Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:44 PM
marcusw03
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal

Hey Everyone, I did a few searches and found some similar post but nothing exactly like what mine is doing. I checked clarks first but the description isn't exact. My clutch pedal travels to the floor and will not return. Plain and simple. I went offshore this saturday and returned today(im in oil). My car wouldn't start at first because of a dead battery not sure if they're related or what. I got it started but couldn't engage any gears because the clutch pedal was to the floor but not engaging.

I put my foot on the pedal, it goes to the floor with 0 resistance almost slapping the firewall and then stays.

marcus
Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 PM
teamking
Pro

Is the slave cylinder moving?

I'm guessing it's not. Maybe you're either low on brake/clutch fluid, or there is a leak in the line (in which case you will be low on fluid soon).
Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 PM
marcusw03
Instructor

the fluid was above minimum. I added some as per Clarks and nothing. I'm guessing as many people have said + clarks that it's the slave/master cyl. respectively. I was under the impression that this stuff was on top near the break fluid reservoir etc. reading clarks and they talk about removing the starter?

marcus
Old 01-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Wallace
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have air in your clutch hydraulic system.

You should replace the master cylinder, the slave cylinder, and the line between them.

The master is behind the clutch pedal and goes through fire wall.
The slave is underneath the car, by the starter.

I replaced both, and bled the sytem in about 4 hours. First time doing it.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:08 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marcusw03
the fluid was above minimum. I added some as per Clarks and nothing. I'm guessing as many people have said + clarks that it's the slave/master cyl. respectively. I was under the impression that this stuff was on top near the break fluid reservoir etc. reading clarks and they talk about removing the starter?

marcus
The master cylinder and the fluid tank are up top (it uses the brake fluid tank) but you have to remove the starter to easily get at the bleeder for the clutch system.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Same thing happened to me and I replaced both units. Come to find out when I went to bleed the system I found out that the blue hose from the reservoir was bad and seeping badly Oh well, preventative maintenance.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Before buying a master and slave do the simple things. First, pull the clutch out and push back in, do you feel any resistance at all? Check the engine compartment and look for brake fluid, is there a leak in the line between the master and slave. You won't necessarily have a large puddle of oil on the ground if this line breaks; unless you pump the clutch a bunch of times. If you don't see oil after pumping, then try bleeding the clutch. Try these first, it might just save you some money.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:47 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had 3 slave cylinders go out, only 1 master cylinder. You can check the hoses visually, i have only had to replace them once as well. This is on 3 different cars 944s, so the slave has failed on every one I've had, the hoses and master only on my current one. I would start at the slave, then the master. Check the hoses also- the hydraulic hose between them was leaking right above the metal portion of the hose at the slave end.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:32 PM
marcusw03
Instructor

can someone take a picture of the slave cylinder housing? I think mine is missing something.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:44 PM
marcusw03
Instructor

Looking at the diagram it looks like I am missing my clutch inspection hole plug. Could this cause problems with my master/slave cylinder and clutch system? I was replacing the clutch slave and master cylinder when I noticed this was missing.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Wallace
Racer

Originally Posted by marcusw03
Looking at the diagram it looks like I am missing my clutch inspection hole plug. Could this cause problems with my master/slave cylinder and clutch system? I was replacing the clutch slave and master cylinder when I noticed this was missing.
That plug is missing on every car. It will not cause problems if it is missing.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:19 PM
marcusw03
Instructor

Okay so I'll just continue with this and order a replacement.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

It might save you a few $$ if you can pinpoint the bad component. If not, it isn't all that expensive to replace all 3 (master, pressure hose, slave). If the supply line from the brake master is leaking, this would also be a good time to replace it (and it's inexpensive). The other thing to consider is that fixing one thing (i.e. slave) and then having to do it again in 6 months because the other fails (master) is a real possibility.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:26 PM
thekidd
Instructor

Did you check to see if your drivers side carpet was wet (brake fluid) or if you had a puddle (brake fluid) under the car under the starter? If you have fluid on the carpet then it is your master, if it underneath you car, then its the slave. The slave is above the starter, you cant see it or get to if the starter is in. The rubber parts on the slave and master do go bad afetr a while. I did mine in the summer, and the rubber on the slave had a crack in it. If nothing is wrong from the above, you have air in the sytem and possibly needs to be bleed, or you can pump it for days and try to get the air out also.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:32 AM
ButtSled
Instructor

Sounds like it could also be a broken firewall problem. Look where the master mounts for any tears in the sheet metal. Not a fun repair but do-able.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal