Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SFR Supercharger Application

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:42 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Sell the n/a and buy an S2 or 968. Spend less money now for more power, than waste more money for less power...and then some more money....
Old 02-13-2010, 09:32 AM
FabilichuS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Sell the n/a and buy an S2 or 968. Spend less money now for more power, than waste more money for less power...and then some more money....
I wan't my car tuned alittle and I will spend the little extra cash to get it :P
I will upgrade the tranny and SC the engine, or get a new S2/951 tranny.
If I was to sell my car and buy a turbo I would pay more $ per HP cuz price in norway is Expensive
Old 02-13-2010, 10:42 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think a lot of you are missing the point of what extra HP means to different people and how it can be used for enjoyment with out the mechanical stress of racing. I think most of you are thinking of it strictly in terms of racing. That where the confusion is. Let's take the clutch or tube for example. It is obviously much more stressfull on the clutch and tube when doing burnouts or drifting. When you are cruising down the road and want to go from 30 to 60 to pass traffic you already have momentum built up to relieve the initial stress of twisting from a stand still. Using the extra HP in that situation would create less torque and less stress on moving parts with the extra HP than using the stock HP on a hard fast start. I am not sure how much more simplier it can be stated than this, "beat the **** out of your car with either the stock HP or a modest 60 extra HP and you will have problems. I always get a kick out of the track guys blaming the design of the car when it breaks down at the track. Porsche's are built to feel like a race car for street enjoyment', they are not race cars!
Old 02-13-2010, 12:42 PM
MN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

About six years and 40 000 miles ago, I had a 968 motor installed in my 1986 NA 944. The stock NA transmission, albeit with an oil cooler, is STILL O.K. And I drive rather spirited (only street, no track). However, I am aware that it may be only a question of time before the R&P in the NA transmission will fail.

I feel for driving in the U.S., even with a substantially more powerful engine, the lower gearing of a NA transmission is more suitable than the higher gearing of a turbo transmission. Different story if the car would be in Germany, would be a joke to max out at 130 mph on the Autobahn.

Consequently, should you decide to increase the horsepower, say, by 60 horses, I would recommend to stick with the NA transmission.

MN

Last edited by MN; 02-13-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:12 PM
FabilichuS
Racer

markusnolff : great that was what I was looking for Now all I have to do is fix my car and start saving cash for the SC....
Old 02-15-2010, 08:02 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll say it again, you are better off selling the NA trans while it is still whole and working to recoup a couple hundred bucks toward your build. Otherwise there is an EXTREMELY good chance that it will just become a rather large paperweight or scrap.

Just because a few have been lucky does not mean its gospel that it is just fine with a horsepower bump.

Its like unprotected sex. Just because one guy can get away with it once doesn't mean you won't get a mean case of the Alabama Snow Crabs if you try it.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tifo, as he said, he got the answer he was looking for. Some people ask questions genuinely seeking information, others ask questions merely to seek confirmation of their already held positions. Generally, you can help the former, but not the latter -- at least in my experience.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:06 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone have any real life input from vette engines put into 944's with the stock transaxle?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:23 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by rgs944
Anyone have any real life input from vette engines put into 944's with the stock transaxle?
944-LT1....

said he was using the stock box for a while, not sure now, but he never ever used 1st gear unless parking...2nd gear starts all the time, so much torque for those gears
Old 02-15-2010, 02:12 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

A couple of comments:
  1. The Audi-based 944 gearbox will hold up just fine with 200 BHP. Probably even more. It's not designed for hole-shots and drag-racing, but I doubt that's what would be done with a 200BHP car.
  2. ANY of the standard Audi-based gearboxes will be FINE for a supercharged 944. You should be mindful of the gearing, as there were differences, and so having a gearbox matched to your intended driving venue(s) should be part of your selection criteria. If you need something with crazy horsepower, consider a G31 with LSD, now that rebuild parts are available.
  3. Somewhere on page 2, somebody flippantly suggested going with low CR pistons and boosting the heck out of the car. This is NOT sound advice. Go read Maximum Boost and Supercharged by Corky Bell. I would rather start with a high compression piston (even 9:1 or 10:1 is fine) and boost modestly, than to have really low compression pistons and boost like crazy. There are a ton of variables to consider when sizing a proper forced induction SYSTEM. The name of the game is thermal management, and boosting like crazy adds heat to your charge. Exponentially so. You don't have to add tons of boost to have a powerful, responsive, forced induction system.
  4. Any forced induction application is not a decision to made lightly. You need to evaluate your baseline system and figure out where you want to go from there. Again, read Max Boost. Here is a spreadsheet I put together to help with forced induction compressor sizing. It's default values are for a 2.0L car, but the variables are all configurable, so you can plug in whatever bore and stroke you have or would like to have, and figure out the correctly sized compressor based on your BHP goals, required airflow, and pressure ratios.
  5. I'd be interested to know how many of the SBC conversion guys are road racing. Not saying it can't be done, but suggesting an $11K conversion setup for drag racing to a guy who expressed interest in a road racing car seems a bit silly to me. But that could just be me
All that said, I like the idea of supercharging. I've dealt with SFR, and they're good folks. Could it be done cheaper by developing a system yourself? Probably. BUT, there's definitely something to be said for a (nearly) bolt-on off-the-shelf solution.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:09 PM
FabilichuS
Racer

Well I got to say its good to have some pros for information. Not gonna be a SC in the car before next year it looks like, just orderd parts for around $4000 for my car and my primary thing now is getting the engine up and running almost like new. I bet the cars total price will be $50.000,- cars in NorwAY is expensive But then it will be the dreamcar of my life

Quick Reply: SFR Supercharger Application