Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exterior Bulb and Dead Light Orders

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 02:39 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bump
Old 07-18-2003, 12:07 PM
PSUice944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan,

Hope I'm not too late!

I basically require all the bulbs, but need the 35x halogens for the brake lights (mine are weak and I don't want to replace the crappy clusters)

Pass on the dead cells, I don't think it would look "right".

I guess that would make:
#1156 x 6
#1157 x 2
#1155 x 6
And 2 35w halogens for the brake lights.

Do I need adaptors for the halogens? If so, those too. And if the 35w halogens aren't "common", I'll take 2 more replacement bulbs as well.

And could you send me some details on your ground kit? I may jump on that one if it's available.

THANKS A TON!

<CJGrobmyer@att.net>

Old 07-18-2003, 01:34 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Chris, you are in time to get in on the order. I'm holding it open over the weekend and will place the bulb order on Monday.

Your bulb count is correct though you may want to delete the underhood #1156 and replace with the 35 halogen. Helps at night if you are snooping under the hood though you probably still need a small flashlight anyway. The base of these 35 watt halogens is the same as the stock #1156 so no need to buy adaptors - just plug them in.

The average life of a respectable #1156 is 1200 hours and the 35 watt halogen is 300 hours so they will burn out quicker but in brake duty even 300 hours is a long time. Their primary use is in the emergency lighting in cops cars, firetrucks and paramedic vans and those maintenance shops usually buy them by the case lot from distributors. I haven't seen them in my local auto stores like PepBoys so it may be some work tracking replacements down. So up to you if you think you should carry a set of spares.

Did you want me to email you info on just the grounding cables I have or the whole battery cable package which includes the positives?
Old 07-18-2003, 03:17 PM
PSUice944
Pro

Well, I guess only need 5 of the #1156 as I wasn't going to bother with the hood light, but hey, why not.

Yeah, sign me up for 5 of the halogens then, as my clusters have had "blinker fluid" issues in the past, who knows what can go in in there anymore.

I know your full Positive cable package is rather involved coming from the alternator. I had my wrench freshen that up when I relocated the the thing. I do know my grounding sucks, and there was some extensive talk of an "auxiliary ground"? I believe you had a procedure and parts? That's what I'm mainly interested in, unless there is a "half" positive upgrade?

Thanks again (samy email addy) and zip is 15642
Old 07-19-2003, 06:47 AM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Dan...

Thanks again for all the great work you've done! Now, here's my order:

1 tube of grease
4 sockets for the blank cells
2 sets of wires and terminals
13 halogen 35w bulbs

I'm going to upgrade my trailer lights as well which is the reason for this rather strange order. With so many photons shooting out the back on braking I should have a "photon cushion" should anyone try to bugger
me at a stop light! My e-mail is: kiltiemon@aol.com

Thanks, Dan!

Jim 1987 944S
Old 07-19-2003, 11:25 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Bump for the last day to get in orders as I'm closing it off and putting in the bulb order on Monday morning. Go to the first post on the thread to see the prices.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:02 AM
led
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Jim 944S
With so many photons shooting out the back on braking I should have a "photon cushion" should anyone try to bugger
me at a stop light!
More like a photon gun if you ask me.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:15 AM
afx
Racer

Hi, I would like to order:

2 - Dead cell sockets
1 - Tinned spade connectors/wire
4 - 1156 Bulbs
2 - 35 Watt Halogens

This is going to 78759
Old 07-20-2003, 01:06 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

I'll put together the final tally tonight and place the order in the morning.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:27 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Closed off.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:05 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Well, I reviewed the list and placed the bulb order.

I hope I got everyone that sent me Rennlist Private Messages as I can't go back and review that as John D. crashed and burned them with the forum software change.

Simpson Man, I show you on the list for (3) 35 watt haolgens, only. I don't know where that order came from, I can't seem to find any message for it but I did purge a bunch of your historical e-mails. Anyway, I included it in the main order.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:25 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Ok, we have a MAJOR supply problem. I can only get 20 of the 35 watt halogens from Phillips/Narva. The rest have to be backordered. With expected delivery in September or October.

I'm going to allocate the ones I can get to the international guys so we only have one box to ship and not double the cost of their components with two shipments. Then I will send the remainder to the first that signed up.

For the rest of the orders, what to do? I called around and the bulbs will be between 12 to 15 bucks each for the German ones! This is no good. I guess I am really on the "A List" with my bulb supplier. I can get plenty of Taiwan 30 watt halogen bulbs for about $5 each when I add in my costs. Not the best but could be a nice stop gap measure until Phillips runs the new build in September. I have a sample 30 watt Taiwan bulb burning in one of my brake lights for several months and it seems to be OK, but this is a pretty short test time.

Tell me what you USA guys would like to do as only 1 or 2 are going to get filled out. I guess the bottom line is that these bulbs are very rare and hard to get. The cops and rescue vehicles use them but order in bulk a couple times a year. So if you want spares, better get them when the order comes in.

What a mess. Like Cibie all over again.

Last edited by IceShark; 07-21-2003 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:08 PM
Mouthpiece
Addict
Rennlist Member

For $5 apiece, I will take the Taiwan 30 watt halogens as a stop gap while waiting for the 35 watt Phillips. Thanks for going through all this trouble for us!

Terry
Old 07-21-2003, 02:11 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Terry, I got stuck in traffic for a couple hours driving around and mulled this over. I should have ordered the 35 watt bulbs right away but had no clue how many to order.

I can get plenty of good German 50 watt halogen bulbs but I wouldn't want to use them in anything but reverse light and underhood. They are the same price but just burn too hot if you light them up for 5 or 6 minutes in a plastic lens.

One of the big reasons you want German bulbs is that they are manufacturered to tighter tolerances and higher quality. But we are not looking at forward lighting bulbs and how good they work with a lens designed to the standard spec for filaments. So the Taiwan 30 watt halogen bulbs may not last as long as German but will be a big improvement over the incandescent stock bulbs. Heck, even Hella is getting these manufactured out of the same Asian plant and re-branding them. One of the dirty secrets of Hella.

So just let me know what you USA guys want to do. I'll put in a new order at the end of the week to supplement whatever people want.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:03 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Iceman - fill mine whichever way you can - i trust ya!
btw...i finished the install on my 'full-boat' kit. realllllly nice. love it. picked up my girlfriend the other night after putting it in - she saw me coming for blocks away. said the lights looked very 'porsche' - i guess thats a good thing! sent you a PM, too - thanks!

Quick Reply: Exterior Bulb and Dead Light Orders