Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle from above driver side wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Clackamas
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle from above driver side wheel well

This rattle has me going nuts. Even with a friend driving me around while sitting in the back, I couldn't isolate it. It sounds like something rattling in the space between outer and inner wall of the rear roof support or down around the sunroof control motor.

It is a plastic/metal sounding noise that appears to be coming from rear support roof area.

I have checked that the drainage tube, the sun roof drive shaft and the wires all appear to be tightened down. I recently installed new rear hatch struts, but it still hasn't gone away.

Anyway, the hatch seems tight and has a good seal...

But I am at a loss. It started after I replaced the rear shocks, but it's not coming from underneath the car. I am certain of that.

Last edited by Clackamas; 02-01-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Spare tire?

That was my rattle recently.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Clackamas
Track Day

No, it's not the spare. I took it, the tool kit, jack and back carpet out and drove around. It is definitely coming from near the rear driver side window.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Clackamas
Track Day

I need some help isolating this

I just got back from a drive to better isolate it... I'd stick my had on the rear glass and it made zero difference to the rattle. I also drive with the door open to make make sure it was coming from outside.

It sounds like it is coming from the area of the rear quarter panel where the sun roof engine is. But that seems tight. I tried pushing the suspension up/down but couldn't repro the noise... I only hear it when I go over bumps though probably only 80%. And the speed of the car can be as little as 5mph or slower as I pull out of my parking garage.

I am really at a loss to further isolate this.

If it is the hatch delaminating, is there a test? I tried hitting around the glass but it all feels solid and no noise.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Exhaust heat shield?

Are you in the Pacific NW?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Clackamas
Track Day

Originally Posted by Wipeout
Spare tire?

That was my rattle recently.
I doubt it. I had the exhaust drooped and fixed recently... the noise was there before the exhaust was fixed. However, it did start after I replaced the shocks. But due to the location of the noise, it really sounds like it is in the passenger cab, I am reluctant to believe it is suspension related -- this driving with the door open...

But, like I said, I am open to diagnostic ideas...

For example, what does a rear hatch rattle sound like?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:20 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clackamas
I doubt it. I had the exhaust drooped and fixed recently... the noise was there before the exhaust was fixed. However, it did start after I replaced the shocks. But due to the location of the noise, it really sounds like it is in the passenger cab, I am reluctant to believe it is suspension related -- this driving with the door open...

But, like I said, I am open to diagnostic ideas...

For example, what does a rear hatch rattle sound like?
Loose nut in drivers seat is my vote... Sorry couldn't come up with anything better, Try sunroof adjust, lift it slightly and see the the rattle goes away, my N/A rattles from the SR if conditions are just right, new seals should clear this up if it is the culprit...If it was the rear hatch you would know it... read my OT on it, I am in the middle of a rear hatch re-seal....
Old 02-02-2009, 12:43 AM
Clackamas
Track Day

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Loose nut in drivers seat is my vote... Sorry couldn't come up with anything better, Try sunroof adjust, lift it slightly and see the the rattle goes away, my N/A rattles from the SR if conditions are just right, new seals should clear this up if it is the culprit...If it was the rear hatch you would know it... read my OT on it, I am in the middle of a rear hatch re-seal....
I have had my car for 8 years. So, this is a new noise for me. I reviewed your thread, and I am still, not clear, what the hatch would sound like.

It is intermittent, but does rattle with bumps that may or may not cause the suspension to move noticeably.

I am really really hoping it is something I have over looked that is easy to fix...
Old 02-02-2009, 12:58 AM
tinklybear
Advanced

I'm sure you've already checked this but it wont hurt. Make sure your lug nuts are tight.

Don't ask me how I know.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:14 AM
Clackamas
Track Day

Originally Posted by tinklybear
I'm sure you've already checked this but it wont hurt. Make sure your lug nuts are tight.

Don't ask me how I know.
I have had both rear tires off and torqued 2 times in the last 2 months since the I did the rear breaks ( I was sent the wrong wear sensors, and I finally got the correct ones 2 weeks ago).
Old 02-02-2009, 05:49 AM
wasserkuhl
Intermediate

Hi, I may have missed what type of car you have so I will assume its a 924/944/968. This rattle sounds like a common problem found on these models. It is likely to be a Corroded Trailing arm bolt. Check all of these. as they corrode play forms and that clunking noise starts, the fix is generally simple, remove, clean and replace. Probably best to put the car up on a lift to have a good look at all of the bolts and test tighten them all.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:26 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both my cars have rattled from the hatches, and made different sounds. You might be able to climb back there again, and push upward on the hatch, appying pressure near the top edge corners. This should make the noise stop, until you release pressure.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Clackamas
Track Day

Originally Posted by wasserkuhl
Hi, I may have missed what type of car you have so I will assume its a 924/944/968. This rattle sounds like a common problem found on these models. It is likely to be a Corroded Trailing arm bolt. Check all of these. as they corrode play forms and that clunking noise starts, the fix is generally simple, remove, clean and replace. Probably best to put the car up on a lift to have a good look at all of the bolts and test tighten them all.
Thanks! I will check the bolts... the sound did start after I replaced the shocks -- even thought the sound does not appear to originate from outside with the door open/window down.

And yes, it is a 944 S2.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Clackamas
Thanks! I will check the bolts... the sound did start after I replaced the shocks -- even thought the sound does not appear to originate from outside with the door open/window down.

And yes, it is a 944 S2.
Are any of the seat pins loose? The things that look like door strikers and hold up the back seat? They are held in by 2 or three screws (in the plastic around them) that goes to a piece of threaded bracket that sits behind the B post.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Clackamas
Track Day

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Are any of the seat pins loose? The things that look like door strikers and hold up the back seat? They are held in by 2 or three screws (in the plastic around them) that goes to a piece of threaded bracket that sits behind the B post.
I have split rear seats. That was the first thing I checked. The sound doesn't matter if the seat is locked or down.

I also took a cloth and folded it several times and placed it around the hatch pins too to see if I could either elimintate or change the sound. The cloth around the hatch made no difference.

Tonight, I am going to have someone drive me around again, but I will be lying down next to the sound.

I am baffled... litterally.

Quick Reply: Rattle from above driver side wheel well