Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield installation complications pix added

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:52 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sands944
I have been putting off a windshield replacement for 20 years on my 22 year old car. The crack was only about 6 inches for 19 years and turned into 24 inches last year and I have been putting it off because of fear of a bad install. I have finally made an appointment for Saturday morning armed with all the info from this post. Thanks

well just remember...the only real problem mine had was the trim was on the windshield wrong...he smooshed it in the windsheild frame when it should rest ontop the a-pillars.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same problem with safelite. There are two diffferent windshields for late 944 cars. From my understanding, the air bag models had a rubber strip on the bottom of the glass. The cars without didn't have this strip.
I ordered the 968 windshield for my 86 944 because I didn't want the antenna in the glass. They had to cut off the rubber on the bottom because of the same fitment issue you had since all the 968s came with air bags.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:01 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
From my understanding, the air bag models had a rubber strip on the bottom of the glass. The cars without didn't have this strip.
I thought that was the other difference between late/early glass. Mine did have the strip, and it was necessary to make it fit properly (late/no airbags).
Old 03-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With the windshield from safelite with the rubber strip it stuck out at the bottom so my wiper arms touched the glass. After removing and installing the windshield again without the strip it fit.
I looked it up at the time about the air bag thing but it was about 5 years ago. Maybe there was a thicker strip on the air bag cars?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
With the windshield from safelite with the rubber strip it stuck out at the bottom so my wiper arms touched the glass. After removing and installing the windshield again without the strip it fit.
I looked it up at the time about the air bag thing but it was about 5 years ago. Maybe there was a thicker strip on the air bag cars?
I don't know...but it sometimes it seems like there are more subtle variations to these cars than most of us realize.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:24 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Anybody have any pictures of this rubber strip? I don't see it on the '86 or the '87. Is it behind the glass? Between the glass and the dash?
Old 03-07-2009, 02:08 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....that look like they're ready to retire.
Oh man, don't get those old guys goin...;]

Retirement: 18 mtg and a wake-up...Bruce
Old 03-07-2009, 12:38 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

i think the rubber strip is removeable, you can see on the bottom of the car where that lip comes off the car...its a applicable rubber to install the windshield...and i think on some other cars it had a...like a weather-molding? is that what we are talking about here?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:08 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

I only read the first page of this post to realize that SAFELITE is behind it' ****ED!! Sorry to say but I have not heard A SINGLE good story form them they ruined my 951 by cutting out the metal rail in the bottom of the windshield!!!! And just last week the ruined my friend Rover and now his car is at his insurance for investigation.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:11 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

But in SAFELITE defense they do have the newer windshield and the Factory named glass because that what they put in my car. The one that starts with the S**** can't remember the rest of the name...lol
Old 03-08-2009, 10:34 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
I only read the first page of this post to realize that SAFELITE is behind it' ****ED!! Sorry to say but I have not heard A SINGLE good story form them they ruined my 951 by cutting out the metal rail in the bottom of the windshield!!!! And just last week the ruined my friend Rover and now his car is at his insurance for investigation.
Because people don't complain when they get good service.

Safelite showed up with 2 windshields when I asked for one. I was wrong (I thought the non-antenna glass would fit), they were right. The took out my old windshield, and let me take care of some rust in one corner while they waited for like 45 minutes for me to finish and have things dry. They primed things properly, installed my windshield, hooked up the antenna, and left. Everything is fine. It hasn't leaked. It's properly installed.

There's your story. See, it's not very exciting? That's why people don't bother.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:16 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spoolinturbo
well just remember...the only real problem mine had was the trim was on the windshield wrong...he smooshed it in the windsheild frame when it should rest ontop the a-pillars.
Well I had it done yesterday. I just took the tape off and I think I might have the same issue you did. The rubber molding is flat along the top of the windshield but when it goes around the corner it was tucked in next to the a-pillar instead of resting on top. I tried to pull it up and out to lay on top but it just keep going back in the grove.

When I took the car in it was resting on top like Porsche made the car 22 years ago I looked at the 944 I bought last year and it is resting on top. Why would it be tucked? I hope it is just a personal preference of the installer. I did ask for their most experienced installer when I got there and he called the guy on his cell phone and asked him to come in the shop today for a "special" install on a 944 just like the one you did recently. He is one of the installers who usually does mobile installs so I guess I have to have him stop by the house.

By the way Sekurit was bought by another company so the name is combined with the new company name.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:34 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sands944
Well I had it done yesterday. I just took the tape off and I think I might have the same issue you did. The rubber molding is flat along the top of the windshield but when it goes around the corner it was tucked in next to the a-pillar instead of resting on top. I tried to pull it up and out to lay on top but it just keep going back in the grove.

When I took the car in it was resting on top like Porsche made the car 22 years ago I looked at the 944 I bought last year and it is resting on top. Why would it be tucked? I hope it is just a personal preference of the installer. I did ask for their most experienced installer when I got there and he called the guy on his cell phone and asked him to come in the shop today for a "special" install on a 944 just like the one you did recently. He is one of the installers who usually does mobile installs so I guess I have to have him stop by the house.

By the way Sekurit was bought by another company so the name is combined with the new company name.
Did you get the Sekurit glass?

Everyone - please remember that if something doesn't look right when the installer is done, it will NOT look right tomorrow or the day after. Things just don't magically fix themselves. For whatever reason, it seems very difficult to find good glass installers these days.

The molding isn't tucked - it's too narrow to bridge the gap between the glass and the body and is falling into the gap. The installer should have recognized the issue immediately and used a little wider molding. Depending on how he attached it to the glass (if he even did), he may be able to remove the molding that's on there and replace it with something wider without removing the glass. But make sure you look at it as soon as he's done doing it - there's a good chance that it will not lay flat or will be wavy. If that's the case, he'll need to remove the glass again to do it right.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:45 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CurtP
Did you get the Sekurit glass?
I did get the Sekurit but the company was bought by another glass maker and the name is now combined into a name that ends with Sekurit.

This is why I have been putting off this windshield replacement. The installer covered up the rubber seal with the tape that is why I did not notice that it was not correct until today when I removed the tape.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:19 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

I hear you Daryl but the number they did to my friends Rover sealed you can say I am NOT using them again. They had the sunroof open and was pouring water in threw there on the headliner trying to say that was how it was leaking. BUT it never leaked before the glass was replaced !! I do get your point of view tho 1 out of every 780 windshields they do the customer is LUCKY to have a good job done. Consider yourself one of those people.

THe big question to me is is there ANY OTHER glass company then safelite to do it that is where I will be going i'm not crazy enough to get the same chop shop work a second time ...lol

Quick Reply: windshield installation complications pix added