Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What would you do with this 79 924?
Fix it up enough just to sell and make a little profit. It has potential!
58.62%
Part that rusty slug down to bare bones. That shell is garbage!
20.69%
Race car canidate or maybe just put it back up for sale for $500?
20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

What should I do with this 924? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 AM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a 24 hours of lemons car is a great idea!! that car is a perfect candidate for it lol.

but it all just looks cosmetic to me, put some elbow grease in it and flip it since you have the extra parts to it anyways
Old 02-23-2009, 02:57 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it run WELL? Does everything work inside?
Old 02-23-2009, 03:45 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

www.924board.org
Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm going to have to say +1 for the 24 hrs of LeMons. Gut it and sell off all the parts you remove.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

I know someone who might be interested to give you a profit on it as it is right now. I'm looking for a project to start with my younger cousin.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:10 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like my first car Mine was a 78
Old 02-23-2009, 11:11 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

How about giving it a carrera Gt body kit ????
Old 02-24-2009, 01:44 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

For those suggesting the 24 hours of Lemons, I think it would be a blast, and if I wasnt looking to make profit from the car I would probably highly consider it. But after loosing my job on Friday, I just need to make a few bucks to carry me through the next couple weeks or however long it may be.
I can easily prep the car for a race if I knew someone was going to buy it from me to use for that though!

Originally Posted by porschefig
Does it run WELL? Does everything work inside?
Yet to be determined. I am going to change all the fluids, change the fuel filter, clean it up a bit, and see if it will drive around. This will probably be a strong determining factor in whether to part it or fix it.

Originally Posted by Lorax
I know someone who might be interested to give you a profit on it as it is right now. I'm looking for a project to start with my younger cousin.
Well, as I suggested in the poll, I could probably put it up for sale for $500 without touching it, and have a buyer by the end of the month. But it will probably be another week or so before I decide what to do. If you or someone you know is interested, I'll be glad to sell it asap if need be. I'll even include a nice hood, nose panel, headlight covers, fender, and hatch.
Just stay in touch if you remain interested in the car.

Originally Posted by WizPorsche944
How about giving it a carrera Gt body kit ????
If my intention was to keep the car for myself, then heck yeah! But I don't want to invest a bunch of money into the car and not get much back when I sell it. Plus I just sold my CGT hood scoop last month!

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:53 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I just parted out a car, and it looks like I'm only going to make a few hundred bucks after 3 weekeneds of stripping it... and no junkyard would take the frame for free, so I had to leave the suspension on and give it away as a roller for free. And this was a late 944 with nice goodies.

That 924 looks nice for $250 but I can't really see anything worth money if you part it out, aside from basic things like glass or panels. I think you should clean it up and sell it.

I don't know if you can paint... I can't, so last time I wanted to clean/sell a car I learned how to make a cheapo maaco job come out really well. Basically do all the prep yourself, including body work, rust repair, and priming, and then order their 1-stage paint in a flat color, no clear and no metallic! It will actually come out really well. If the place actually offers a 2nd stage clear (not integrated clear) then get that too.

GL
Old 02-24-2009, 03:24 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I just parted out a car, and it looks like I'm only going to make a few hundred bucks after 3 weekeneds of stripping it... and no junkyard would take the frame for free, so I had to leave the suspension on and give it away as a roller for free. And this was a late 944 with nice goodies.

That 924 looks nice for $250 but I can't really see anything worth money if you part it out, aside from basic things like glass or panels. I think you should clean it up and sell it.

I don't know if you can paint... I can't, so last time I wanted to clean/sell a car I learned how to make a cheapo maaco job come out really well. Basically do all the prep yourself, including body work, rust repair, and priming, and then order their 1-stage paint in a flat color, no clear and no metallic! It will actually come out really well. If the place actually offers a 2nd stage clear (not integrated clear) then get that too.

GL
Hmm really? I'm in the process of parting out a 944 I bought a while back for $500 and I've already made that much back, including selling the motor. I plan on taking it to the scrap yard once I'm done, and they typically give me cash, usually around 200-400 dollars depending on how heavy the car is. They give me $7.50 per every 100lbs, so I fill up the scrap shell with as much junk metal that I could find.

As for paint, I think I have the hand for it. Last month I painted the wheels on my 951 Signal Green, and last year I painted my whole 944 red-orange. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=49442

The main concern I guess is the rust in certain areas. I don't have much experience repairing rust, but I hear it can be a reoccuring nightmare if its not fixed right the first time. And I dont really want to sell the car and then 3 months later have the new owner come back to complain about rust bubbles in the paint.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:34 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't see any holes, if no holes than sand and sand and sand some more than paint and you would have a decent car.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:38 PM
flosho
Pro

How about a 4g63 swap..
Old 02-24-2009, 06:26 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
I don't see any holes, if no holes than sand and sand and sand some more than paint and you would have a decent car.
I think the spot I'm worried about the most is right at the hinge for the rear hatch. Right where the hinge bolts into the body, it is rust city. I'll take some close-up pics tonight hopefully.

Originally Posted by flosho
How about a 4g63 swap..
I suppose that would be interesting. Has it been done on a 924/944 before?
I'm just not in the market for a unique swap at the moment. I'll get around to doing an outrageous swap eventually in my life..!
Old 02-26-2009, 03:28 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

finally have some pictures of some of the bad rust parts.

starting with what I think is the worst...

some rust around the roof

near the hatch latch.

other side.

both rear quarters have some rust bubbles or sections that look like this.

sooo, think its still worth a shot at fixing up? :/
Old 02-26-2009, 03:55 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

some of that rust looks pretty bad. I wouldn't bother with a rust car like that.

if you don't get rid of all the rust which is a lot of work and not easy to do it'll just come back.

plus that interior is trashed, rust. would cost way too much money to make that car look good. no way you'd make any money of that.

working on it yourself even it'd take so much time and considering time= money you still wouldn't really profit.

unless you really like to have a 924 project to restore I don't see a point of fixing that.

I'd part it for sure if you have the time

Quick Reply: What should I do with this 924? (pics)