Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler missing plastic washer

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 04:01 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil cooler missing plastic washer

finally took my oil cooler out and want to finish fixing it tonight (gluing in a new oprv bushing in teh block with loctite).

anyways took the oil cooler out of the housing to replace the seals while it's out.

anyways there is not plastic washer behind and the oil cooler moves side to side a bit plus someone had installed a shim behind the oil cooler where in clarks it shows to only install shim(s) between the cooler and the block.

anyways before it had one shim behind and now I removed that and added two shims and gives me about + .25mm

i'm guessing that plastic washer is not crucial as my oil cooler was not mixing oil and coolant before.....

I think that plastic washer it to prevent the oil cooler moving side to side (play)

I really want to fix it by tomorrow and see if my oil pressure problems are gone....hopefully.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

okay repair is done...... my oil pressure seems good now

didn't isntall that plastic washer as I didn't have one and put it back together......

will oil getting in the coolant or coolant in oil be obvious to see? I don't see anything yet and went for a 20 minute drive....

also hoping that oprv bushing stays glued in this time..... it had come loose from the block and caused my no oil pressure problem. I used loctite 648 as recomended to glue it back into the block.

also noticed corrosing on the water passages in the block.... seemed a bit disturbing the round hole for the coolant looked oval due to errosion.....

I'm using prestone all makes and model antifreeze with distilled water / water wetter. I did a search here and found lots of people use the yellow bottle prestone antifreeze including people with 928s.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:31 AM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Alright man, congrats for getting your car running, but i would suggest getting rid of it before another catastrophe happens.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:37 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

you think?

it's got almost everything replaced on it now, except head gasket lol, that's probbly what will go next or engine rebuild.

I'm also not sure if my oil pressure is competlely normal now. it starts at 5 bar then drops to 4 bar then 3 bar then finally 2.5 bar when hot.

then when I rev it up when it's hot and idling at 2.5 bar it goes to a tiny bit over 3 bar then drops back quickly to 4 bar even when I increase the revs. Also the pressure doesn't seem stable it jumps around a tiny bit on the gauge.

anyways i'm hoping the cooler seals went into the block properly so I don't get oil / coolant mixing, I don't want to do this repair again lol.

at least I don't need a new 600 dollar oprv......

the old style oprv looks bullet proof , I don't see how it can fail, it's just a piston and a spring, unless the spring breaks. mine failed because of the bushing comign loose and moving around.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:41 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

i'm not sure what other car to get if I do decide to sell it. I haven't driven many cars that I would want instead of my 944.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:42 AM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your oil pressure is fine, or thats exactly what my car does. And yea i think you still need to get rid of that car. It will always have problems and it will always be expensive.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:48 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

well I've had it for 3 years now.

in that time oil pan gasket went, motor mounts were toast, oil pump started gushing oil, clutch went, torque tube grenaded, power steering rack started pissing fluid. and the rest was all preventative maintenance.

one reason I want to keep it is that I have worked on it so much and have taken everything apart so it's fairly easy for me to work on now, although time consuming.

I don't plan on selling it for a corolla.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:52 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

also forgot to mention that I bought the car for 4100 and I have spent 5000 in parts, repair, and maintenance since then. I put a dent in the rear quarter panel since buying it (not major) so if i sell it I won't get very much for it. doesn't seem worth selling to me.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea if you can handle the inconvenience of DIY repair on a daily driver car then keep it. You won't get anywhere close to what you now have in it. As for how to tell if oil & coolant are mixing, when the oil cooler seals go bad, you will begin to see eveidence of oil in the coolant reservoir tank. In advanced stages you get more of a milk shake. When running, oil pressure is generally a good bit higher than cooling system pressure so oil goes into coolant. When shut down, cooling system pressure will be higher than oil pressure (zero) for a time as engine cools. So the leaks can go either way.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:06 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

oh now i'm a little worried.

hopefully my seals all went on properly when I installed my oil cooler.

my expansion tank is all yellowed so I can't really see anything, I took the cap off but the coolant looks fine but maybe th eoil hasn't gone up there yet if it is leaking.

i'm paranoid so i'll probably drain teh coolant in a couple days adn check it.

most likely I should be fine. the oil cooler would not pop into the block and I just started tightening teh oil cooler bolts and assume the seal popped in when I finishing tightening the bolt down.

if i'm getting oil into the coolant wouldn't the oil level go down ?

my oil is castrol synthec and really light colored so it's hard to see. not sure what coolant in the oil would look like.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:47 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
if i'm getting oil into the coolant wouldn't the oil level go down ?

my oil is castrol synthec and really light colored so it's hard to see. not sure what coolant in the oil would look like.
Not necessarily. Because you might be pushing oil into the coolant and coolant into the oil.

You don't need to drain anything to check - it's obvious.

In your expansion tank: you'll see tan milky sludge floating on top. Totally obvious.

In your oil: pull the dip stick after driving. If it looks like a moccachino, you have coolant in there.

Just be on top of checking every time you drive for a bit. If you don't let it get too bad, you won't hurt anything.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler missing plastic washer