Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Factory Cup Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:07 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the photos Oddjob and Jim! I'm going to look for the back issue of Excellence.

Oddjob, I do understand that the later Turbo Cup cars had more special/bespoke bits out of the factory. Having said this, the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) on my car does indicate the car as a "Porsche Cup Model" with the "Club Sport Package". I don't have the certificate in front of me right now, but I do recall some info on what is included in the Club Sport package such as the suspension pieces. It doesn't get into the specification as it pertains to the "Cup Model" designation.

WRT seats, I think you may be right about the race seat not necessarily having a Porsche crest out of the factory and that this might have been subject to dealers' mods. My CoA also does indicate Porsche script seats out of the factory; but I have heard from somebody who remembers the cars back in the day that Porsche did offer a Recaro seat at the time of purchase. I would love to get confirmation on this. Again, perhaps the Excellence magazine article could be helpful.

Thank you also for everybody's encouragement so far. The roller car is at a body shop for some paint work. Perhaps, I can take photos when I get it back.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

The Excellence article is in issue #59, FEB 96. I cant find my old issue but will look for it.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Found the article:

David Deacon (General Mgr of Porsche Division, Volkswagen Canada) put the series together. 31 cars made.

"He started with street legal 944s but told the factory to leave out the luxury items like the sun roof, air conditioning, electric windows and locks and radio. Also left behind were the door pockets, power steering, undercoating, and center arm rest. What Deacon asked them to put in was a limited slip differential, 16" wheels, and something called the 944 M030 suspension option. This included unique race-only parts developed by the engineers at Porsche's development center at Weissach. It consisted of trick stuff like threaded collar shock bodies for quick height adjustment, 23mm front and 20mm rear swaybars. special suspension bushings, brackets, torsion bars and springs."

"The engines....were tuned and dyno tested to produce identical horsepower (150bhp @ 5800rpm) and then sealed to prevent tampering."

Article is pretty brief, just a couple pics. One of a partial interior/dash view. Hard to see what the drivers seat is. Shows manual window cranks, non-AC heater control unit. Cage does not look like a factory Matter cage (at least not the style/type used in the later Turbo Cups). Car has a radio in it, even though above list says they were radio delete. No map pockets on the door panels. Center console has the empty tray, not the cassette/covered arm rest.

Some ambiguity as to what the suspension really was, M030 is just the normal sport suspension option, not "unique race-only parts developed by the engineers at Porsche's development center at Weissach" - which would be Club Sport M637 option bits, like your CoA indicates.

Does the car have the original suspension on it? What about the cage, is it the original one? Any chance of an option sticker in the spare tire well?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:53 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20mm rear sways?! That's bigger than 968 M030! Never heard of those. Certainly an interesting match to a 23mm front when the 968 M030 was a 30mm.

If you had the original suspension that would definitely something interesting to check out.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schwank
20mm rear sways?! That's bigger than 968 M030! Never heard of those. Certainly an interesting match to a 23mm front when the 968 M030 was a 30mm.
The 20mm rear bars (non-adjustable) are pretty rare, as 86+ M030 N/As and M030 944S cars are very few and far between...

23mm front is solid, so it is probably similar stiffness to the 25.5mm tubular bars (which weigh quite a bit less). My old 944S came with 25.5mm front and 18mm rear, the M030 option would have put the 20mm bar on the back.

The later Club Sport/Turbo Cup rear bar was 21mm 3-way adjustable, 30mm tubular front (same bar as the 968 M030).
Old 02-27-2009, 02:08 AM
FASTRNU
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in your neck of the woods and would love to check out your cup car
Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Just to give you an update, the car is still at the paint shop. Perhaps, I can take photos the next time I see it. I will also look at the suspension on the car and see what I have. Meanwhile, the parts list keeps building as I go through what the car needs for restoration. It could be getting close to a point by which a good donor car is more economical. Perhaps, a street legal track car 86-88 944 NA in good shape would be ideal for me to buy then transfer over the bits. More later...
Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the Cup car has a legal cage, use it. Trust me, converting a street car is not cheap(er)!!!

Look forward to the pics. If you are bored come on down to PIR for the first Cup race of the year this weekend. I won't be driving as my motor is not done yet, but I will be out there working corners.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:08 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

I'm definitely not converting a street car to a track car. Been there, done that. Rather, I was saying that I have so many parts in this car missing that I need to get from a donor car (such as door handles, dash, etc.) instead of buying individual parts i.e. ebay.

The car has a roll cage that looks period-correct. I would need to check for its legality; it may need some reinforcement for side impact.

I don't know if I can do it this weekend, but I certainly plan to check out the PNW 944 Cup races sometime. When is the next PRI race?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:55 PM
944meister
Pro

i spectated the cup race at pacicfic raceways last year and there was a red 944 kicking some @$$ and giving a 911(964) a run for his money. could that have been you schwank?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:47 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

Originally Posted by MAGK944
The Rothman, Gulf, Martini, Camel, Marlboro decals & templates are all here: Porsche Decal Shop (No affiliation)
I checked there and only found the racing stripe with "Rothman's" logo.

^I'M looking for the Rothman's Across the rocker panels. I've got a Guards and I wanted to do it up like this one.

Quick Reply: 944 Factory Cup Car