Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eliminate electrics for sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 10:56 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Eliminate electrics for sunroof?

I'm completely fed up with this overcomplicated Rube Goldberg sunroof. Has anybody installed a manual type sunroof latch in a 944? I've heard that the pre 85 944's had a manual roof. Will it fit in a 85.5 or later car? I had mine working ok and then one of the metal tubes that the cable rides in broke. I can't open it or remove it now. I'd like to install one of those latches that flip up and hold the roof open, but if an earlier roof will fit I might be able to locate one. Any ideas?
The engineer that designed these roofs was a cruel bastard.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:32 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
The 82-85 ones were manual. I have seen a conversion done on an 85.5 to retrofit the manual sunroof, I *think* it involved the following:

a pre-85 sunroof panel complete
a pre-85 latch mechanism

Then, deletion of all of that extra stuff (motors, latches, etc). I think that the front clips are the same for both manual and electric...

Tifosiman
Old 06-11-2002, 11:37 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Well I am interested in this as well, I hate the electic system, too much can go wrong, and well who needs those extra lbs anyway.

If we can come up with a way to do this, someone please let me know.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:40 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

front clips are the same, just the omission of the prong that pushes the switch to let the motor operate. i have a champagne colored manual sunroof with no interior underneath, you'd have to install yours after you got it painted (if you need to get it painted), and the mounting hardware(which i'd have to locate, but i know i have it). the rear hardware is already installed on the sunroof, but the place that it holds onto on the car would have to fit to your car. if you're interested (sounds like you are lol) email is Uncleluuulce@hotmail.com

HTH!
-Mike
Old 06-11-2002, 02:05 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have checked out SR lids from several manual 944's & 924's- it seems like I've seen manual ones in some of the later 944's- are you SURE they didn't have any after 85.5? Anyway, when trying to get rid of some of the 19 FU**ING pounds from the highest point of the car, I was told that the 924 lids were the ones to get- they are lighter due to some of the interior pieces or something(?). The manual's that I have picked up were all DEFINATELY lighter then my electric Turbo S- maybe 3 or 4lbs. Lindsey Racing, on their website, originally removed everything from the underside of their panel, to save weight, and I BELIEVE, they bolted it back down.

The one's I've looked at all looked VERY SIMILAR to ours. The fronts are the same (as previously mentioned) but the rears would have to be changed. You would also probably need a different rear headliner- electric ones have the two little notch out's where the boxes hang down (the ones that hold the retractible arms). You might need a headliner for a manual one to be able to rotate the latches to clamp them down. Another advantage of manual- they can be raised higher than the electrics, but, they can't be raised at different heights- they are either opened all the way, or closed all the way...

BTW, Mike- is there any way you could throw your panel on a bathroom scale to see how much it weighs? I was told a long time ago that it can really remove a LOT of the weight to remove all of that trim- I've considered it, but would like to know if it's worth it- I've actually thought it would be really cool to do that and make a really thin carbon fibre piece to line it with. Please let me know about your's if you don't mind...

thanks,
Robby
Old 06-11-2002, 02:15 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

I am so happy that the 944 I used to have and my current 951 have no sunroof maladies. I have heard so much cursing about these roofs, yet I have never had a problem!
Old 06-11-2002, 11:17 PM
turbopop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a manual sunroof panel from a 1980 924 sitting in my garage. Charcoal gray with brown interior panel and a brown bag. Paint is only fair but the panel is solid. Needs the front clips which I saw in Tweeks for $11 each but your existing panel's clips may work. Make me an offer. I am in MD.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:04 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

ok guys here's the numbers

83 944 sunroof
weight with headliner no front clips : 16 lbs
weight without headliner still no front clips : 12 lbs... the headliner and cardboard do weigh a good bit, so minus all the screws and attatching hardware, cardboard, etc... you lose around 4 lbs of weight

both times the sunroof was weighed with the seal on it, and no front clips (sold)

my theory is that with minor modifications, an electric sunroof car could be made manual by installing the mounting hardware for the manual, i'm not quite sure how it would work on the car, attatching the hardware... i hope you get it figured out, maybe i'll try it!

-Mike
Old 06-12-2002, 12:18 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Steve Lavigne:
<strong>I am so happy that the 944 I used to have and my current 951 have no sunroof maladies. I have heard so much cursing about these roofs, yet I have never had a problem! </strong><hr></blockquote>

You blew it, Steve. Your roof will never work again.

(Actually, mine rocks too, but I'm getting paranoid everytime I use it. In the back up position these things move a lot of air with very litle cabin noise. They're great!)
Old 06-12-2002, 01:57 PM
nib5
Instructor

While on the subject of sunrooves, I would like to know if anyone has been into their central junction box (white plastic, in middle) on the early style (no gears) elec. roof.

My left side cable is broken - God only knows how, it looks thick enough to moor the Queen Mary - and the roof has been lashed down since I bought the car. I would like to get some feedback on the method of changing an early arm before I take it all apart. It rains too frequently to risk having to leave it open.

Manual does seem to make more sense when all the electrics really do is open the back 3 inches... mind you maybe I'm just bitter 'cos mine has never worked.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:28 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by nib5:
<strong>Manual does seem to make more sense when all the electrics really do is open the back 3 inches</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've been saying that since I bought the car...

Thanks a LOT Mike, for weighing that stuff!!! DAMN, am I good at estimating weights I've ALWAYS said the manual one's felt ~3lbs lighter, and there you go and confirm it- the electric one (of mine, weighs 19lbs). Anyway, it's also nice to know that if I strip the other junk out of there, I could save another 4lbs, coming to a grand total of 7lbs off the lid and highest point of the car! I've always wanted to save a few pounds off that thing to make iT easier to just fling it in and out at will, since I like driving w/it out- I just have to find a way to get my short *** back in the car a little bit to actually enjoy the roof- it's obvious that only taller people (6'3" or so, and above) are supposed to be able to really enjoy it. Oh well, do I hear 6" pedal blocks and a steering wheel that sticks ridiculously far away from the dash? Serioulsy, I'm thinking of about 2.5" for the pedals, and 1.5" for the wheel (I'm 5'9")- should be about as far as possible w/out going stupid-looking. Then it's time for some better seats- oh well- $$$$$!!!

Oh yeah, to all you carbon fibre enthusiasts out there- anyone think they could make a really thin piece to finish the interior of one of our sunroofs, just for looks? PLEASE let me know. It looks like I'll be keeping this car (no calls on the ad)- I'm going to try to find something else to drive, so I can make this the project car that it really needs to be instead of the daily driver...

Thanks,
Robby

Quick Reply: Eliminate electrics for sunroof?