Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield installation complications pix added

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:48 AM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sands944
I did get the Sekurit but the company was bought by another glass maker and the name is now combined into a name that ends with Sekurit.

This is why I have been putting off this windshield replacement. The installer covered up the rubber seal with the tape that is why I did not notice that it was not correct until today when I removed the tape.

yes call them up...they have to pull that glass back out, clean it up, clean up the mounting for the glass...and re-apply with a new seal. it cannot be tucked anywhere. it HAS TO overlap the pillar.

tell them to come out and do it again. thats what i had to do =D just keep a close eye on him doing it. If you see the lip getting tucked and hes trying to leave...raise that BS flag. =D
Old 03-09-2009, 08:48 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone (other than me) had a good experience with Safelite? This seems like insanity.

Costas - yes, there is PPG and I'm sure there are others too. However, going with different glass doesn't make the installation go any better if the installer doesn't know what he is doing or is in a rush. I called the local PPG glass company and they didn't seem to be interested in my business. They didn't even look up my glass - I told them that I had a Porsche and they immediately replied that they weren't interested in doing the job. I've also read that PPG showed up to someone's house with the same Chinese glass that Safelite typically uses.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:41 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shop owner stopped out the house yesterday to look at the car. He called me to tell me the glass was not pushed down onto the car enough and it is sitting to high off the car. That is why the seal will not lay flat and cover the a-pillar edge. They ordered a new piece of glass and I have to reschedule a remove and reinstall.

If they do not break the glass pulling it off and they are going to throw it in the dumpster I am going to try to save it from the landfill. I am sure someone who has insurance coverage that does not cover the windshield would be interested in it.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:52 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

The shop owner stopped out the house yesterday to look at the car. He called me to tell me the glass was not pushed down onto the car enough and it is sitting to high off the car. That is why the seal will not lay flat and cover the a-pillar edge. They ordered a new piece of glass and I have to reschedule a remove and reinstall.

If they do not break the glass pulling it off and they are going to throw it in the dumpster I am going to try to save it from the landfill. I am sure someone who has insurance coverage that does not cover the windshield would be interested in it.
they'll prob take it with them, and resell it haha. thats what they did with mine.

have them bring out someone new to accompany the other ppl. like a veteran glass installer.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:02 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spoolinturbo
they'll prob take it with them, and resell it haha. thats what they did with mine.

have them bring out someone new to accompany the other ppl. like a veteran glass installer.
Ya, I already said I want the guy that I talked to yesterday who knew right away what was wrong.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:03 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

Ya, I already said I want the guy that I talked to yesterday who knew right away what was wrong.
awesome! i hope that works out for u! nothing like a brand new windshield to look through
Old 03-13-2009, 08:09 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spoolinturbo
awesome! i hope that works out for u! nothing like a brand new windshield to look through
Yea I have been looking through that crack which was right at eye level for 20 years now. I have enjoyed the new windshield so far this week.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:33 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

I just got back from the re-install of the windshield. They took the windshield off and another more experienced installer said the rubber edge that comes on the windshield from the factory was too large. They cut it down a little bit so when they pushed it into the channel the windshield sits flat on the car. The key is the windshield sitting flat on the car. The rubber trim piece now sits flat and the edge of it covers both the edge of the windshield and the edge of the a-pillar. Here's hoping I never have another craked windshield.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:01 AM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

awesome man, im glad to hear that!! woohoO!!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:44 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Hey Curt i'm not looking for another glass brand just another installer then Safelite. I got ties to get the glass but what am I sapose to do now I got a new crack that goes up my passanger side from the allen clamp at bottom to almost the top and the SAFELITE dude airtooled out my riveted rail across the bottom of the windshield????!!!! Does that change EVERYTHING upon a new install since the rail been removed from my car??????
Old 03-25-2009, 10:03 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
the SAFELITE dude airtooled out my riveted rail across the bottom of the windshield????!!!!
Wait, wait, wait....you let a glass guy go at your car with an air chisel?

I would have choked him with the hose on his way over to my car.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:41 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Well I don't know glass all that well and I figured he knew what was going on better then me so I ran to the post office When I got back he showed me the piece he had to "cutout" to fit the glass and I had the Sekurit glass installed!

AND YES ! I thought very seriously about catching a case that afternoon but then I just said to myself FIGURES!!!!!

Quick Reply: windshield installation complications pix added