Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations on storing a 951 for 9 months.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Snapper09
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations on storing a 951 for 9 months.

I purchased a 86' 951 in December with my father acting as proxy. The car is sitting in his driveway with a new CoverKing car cover and battery disconnected. I was due home in March, and wasn't too worried about it sitting idle for a few months. I have just been extended and won't be returning home until August/September.

The 951 has a radiator leak, the oil cooler gaskets need to replaced, front seal is leaking, and the power steering is spent. Basically this car will not be driven by my wife, even though her life insurance is paid up, until the I can ensure minor faults won't turn to major faults.

My wife is going to trailer the car home to NC and store it in our driveway, with the car cover on.

Any suggestions or recommendations about storing the car would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:49 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would reccomend putting some Sta-Bil in the gas tank, filling up the radiator with the right coolant and starting the car every couple of weeks to keep things lubricated and the battery charged. Don't need to drive it.
Also overinflate the tires to the maximum pressure that the tires can stand (44PSI?) to keep it from flatspotting too bad.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

-Change Oil
-Take battery out and store in the house, DO NOT leave it on a concrete floor. Put a piece of wood or a rubber mat under it
-Add fuel stabilizer to gas tank and fill up on gas. Run car for a few minutes to allow stabalizer to circulate through fuel system
-Inflate tires close to what is there maximum inflatable temperature

Dont bother starting the car until you plan to start working on it again. When you do restart it, remove the DME relay and coil wire and crank until you get oil pressure.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:20 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snapper09
I purchased a 86' 951 in December with my father acting as proxy. The car is sitting in his driveway with a new CoverKing car cover and battery disconnected. I was due home in March, and wasn't too worried about it sitting idle for a few months. I have just been extended and won't be returning home until August/September.

The 951 has a radiator leak, the oil cooler gaskets need to replaced, front seal is leaking, and the power steering is spent. Basically this car will not be driven by my wife, even though her life insurance is paid up, until the I can ensure minor faults won't turn to major faults.

My wife is going to trailer the car home to NC and store it in our driveway, with the car cover on.

Any suggestions or recommendations about storing the car would be greatly appreciated.
Dude, I'll be more than happy to keep it safe for you...
Old 01-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Kburke
Racer

Put it up on jack stands this helps with no flat spots on the tires, starting it up every couple of weeks helps as well.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Snapper09
AutoX

SmlPorsche & Techno Duck

Thanks for the input.

John,

Its currently sitting in Richmond. Your driveway is already overflowing but Thanks for the offer!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:10 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snapper09
SmlPorsche & Techno Duck

Thanks for the input.

John,

Its currently sitting in Richmond. Your driveway is already overflowing but Thanks for the offer!
OK, was worth the try though...The thought of the look on the neighbors face was enough to make me laugh He already hates my driveway (keep calling the county about my boat)

In lieu of my place, and if your wife is going to move it to your house I would make sure it gets put in the air, either on jackstands or a lift. Add the Stabil to the gas, and run it as advised, and be prepared for a lengthy refurbishment when you get back. Sounds like you picked up a project... But then I think any of us with cars this old are at one stage or another of our own little projects... Good luck, and just remember, there may be enough time to do it again, but you are better off doing it right the first time..
Old 01-30-2009, 11:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,131 Likes on 809 Posts

another point of view .. techno duck ha the right idea .. do NOT put it on jack stands. you extend the shocks to max travel putting stress on the seals and the suspension is resting unnaturally on the bushings in a way it was not designed. keping the pressure high will help avoid flat spots as suggested. They will be gone after a few miles anyway.
STabil is always a good idea and filling it will help with water vapour in the tank ( not steel tank anyway but will run better when started ) .
do NOT start it every couple of weeks becasue if puts moisture in the exhast system that you can not clear unless you run it thoroughly . change oil before and leave it.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:41 AM
GrantM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had to store my 89 951 for 15+ months, another 1yr+ storage coming up in 2010.

Add stabil, then fill the gas tank.
Change oil & filter.
Disconnect the battery, no need to remove it, just charge when you're back.
If indoors, I just slightly opened both windows, <1/2".
Max-inflate tires to near sidewall MAX PSI.
Use chock blocks, do not leave in gear, do not leave e-brake engaged.
Use a good car cover.

I did not have any problems when I restarted 15+ months later. Then change the oil again before any significant driving.

Grant
Old 01-31-2009, 10:51 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
-Take battery out and store in the house, DO NOT leave it on a concrete floor. Put a piece of wood or a rubber mat under it
This is some advice that needs to stop being given. It was dated advice like 50 years ago.

When battery cases were made of porous materials like tar-lined wood boxes, storing batteries on a concrete floor would accelerate their natural self discharge, as the seeping acid would act as a conductor to the (moisture in the) concrete.

Unless your battery is made of wood, you can put it wherever you want - but the colder the better, as that reduces the natural discharge rate. Cold places like in the car outside in the winter, disconnected. Or on a cold concrete floor that acts as a heat sink (the way many battery manufacturers store their batteries, including the distribution place near me).

Not that putting it in the house is going to make it discharge that much faster....as long as its not too hot, it's going to be fine.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:38 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The battery on a concrete floor is a myth. the worst way to store a battery is discharged. A fully charged battery is a happy battery. do disconnect both terminals however. Also, will the car be stored outside? I mean exposed to elements. I purchased my 924s after being stored outside under a cover for an extended while. The problem was the car cover held moisture in and saturated the paint. I know these things are supposed to "breath", and my cover is of the highest quality, It still did the paint in. It may be advisable to remove the cover on nice days and let the car air-out occasionally. I have seen some kind of dehumidifier that is supposed to keep the interior fresh, never used them but it might be a good idea.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Snapper09
AutoX

Thanks for all the input.

As I can't see my wife doing an oil and filter change. I will have her fill the tank, add Stabil, max inflate the tires, chock the wheels while leaving it in neutral with E-brake disengaged.

She's a project car anyways and I plan on rebuilding the engine when I make it home. Still in stock form, no accidents and paid $3700.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Cruisin'

Default d-con for rodents

i left a 83 944 outside, covered and under a heavy duty panther 20' metal
carport for the winter,added fuel additives, even hydro silicate for inside car for moisture and MICE got at the wiring,they like to gnaw on the outside of the expansion tank too.
buy some d-con and at least put close to your porsche,that way the little vermin
will go bye-bye before they screw up your stored vehicle.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Also be sure to ad the Sta-Bil first then the gas...

Quick Reply: Recommendations on storing a 951 for 9 months.