Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input on installing a 5 / 6 point harness.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input on installing a 5 / 6 point harness.

I've got a BK harness bar and will be getting seats (Recaro Speed) with the sub belt hole. I'm looking for advice on: (1) where to anchor each of the six points, and (2) what hardware (off-the-shelf or custom) to use. I'm open to lots of suggestions and options.

I would like to be able to convert to rear seat use fairly quickly (e.g. 30 minutes or less).
Old 02-03-2009, 06:01 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get 6 point belts, that is not a debate. Keep the family jewels intact at all costs

I use standard mounting hardware. Bought an eye bolt to screw into the factory lap belt mount in the door sill. On the tunnel late cars were not drilled through as the seat belt was attached to the seat proper, but the backing plate with a hole is still there. Drill through and use a 4x4 backing plate to bolt through that. I use eye bolts with the latching clips for 3" belts.

For the sub belts I mount to a bar welded between the seat frames. You can also go through the floor but make sure to have them spaced wide enough. Don't mount to one hole in the middle.

If you do that you could take out the rollbar, detach the lap belts from the eye bolts, and shove the sub belts under the seat, and you have rear seat use again.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:44 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

I thought the BK harness bar wasn't strong enough to mount harnesses to. I may be thinking of their guide bar. Do they make a proper harness bar?
Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Having seen the BK harness bar, i would not mount a harness to that. Its a harness guide bar, meaning the harness should be mounted to the rear seatbelt points and wrapped over the bar.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:52 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

So it sounds a lot like the Weltmeister I had... I would not trust that think earlier.

I think both Jon and I bought a Redline rollbar. That thing is BURLY.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by schwank
So it sounds a lot like the Weltmeister I had... I would not trust that think earlier.

I think both Jon and I bought a Redline rollbar. That thing is BURLY.
I'm only going to use the bar as a guide bar. I wouldn't hang an expensive suit from that bar!

I will anchor the shoulder belts (I assume) at the rear seat belt mounts. That's part of my question. Are the rear seatbelt anchor points good? Is there good hardware for that?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:15 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

If so I would do the same and use an eye bolt with a latch disconnect.

Like these at Apex Performance. If you look around you can find maybe a shorter eye bolt too. Maybe from one of the other racer parts places. Forget exactly where mine came from, but that's what I am using on the lap belts so...
Old 02-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by schwank
If so I would do the same and use an eye bolt with a latch disconnect.

Like these at Apex Performance. If you look around you can find maybe a shorter eye bolt too. Maybe from one of the other racer parts places. Forget exactly where mine came from, but that's what I am using on the lap belts so...
Excellent. Thanks. So it seems like the only heavy thinking is on the sub-belts and inboard lap.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

For the inboard lap i mounted it to the tab on the adapters i have for my Momo seats. Not sure if you need these adapters with the Recaros..probably not. The best option is to drill out the stock mounting location on the center tunnel and put a reinforcing plate to distribute the load. If you do a search on this there is plenty of info about mounting harnesses this way.

Check this thread to see how i mounted my sub belts.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ess-setup.html
Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Here is a pic from when I did mine. See the hole through the plate in the tunnel? That is not pre-drilled on late cars but you can do it easy enough. Put one of those backing plates and an eye bolt through, and the inboard lap belt is checked off.

The sub belts are the hardest to do 'right'.

Quick Reply: Input on installing a 5 / 6 point harness.