand, buff and end up with a beautiful painted classic car....

Just my 2C...
Old 03-04-2009 | 01:38 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 518 Posts

Enthusiasts, "I drive my P-Car because it out performs most other cars I see on a daily basis, Buy OEM and Tasteful aftermarket parts, do all my own work because I don't trust anyone else to work on it, and keep it in good condition because I like seeing the look on peoples faces when I tell them how old it is" They either paint their own car in a makeshift garage paint booth, or take it to the middle of the road paint shop for a decent job, that they can wait for it to cure, wet sand, buff and end up with a beautiful painted classic car....
Old 03-04-2009 | 02:00 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

paint their own car in a makeshift garage paint booth
I resemble that remark.
Old 03-04-2009 | 03:27 PM
Ecos
Advanced

I would say I'm a 90% "enthusiast", 10% "user" hybrid.

Also a few posts ago when I said "....and it would be a Porsche..." I meant I would prefer having this car with 10k invested in it compared to buying a new Honda. Not because it is a Porsche, but because what the 944 offers in comparison. If it was styled and performed like a Civic but was considered more desirable because of the badge....then I wouldn't have a preference over it compared to the Honda. Tisn't about the Porsche name for me, its' about the overall package.

I owned an Accord, I enjoyed it, I'm having way more fun driving this car. Plus its easier on the eyes than most cars in this price range. Now if I could get an Elise for 10k... mmmm.

Quick Reply: What is the true cost of those $1500 944s?